Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 113 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

Colin G

Never heard of that before and not sure Lotus do an after market warranty outside of the 3 year normal one. I think that dealer is pulling your todger to be honest!

If it's a decent aftermarket exhaust from an established reputable manufacturer/fabricator you won't have a problem I would think.

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yeah I guess it's some sort of aftermarket warranty, as there's a limit to what they can offer with an older car.  But I was given the impression they want the car to be as close to Lotus standard as it can be if they are going to sell it for me and they want to sell it with some sort of guarantee to whoever buys it (this was with Lotus Silverstone).  The other thing they mentioned (as I told them the stitching on the dash was coming apart down near the centre of the window, as happens frequently with some of the older Evoras) is they ideally wanted to replace the dash as well (an item which I gather is on back order).  So they clearly want to get it as good as it can be to sell.

Edited by Bibs

Bought mine last may from leven lotus. 

Car was registered march 2016 & covered 7100 miles when I purchased.. The car came with an aftermarket warranty 

My 8 year old Evora had a warranty, aftermarket without doubt but any issues in the first year were dealt with. And I mean any issues, no quibble by the main dealer I bought the car from. 

I think it is rather dealer dependant, Lotus Silverstone have a good reputation so suspect they want a car as standard and will offer a very comprehensive back-up to the new owner.

Other dealers, particularly non-franchise, I doubt would care. They will give a 3 or 6 month aftermarket warranty and probably make any new owner deal with a claim themselves.

Justin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kier said:

Yeah I guess it's some sort of aftermarket warranty, as there's a limit to what they can offer with an older car.  But I was given the impression they want the car to be as close to Lotus standard as it can be if they are going to sell it for me and they want to sell it with some sort of guarantee to whoever buys it (this was with Lotus Silverstone).  The other thing they mentioned (as I told them the stitching on the dash was coming apart down near the centre of the window, as happens frequently with some of the older Evoras) is they ideally wanted to replace the dash as well (an item which I gather is on back order).  So they clearly want to get it as good as it can be to sell.

Completely understand that but its not a Lotus warranty.

I think the better dealers,even if they're selling a car with aftermarket warranty they will offer additional assistance on top of that warranty - after all they want to hook you as a permanent customer.. 

Leven lotus hinted at this with my purchase but sadly geographic location would prevent this from happening considering I'm in Dorset and they're in Edinburgh 😅

34 minutes ago, steve930 said:

I think the better dealers,even if they're selling a car with aftermarket warranty they will offer additional assistance on top of that warranty - after all they want to hook you as a permanent customer.. 

Leven lotus hinted at this with my purchase but sadly geographic location would prevent this from happening considering I'm in Dorset and they're in Edinburgh 😅

That is how Bell and Colvill work and suspect Lotus Silverstone are much the same, though I have no experience of the latter. 

Justin 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve930 said:

As long as the dealer stays in business, as the Proclaimers once sang, "Leven no more, and I will drive 500 miles to my nearest dealers door!"

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

When I purchased my Evora from Snows I got their 12 month warranty and my car was nearly 8 yrs old then

i opted to go with lotus dealer rather than non lotus and I recall passing over some cars that others here even went out of their way to view on my behalf 

personally I paid a little extra for the lotus dealer assurance but I think every one needs to evaluate their own buying preferences and decisions  

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

i sold my lotus evora  s1 via silverstone in about 1 month in november..  they carried out a  very thorough inspection, they had. few bits to do, nothing big £300 (mudflaps new Mot, one wheel repair for a ant size chip!) i remember..  it had 3rd cat delete , after market reverse sensors (i thought they were original ) re trim work    their   warratny is NOT lotus i think it is premier protect,? but they did speak about pooling money and giving their own in future as it would work out cheaper..for them    i cant fault their service.. flat  selling fee and it sold through foot traffic through the door,  which was why i went with them as i thought most exposure and best option..   id imagine that it would be the warranty company clause,, they are worried about..  engine goes pop, warranty company inspect and its got aftermarket exhaust. sorry sir were not paying..    as a point of note,,  Castle lotus who i purchased my car from 4 years previously didnt want to buy it back  this despite it being better than how they sold it to me.. (would steer clear of them as not  really a lotus dealer at all IMO)  B&C only offer a buy service not sorn so you take a bigger hit..  , strattons lotus do a Sorn too ..  ..    all would take it on trade against another car..  id say 80% of lotus silverstone cars are sorn

funny times to sell a car..  good luck

on your dash they all split inthat place as the leather skrinks ,  a small square piece of black leather pushed in and stuck carefully bonds the two together..and looks factory  ,  ordere 4 samples from a leather company chose the perfect bit and fix in. the samples are perfect size :

