Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4 low pressure at tickover. Any thoughts on these - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4 low pressure at tickover. Any thoughts on these

I know the SE and S4 engines can show ridiculously low oil pressure when warm at tickover.. Saw this on a performance site. Would one be a possible solution??

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=24-006

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2018 at 15:22, Clarky5150 said:

I know the SE and S4 engines can show ridiculously low oil pressure when warm at tickover.. Saw this on a performance site. Would one be a possible solution??

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=24-006

Most of the time replacing big end con rods shells improves it.  You can replace them with engine in-situ, just drop the pan and work from below. See posting #216  here

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/x180-improvements-246153/index11.html

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• Gold FFM

Woah @Clarky5150 don’t start looking to solutions to problems that are not there.

the gauges aren’t the best for that application - top of the red is 1 bar.

1500rpm im sure the manual states 1.5 bar is normal - just over red......

Only here once

The earlier engines, which are effectively mechanically identical are ok down to 5psi at idle (Lotus data).   These motors have a lot of bearings and a small oil pump.   As others suggest, I wouldn't worry to much, but obviously keep your oil and filters in good order    

• Like 1

I hear what you are saying however in this recent hot weather I have been getting the red light illuminating briefly when up to temperature when pulling away from standstill. I appreciate this may be within specs but they couldn't have done that when new or owners would have been returning them. There must be something that can be done in 2018 to sort this 1980s engineering issue (pulling the red light is not an option)

Best few dollars I spent was for the fitting to tee a pressure gauge into the oil line at the turbo.  

There is still that feeling of trepidation when you see the needle in the red, or the flicker of the red light as you first rev it up, but at least you know what you have.  

There is something to be done to solve this in 2018. of course.  Buy a 2018 Lotus.  They don't do it.  Else, add it to the "Esprit experience".

Lotus installed 0-5 senders and 0-7 dials on the S4.  It will always read low. 

• Love 1

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

6 hours ago, s4simon said:

Lotus installed 0-5 senders and 0-7 dials on the S4.  It will always read low. 

Now that I can believe! Amazing what you can buy for a few quid now Barry, that would have been hundreds prior to eBay and such.. If the gauge in the car does read low is there any way to put something inline similar to the anti slosh for the fuel to rectify? I can hear Barry gasping in despair but I always have an eye on what a potential buyer would think come sale time. Red light spells danger to the uninformed.

or find a more suitable sender....

• Gold FFM

I think you need to look at what’s going on.

do you have the correct oil in it ?

and what is the real measured oil pressure?

oil pressure senders can and do go faulty. You need to ensure oil is correct and measure what’s going on to point you in the correct direction.

the s4s I have has had a full engine rebuild. At tickover  when cold it’s 4.5 on the gauge when hot just over 1. This increases proportionaly to rpm - just like it specs in the service notes. 

The guage on mine under reads slightly

The S4 is exactly the same as well. The previous owner pulled the lump on the S4s for what he considered a rebuild to correct oil pressure as he believed the shells to be shot. I had the old shells when I bought the car - there was chuff All wrong with them - a bit of wear but they would have gone on for another 30k miles i expect

Only here once

I agree with most comments you're probably worrying about nothing. I do understand you, I also always keep an eye on pressure and temperature gauges. But don't forget most cars don't even have such a gauge to worry about!

Make sure you have the correct oil (20W50 or 20W60) and a correct and recent oil filter. If you really want to be sure, a quality analogue pressure gauge is the way to go.

Greetz,

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 6 months later...
On 04/06/2018 at 05:20, Clarky5150 said:

I hear what you are saying however in this recent hot weather I have been getting the red light illuminating briefly when up to temperature when pulling away from standstill. I appreciate this may be within specs but they couldn't have done that when new or owners would have been returning them. There must be something that can be done in 2018 to sort this 1980s engineering issue (pulling the red light is not an option)

On our 910 engines the cam towers are getting too much oil. You may install an oil line restrictor in the oil pump housing (block side). This can be done with a minimal dis-assembly. Just take off the plenum and a pump cover.  Press into the upper oil channel an Ally plug with 0.080"- 0.100" hole in it.

Result = more oil will be directed to bearings and pressure will improve.

page44image1488[1].png

MrDangerUS

This is the other method described, drill a recess with a guide block and press in a plug with some sealant into the Aux housing oil passage to the hole that feeds the head.

Only easier to do if you're leaving the head on, and it's value as far as boosting pressure is open to debate....

I wish it was as easy to add a wider pump rotor!

AuxOilRestrictor (1)small.jpg