Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 147 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

Colin G

When I was looking to buy, a sales guy at a Lotus dealer told me the Evora (Toyota) engine was made to have an automatic gearbox and so the IPS was a more natural fit, and Lotus had to adapt the design to allow for a manual...  is this true or was he just trying to sell me the IPS that was on the forecourt!? I ended up buying a manual from somewhere else...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, Goatboy said:

Still some folk who don't like them, and still a market where manual and driver involvement is king. Unless you drive a Porsche. 😉

Flappy paddles have very much been the rage over the past few years. Lots of talk and bollocks re the speed of DSG etc, but to me, even a properly driven IPS will be faster at changing gears than pretty much anyone else on here with a manual.

I sometimes feel it doesn't matter what Lotus do, people will slate them, even on here.

Stick in a manual gear box, and all you get is bitching and whining and moaning re the cost of a new clutch, the gearchange is notchy, the engine doesn't "blip" properly when you try to heal and toe etc.

Stick in an auto - ah, but it's slow (yeah, FFS, your measuring in tenths/hundredths of a second you muppet and are you doing it properly?), it's not a dual clutch, 36 speed with 16 clutches and every gear instantly available, yadda yadda.

I really do wonder sometimes, especially with what people are paying, what they expect!

But maybe I'm just the muppet.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

18 minutes ago, AdeMorton said:

When I was looking to buy, a sales guy at a Lotus dealer told me the Evora (Toyota) engine was made to have an automatic gearbox and so the IPS was a more natural fit, and Lotus had to adapt the design to allow for a manual...  is this true

It is true. 

The manual gearbox requires an adaptor plate. The auto box doesn’t. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

I've had auto cars, flappy paddle autos and single clutch 'automatics'. My personal view, even a fairly slow modernish single clutch box is fine once you learn to go with it. I haven't driven an IPS but I'm fairly certain it'll be around as quick or quicker than the old ZF 6 speed that I used to have in the Jag and that was perfectly fine.

I bought a manual because I missed driving a manual (more to do!) On the other hand, automatics are really nice for just blasting along a road or track. You don't need to worry about timing the gears as much just smash those paddles up and down as you need to and concentrate on getting the flow of the corners right.

I currently have both manual and flappy paddle loaded cars, I enjoy both. There's lots of snootiness in the car world, just drive what feels good to you at the time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Goatboy said:

God it sounds epic when it does it too. 

Yup!  It makes you sound like a driving god for sure. I have spent several hundred miles roaring around the IoM behind @Colin P's lovely MSG 400 IPS and it still never sounds "old" or boring due to his downshifts "blipping". Just sounds epic!

I have flappy paddles on my S90, totally different car to the Evora of course (it has proper rear seats for a start!) but to be honest I think I used them once. My wife's car has the flappies too, and I never use them either.

However, an Evora IPS, no issues from me and I'd be using the flappies for that blipping all the time! :)

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

14 hours ago, Goatboy said:

It's simply overpriced. It was for sale when launch edition cars were available readily at £23-25k. It was at £30k. It's nothing particularly special to warrant the extra £5k, and as others have said the IPS is a smaller market buyers wise.

Across the board older Evora pricing has risen and is still going up. £2k increase in a year isn't much off a true market reflection. During the late 2019's and early 2020's price dropped to a level where there was a mahosive price difference between you NA, S and 400. With NA's at £27k, S's at £32-35 then the cheapest 400 at £54k. 

What the market is doing here is reflecting peoples demand. An Evora for £30k is an affordable supercar, £54k isn't for the layman. So the Evora's that were "Too Cheap" have been snapped up and now there is a shortage of good used stock. It should be noted that the 400's have come down nearly £10k to compensate and can now be got for £45k

Part of my job is monitoring CAP and used values and I can tell you that 2 years ago there were about 20 older NA and S's for sale in the £25-35k bracket. As of today there is two showing from a private seller as a NA 59 Plate at £28k and a 15 plate at £35500. Obviously some dealers aren't currently advertising due to Lockdown but even being said there are an awful lot less around now.  Then you are into the 400's at £46k.