• Like 2

10 hours ago, andyj007 said:

on your dash they all split inthat place as the leather skrinks ,  a small square piece of black leather pushed in and stuck carefully bonds the two together..and looks factory  ,  ordere 4 samples from a leather company chose the perfect bit and fix in. the samples are perfect size :

Good tip. I am a bit paranoid about damage to the dashboard on cars, having had a plastic one melt in the UK sun on a classic Austin. 

I use a sun-shade on the Excel (inside the screen, held with suction pads). On Evora, I currently lay a fabric on the roll-top of the dash if leaving it in sunny weather. I think the sun dries out the leather and it shrinks. 

It happens on Porsche 928. Circa £3k fix on those.

Fabric on the sun-exposed length of a dashboard, leather or other, is just a bad idea long-term. Lotus had terrible warranty issues with the 70s fabrics, used in the wedges, from the sunny US states. Materials are better now but ultimately will be damaged over time if left exposed. 

Justin 

Probably a must in California and similar climes. A bit excessive perhaps for UK but certainly if your Evora is sitting in the sun for long periods, some protection is wise.

Justin 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know the car - but it's strong money (IMO) given the current situation. That being said, it looks good - I'd just want it to be super clean for that money. MOT has flagged issues with a rear disks for a few years, so get those checked. Same with the front lights (might need polishing). Looks like a 2bular exhaust, which is a bonus. Few tweaks (gearbox, headunit) seems to suggest it's been well looked after.

Most importantly, check the clutch, I would *definitely* want it done for that money!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Cheap as chips. Nice colour.

Id flog mine on for that - but not for less that’s for sure. Even in the current climate - don’t lose sight of how many folks are ripping the cheap finance from the government🤪

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, MattyB said:

I don't know the car - but it's strong money (IMO) given the current situation. That being said, it looks good - I'd just want it to be super clean for that money. MOT has flagged issues with a rear disks for a few years, so get those checked. Same with the front lights (might need polishing). Looks like a 2bular exhaust, which is a bonus. Few tweaks (gearbox, headunit) seems to suggest it's been well looked after.

Most importantly, check the clutch, I would *definitely* want it done for that money!

Thanks, yeah I thought the same TBH and asked the questions. Brakes were done tail end of last year, clutch about 8k miles ago. Didn't ask about the lights so good shout, going to view it next week so will check those.

I wanted to black pack whatever I got so that's saved a few pounds and the exhaust as you say so there is some mitigation. Not sure what head unit that is looks like something from 2012-13? Will probably change it as I want Android auto.

Anything else I should look for when viewing? 

Airbag, engine cover struts, Lights and lacquer

In the link above there is no price, only that it's been reserved so can't comment on the 'Strong money' chat but one thing you might want to look at is the passenger airbag cover, is this flush? - Has it ever been replaced? - It's a common fault and expensive fix.

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, Greido said:

In the link above there is no price, only that it's been reserved so can't comment on the 'Strong money' chat but one thing you might want to look at is the passenger airbag cover, is this flush? - Has it ever been replaced? - It's a common fault and expensive fix.

Thanks Greido, listed at £28k

@TdM what is the mileage? I paid 28k for my 50,000 miler in 2018 with a 1 year warranty. 2010 car. 

I think Scott at Bell and Colvill ordered this as stock in that colour. 

Gearknob is wrong...a common switch for some bizarre reason. 

Check the windows close properly and flush.

It may have long-ratio gearbox, some like others don't. Close ratio is my preferred and standard from 2011 onwards.

Justin  

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks Jep, it's at @ 38k miles so not too bad. Is there any way to find out which box before driving it? Maybe ask Lotus?