Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine Stalling At Closed Loop - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine Stalling At Closed Loop

Ginger pig

Hi Guys,

It feels like I am re-living ground hog day......

So I recently completed a C service on the Esprit Turbo SE.

Had a few issues but overcame them... I have just one issue left!

As the title suggests; the car idles great for around 5 mins but then as soon as it goes to closed loop the engine starts to struggle before finally stalling.

No engine management lights illuminated until it finally stalls.

Please see attached File..... I cannot see anything untoward but I am hoping that someone might be able to cast their eyes over it and quickly ascertain what the problem could be.

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheers

Mark

091118a.csv

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Will it restart?? This is exactly what the IAC valve does on the old cavaliers 

Don't tell me you had a Cavalier !!!!. Gob smacked, utterly astounded in fact. Almost as bad as if you were to say you had one of Andy's favorite Audi's.

When the ecu determines closed loop operation is permitted the HEGO sensor shows a rich condition and the integrator reduces the fuel to try to get the HEGO sensor to switch lean. As the HEGO sensor remains indicating rich the integrator keeps on reducing the fuel to such a point that the engine stalls.

• Like 1

Thanks Derek,

is the HEGO sensor the O2 sensor?

would this indicate that the O2 sensor is malfunctioning or could there be another reason for it not to be reading correctly (it was an engine out c service which meant all the exhaust system was dismantled and then refitted)?

Cheers

Mark

• Gold FFM

If the O2 sensor has been contaminated with release agent or copperslip that really tends to ruin the things. The cable can burn against the exhaust or turbo. 

Are the O2 levels moving in freescan log? I can’t open it on an ipad

Only here once

The HEGO sensor values do not look OK. When HEGO value changes from its 'HEGO Initialisation Value' (aka KO2FF0) parameter value of 0.46 volts it jumps to over 1 volt and stays there until the engine is restarted (whereupon it gets reset). Because the sensor is continuously reporting a rich condition the ecu ends up pulling over 60% of the fuel thereby causing the stall.

• Like 2

Cheers Derek, that’s great advice!👍😀

At least I have a clear path now!

i’ll let You know once I have completed the process and hopefully have her MOT’d by next week!!!

thanks for all your help guys.👍😀

@Ginger pigI had the same issue with my car when buying the aftermarket alternative from a well known supplier...mail the supplier and tell them about your experience with the part. The more of us that let them know the part isn't fit for purpose, the better. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

They either work or don’t. Issues with these sensors are well documented on here.

the O2 voltage should sway all over the place just like Bibs post above. If it’s not doing that then it’s sensor or wiring at fault

• Like 1

Only here once

Evening gents,

tried cleaning the sensor and connections in the vein hope of reviving it... alas; it would appear that this unit is dead!!

other than SJ; are there any other alternatives which members would recommend?

cheers

mark