Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Type 130 - Lotus Evija - Page 18 - Type 130 - Lotus Evija - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Type 130 - Lotus Evija

Tex

Great article. I think the author will eventually get what they want from Lotus. As the Lotus CEO said, "The Evija is a statement of intent." I am sure Lotus talked about this a lot. I think starting at the top and whittling down is the better way to go. You create a poster car, you gain attention back to the brand, and you can trickle the tech and knowledge learned down to the new Esprit, Evora and Elise-like cars. Not just electrical knowledge and tech, but aerodynamics, interior, ICE, production methods, etc. I think if Lotus unveiled a new electric Elise. Even if it looked great, and great specs, etc. you just wouldn't get the attention from the mainstream media or even mainstream car media that Lotus wants. I mean, I have seen Lotus on CNN and Bloomberg recently. IMO there is no way they make it on such shows and publications with just a new Elise.

I get it, I am not super patient either and would have rather saw something closer to my affordability window, but from a business stand point I think this is the right way to go. It makes me more excited to see what they can take from the Evija and put in more "affordable" models in the future. Hopefully we will see some combustion engines in the mix as well. Plus with the new mid engined C8 throwing a wrench into the sports car market it will be interesting to see what Lotus and other brands do to differentiate themselves. Mid-engined sports cars are about to get way less exotic once you see C8s on every corner. Time to start thinking outside the box.

Edited by Likuid
  • Like 1

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

For me, kind of an odd article.  Trying to re-make a point that's been tried before.  Manufacturers build what people buy.  The Toyota GT86 was a car they thought people would be want by the bucket load - with the emphasis on lower power and superb handling.  It was critically acclaimed.  It didn't sell that well.  It wasn't what people wanted.  Similar applied to the Honda CR-Z, which was a great little car again - a bold experiment by Honda, responding to a trend they thought was emerging but which wasn't.

What the article does lend itself to though, perhaps without meaning to is that it shows EV is not the answer - but it is responding to the market.  The engineering issues of EV haven't been overcome, shy of some wondrous invention or a change in the laws of physics.  I'm not usually pessimistic but I think we're a few generations away from that sort of thing.  By then of course, peoples expectations (and memories) of cars will have changed and so will the way these things are evaluated.

Naturally, anything is possible in the future, right but I think all we'll really see is a jump in price points to a level of un-affordability for the masses combined with a new system of buying a car and then buy your batteries to go in it (probably lease your batteries).  Oh and Mercedes product range will comprise more models than there are species left in the rain forest.

Personally, I think hydrogen fuel cells were a much better proposition, despite its own challenges.

That being said, its clear the Evija will be a huge accomplishment for Lotus, and a very capable vehicle with its technologies and concepts filtering down the range...just minus the affordable bit.

• Like 1

This conversation belongs more to the future of Lotus but thread I don't know if  we'll see a price jump in our lifetime, I do think that the so called Vision 80 is fairly conservative in terms of price variation, it does include, a halo hypercar and did so from the get go, but for the rest it is pretty much Lotus' own and time delayed version of Porsche development from the early 90's with a few variation and much higher tempo.  Porsche was able to stretch its brand thanks to part sharing  components with its group brethren  back then... Well a thorough look at Evija will show you that Lotus is gearing up to do just the same ; If you look at the Evija seats, well they are a volvo designed seat, not a Recaro, a Sparco or Sabelt but Volvo's own concept seat:

94c8e0f1c7435bcc4d8d53d8051c87c5.jpg

Lotus made it look racier by exposing the carbon shell and playing with paddings, but it is very much the same seat that Volvo has been developing with for a while. I do think the same happened  with the AC vents, they are pretty with that aluminium piece of trim but I could sware I have seen this very vent design on some Geely products.

The Evija being a halo product it will enjoy maximum level of "bespokisation"  but all future models, while retaining a good amount of Lotus design will incorporate a lot of Geely group DNA. The devil will be in the details but the Volvo Geely parts bin will be raided over and over till Lotus find the exact part they need. Some of it maybe on display for all to see and will be fettled with to look the part (engine, gearbox, seat, toggles...) but most of it will be away from prying eyes (AC/HVAC system, pumps and other angine/gearbox anciliaries, wiring loom...)  and will be wholesale dropped  into the lotus chassis to perform their job. So there would be economies of scale and marginal gains made that would make pusching the price up secondary.

But back to Evija, I do think that the design team was at its best, and that the engineering team really pulled  it out  of their ... to engineer that marvel,  Now CMC will have to deliver the chassis  and the factory floor crew will have to hone their skills to assemble this beauty flowlessly, but that is the way things have always be done at Lotus assembling parts of various provenance to create something special and this time we can say  truly special. Now I know Lotus has been working with Prodrive on their carbon fiber body parts but has the factory been upgraded so that they can now produce them in house?

