Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 116 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

Colin G

Once I spotted the oil leak when I was changing the compressor I gave up, so I never started to look at the water leaks. 

I traded the car in Scotland and the garage were sending it to auction hence it now being in Newcastle. I won't give an exact figure but it was under 20k.

I had the car for 4 years and it lived outside the whole time I had it. Like I say the car was great it never let me down once. It was a daily driver so a lot of the miles are motorway (40miles a day).

Also a bit more history it was a Caterham management car when it was new. I bought it from Murrays in Edinburgh the owner before me had it a year and did 1000 miles in it!

Hi David, thanks for the additional information. To be honest I'm unsure what to do. I would expect the garage to fix the oil leak before sale and also to rectify the water leaks. I'm not sure I could get them to sort out the aircon though and of course the clutch would be a worry. But I realise that all of this is reflected in the price of the car. So I'm now wondering to myself if I should perhaps spend another 5 to 10 thou and get a (supposedly better built?) 2012 onwards car or if I should pay the much lower price for your old car and just hope for the best. I must say when I saw it in the flesh it did look awesome. I wasn't sure about the colour until I saw it but when I did I thought it really worked well on the car. The showroom was full of Porsches and Mercs but to me the Lotus really stood out. Thanks for giving me a clue as to the price. That may help with negotiations if I go ahead. The salesman gave me the impression that they had bought the car direct from a careful owner and that it was not an auction car. Guess it's best not to be too trusting. Also thanks for the offer of the plate, however I do have a number to put on it if I get it. I would have thought you'd get a decent price for it though. Best regards, Dave

The 2012 MY car is not better built. The interior trim was revised and is a bit better, and if that is worth £5-10k more to you than great but still built in the same way by tge same people in the same place.

If you look at the warranty charts the earlier cars actually have performed better (i.e. less warranty work) than the MY12 plus cars.

The dealer, not being a Lotus dealer, will have no clue about the water leaks or how to fix them - a lot of Lotus dealers struggled to.... 😆. Happy to pay for your drinks at the TLF xmas do if they've actually sorted it.

If the aircon is not working they they are obligated to fix it. No discussion. No worry. They seem to offer a minimum 6 month RAC backed warranty which would help too.

I bet they have that car at around a £5k margin and will be looking to make £3k on it. Even with 68k miles the price is attractive and we know the engines/gearboxes are solid and can take miles.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Buy one privately. Any warranty won’t cover the clutch anyway as it’s a consumable part.

Theres no shortage of cars about - a 68k one from a non lotus dealer at strong money is frankly no better than just grabbing a private sale car.

absolutely nothing has been an issue on mine.

• Like 1

Only here once

Offer them £23k cash, then put the money you save in the bank for the clutch when you need it. Job done.  You know the previous owner is on here and he has been pretty honest re the car and condition.

The forged wheels are a great bonus and look superb.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The car did come from a careful owner :) I just never sold it to them it definitely went to auction.

I'm making the car sound worse than it is I'm a bit of a perfectionist. The car wanted for nothing. I changed all of the suspension as it was looking tired. 

The car was recently fully mopped to remove swirls from the paint, The only issue in my eyes is the oil leak make sure that is fixed and it should be if they inspected it. The water leaks can be resolved I'm sure and they only appeared in the last month of ownership. I've not had the car since March.

I've spent a lot of money on the car in the last few months between brakes, Clutch mc and air con condenser from Lotus. The clutch still feels great and the car wasn't launched hard most of the miles are motorway like I said. Most clutch failures seem to happen early on in the early cars.

I think following Colin's advice try and knock a couple of grand off or walk away. I would also ask about what they have fixed on the car to prep it to see if they mention the oil leak.

• Like 2

Just want to say a big thanks to Scotsdave for all his advice and info and to everyone else for their advice. I'm still mulling things over but I think a price of around £23,000 would be fair and if I decide I want the car then that is probably what I'll offer. Thanks again all, Dave

• Like 2

That S is a beauty and seems value to me. Perfect colours and I think you could add 15,000 miles to that and not lose much in depreciation. The only thing I would miss over an early Evora is the aluminium dash panel trims around the 'icon' buttons; not such a fan of the black but only because the original style was to me spot-on.

Justin

I agree re the aluminium dash trims @jep - the black coated ones just look nasty to me in comparison. Lotus got so many things just spot on and right with the original S1, they really did.

Would like to get back in one, one day, but will build another bloody garage first......

• Like 1

The small print.

My old NA for sale on pistonheads at a dealer’s for a hefty price. 

D1575515-D995-487E-B612-38C341C880BC.jpeg

• Like 1

That's a lovely, crisp looking, Evora.

• Like 1

The small print.

That is a hefty price. Great news for NA owners if it sells for anywhere near that. I would have guessed a 2010 NA with 40k miles would sell privately for 25k to 26k, dealer 28k to 30k tops. 

Not sure air conditioning was option, I thought standard on all Evora. 

Justin  

The price range for Evora's seems to be narrowing now quite a bit. Essentially £25k - £60k for the earliest cars to the latest 400's/410's.

• Like 1

The small print.

Its funny regarding the black pack, for me the Evora is very colour dependent on the need to apply it.

I think the yellow car is crying out for it, but the liquid blue car should definitely stay without, especially with silver wheels.

And yes the liquid blue car, as lovely as it is, is very much overpriced and would have been a couple of years ago when entry level was around £28k.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

I agree that car looks nice without the black pack, I do generally prefer the Evora with it though. The 'pinch' in the middle makes it look a lot sleeker than without it.

Definitely overpriced, but if you look at what is available at the moment on PH at least, I can see where they are going with it. There's one at 30k in a probably hard to sell (even if historic) paint scheme and IPS just below it at higher miles, an all black number with cloth back seats and a recent slightly late service for £28.5k privately and then other Lotus dealer cars of which even the S at the same price is an IPS.

That doesn't make it good value at £33k but from a relative standpoint a near perfect car from a Lotus dealership could be seen in context as one of the better options at this specific point in time which is exactly how cars appreciate.

That position will change as soon as another car is listed at less than this with similar draw or a manual S at a similar price from a dealer (that laser blue number does put some pressure on it though, but still it's private which does make a difference to many)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@Smithy111 The yellow Evora S Sports Racer at Paul Matty has had its engine replaced; it was discussed back on page 106 of this thread.

Linky below will take you there - scroll two thirds down the page.

Looking in detail at the photos of the Evora IPS in Gold Leaf colours for sale at the same dealer, is it me or is there a crack in the nearside corner of the front bumper on the lip below the oil cooler intake and a chunk missing off it at the bottom of the front left wheel arch?

Edited by EuropaSman
Correcting smelling pistakes.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png