As a last point of proof, I bought my NA for £27k 3 years ago. I was offered £30k for it a few months ago. 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

3 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

As a last point of proof, I bought my NA for £27k 3 years ago. I was offered £30k for it a few months ago. 

And at that price it was a bloody bargain and over 10% less than I got for it as a PX!

At £30k, even with the work you have had to do to it it will have cost you nothing for 3 years. Bet you're glad you did not sell it now!  I'm glad you did'nt!

The small print.

1 minute ago, C8RKH said:

And at that price it was a bloody bargain and over 10% less than I got for it as a PX!

At £30k, even with the work you have had to do to it it will have cost you nothing for 3 years. Bet you're glad you did not sell it now!  I'm glad you did'nt!

It was a bargain at the time and I think anyone getting one under £30k for a sorted model, is doing well. I haven't even seen her for 4 months now as she has been in Air Con'd lockup over winter. Thinking of getting her out soon. 

I am glad I didn't sell her. Really want to come up and see you guys this year and Hoon around Scotland. 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I have flappy paddles on my S90, totally different car to the Evora of course (it has proper rear seats for a start!) but to be honest I think I used them once.

The paddles or the seats :hrhr:

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

2 hours ago, Kimbers said:

I am glad I didn't sell her. Really want to come up and see you guys this year and Hoon around Scotland. 

@Colin Pmight be persuaded too!  The local "lads and lassies" up here are always keen to get the Loti too so.

Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June

In an Evora pullin' a ton

Kimbers with a splitter on

Colin motoring through the cattle grate

We is headin' for a bear on the A838

'Bout a mile outta Durness Town

I say "Kimbers, this 'ere is your rubber ducky honey and it's time to put the hammer down!"

Cause we've got a little.........

undefined

18 minutes ago, Colin P said:

The paddles or the seats :hrhr:

Both!

The small print.

Great film Convoy.

Absolutely up for it. Never expected that I'd need a vaccine before taking a trip to Scotland though :yes:.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

16 minutes ago, Colin P said:

Great film Convoy.

Absolutely up for it. Never expected that I'd need a vaccine before taking a trip to Scotland though :yes:.

I've always risked it without. You'll be fine.

Oh, I see 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Across the board older Evora pricing has risen and is still going up. £2k increase in a year isn't much off a true market reflection. 

Very interesting @Kimbers

Do we have enough data to prove this? With virtually no cars for sale in the lower end of the market I don't see we do?

as always low availability has meant some have raised prices, but are they selling? The Silverstone car is being a great example.

When I got my MY12 S IPS 18months ago Silverstone had it advertised at £36k, now I didn't pay that, but by the basic logic I should be asking £38k for mine and j have spent some money on it to improve it since.

I haven't advertised it but I doubt I would get any calls at that price. I am actually expecting considerably less than that...

• Gold FFM

I think if that's what is on sale at that price someone who wants one will buy it. You can't buy what isn't on sale and if you want an Evora, what else are you going to do?

I wouldn't turn down the Silverstone cars in that price area. You also know it came from a decent dealer so have peace of mind.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruss said:

I've always risked it without. You'll be fine.

I didn't think you had vaccines in France, ironic really!

Just throw a rope of garlic round your neck and you'll be fine.

The small print.

21 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I didn't think you had vaccines in France, ironic really!

Just throw a rope of garlic round your neck and you'll be fine.

Apparently some bstd stole them before they were delivered.

• Haha 1

LOL.

I didn't actually do anything, but I am happy that the vaccines have gone to the country with the highest death rate and the highest number of deaths, still. You need them more than anyone else.

18 minutes ago, Bruss said:

I didn't actually do anything

Yup. You sound more like Macron each day :)

The small print.