• Like 2

Musing. Will there also be a place for hydrogen ICE then? Also greenie friendly and I still get to have suck bang blow and an exhaust note. I find hydrogen fuel cells rather old school and slightly concerning. After all, Apollo 13's plumbing went pop big time...

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Aren't hydrogen fuel cell cars essentially EVs? Instead of power being stored in batteries it using electrons from the hydrogen atoms?

Also I am not convinced with hydrogen, mainly because electricity is everywhere. People can fuel EVs in their own homes. This is a huge advantage over liquid fuels. Hydrogen may be most common element, but its also very combustible.

There always seems to be trade offs no matter which way you go. No perfect solutions (yet).

Edited by Likuid
  • Like 2

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

13 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I've said this for a while but EV will be localised, hydrogen will be national. EVs are the Betamax. Hydrogen the VHS

Great analogy!  So what will be the Blueray! 😉

Nuclear fusion powered hover cars! 

• Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Very back to the future! 😁

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

9 hours ago, Techyd said:

Great analogy!

What, that EVs are technically superior and will be used by industry professionals for years to come. But the poorer format, hydrogen fuel cells, will have the greater popular uptake? :wacko:

Actually it may be the other way around. EV may be a mainstay for your normal consumer because of its ability to allow you to fuel your car at home and the access to electricity. Hydrogen may be better for professional applications such as buses and trucks.

• Like 1

You've touched on the elephant in the room, which everyone seems to avoid mentioning, at all costs, whenever EVs are discussed. Long before 8-10 years, many batteries are going to hold less charge, drain more quickly and lose available power and range. The car industry is being forced into making vast investments to make the 'electric dream' a reality, and I think one way they intend to recoup that costs is to vastly reduce the lifespan of future models and/or provide £multi-thousand battery replacements, likely with not-inconsiderable fitting fees, not to mention charges for taking away/recycling the old ones. So many (especially younger) people buy cars on hire agreements, far beyond the quality and type of models they would have been buying only a few years ago; I think car manufacturers are counting on future generations keeping cars for 2-6 years and then upgrading. Despite what we hear about battery technologies improving, the second and third owners of many of those cars are in for a shock (if there's enough charge left in their batteries to provide one!)

• Like 1

Of course the other elephant in the room is the charging infrastructure. A handful of EVs fine but we would (probably) need to double the capacity of the National Grid and power sources if the stupid things became widespread.

I get the point about hydrogen being "dangerous" but the energy packed in a cc of petrol is pretty astonishing as well. We manage to not blow ourselves up with that and have done successfully for many years. Hydrogen liquid would have to be at very high pressures or cryogenic temperatures for transport and fuelling to be liquid - with associated extra costs perhaps - but once it is in the car in a ruggedised tank then it must surely be comparable.

Hmmm. Fuel injection conversion to hydrogen. I might do my V8...

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

After watching a recent top gear where the 8 year old 65k miles Leaf was a write off due to now having a 45 mile battery range has got me questioning the idea of battery life and the recycling of a knackered old battery. Can you change the battery? How much will it cost? Can the old one be re manufactured? or is that it?

Yes you can change the battery in a car but depending on which car and which size battery you have it can cost any where from ~£7k to ~£30 to replace so doesn’t really make financial sense.  Costs may come down when more independents start offering the service rather than main dealers but it’s still going to be a huge cost.

You can’t really break them up and recycle them either so currently we have either stick them in land fill or reuse them in things like a battery bank for your home. Charges up during the day with solar power and then discharges during night time powering your home to reduce your electricity consumption.  As your home doesn’t move things like the poor power density matter less when the battery is old and past it’s best.  But that’s still not a great solution to the problem. 

I fear that the manufacturers are providing just enough life and warranty on the batteries for the first owner to have confidence in their purchase.  But subsequent owners may have to pay for expensive battery swaps to get a reasonable range from the battery.  

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Guys, I looked at moving some of these replies to a specific topic about EV etc, but there is an overlap of topics here between the Evija and EV, hydrogen etc. If I moved things there will be a hole. 

Let's keep on topic about the Evija here and take the EV/H2 replies somewhere else? Maybe here?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

5 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Hmmm. Fuel injection conversion to hydrogen. I might do my V8...

I think some people here are hoping for hydrogen because they think its going to work like gasoline. I would suggest looking up how hydrogen fuel cells actually work, which if hydrogen became a thing it would be likely use the fuel cell method and not the combustion method. It would still be an EV, but using hydrogen for the electric instead of energy stored in batteries. Also, as of now, creating H2 is very expensive and would require very large tanks to get long range. Hydrogen combustion also creates Nitrogen Oxide, which is not good. Its not a green house gas, but still not good for us. Here is video comparing combustible hydrogen to hydrogen fuel cells: 

Edited by Likuid
Sorry posted this right after Ramjet, I will go back on topic
  • Thanks 2

Yes Evija has been designed so that the battery pack can be removed, replaced and upgraded as battery tech improves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Type 130 Evil Bunny more like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The small print.