Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
So I Bought An Apple Iphone Today .... - Page 15 - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

So I Bought An Apple Iphone Today ....

fmxa

Can't believe this thread is still going after ~8 years and I'm now on an iPhone 6!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I still prefer my Pomegranate NS08. Does everything I want in a phone. 

Pomegranate NS08

• Gold FFM

My old Samsung does me fine, especially as being a technophobe, at least I can work he bloody thing for all I need. I can get emails, take crap photo's, use it as my alarm. I can even phone Wendy when I am oversea's.

15 hours ago, fmxa said:

Can't believe this thread is still going after ~8 years and I'm now on an iPhone 6!

Yeah, I can't believe people are still falling for this Apple marketing shite - did not think people really were that gullible and ready to splash so much cash on a hugely overpriced piece of shit! Obviously, that is my very humble opinion ;)

I mean, every other iphone I see has a cracked screen. They've changed power adaptors to force you to spend more money. They refused to standardise on connectivity to force you to spend more money on accessories that then trap you in the "brand". Their iOS updates gobble up so much of your non-upgradeable storage that you get less music/pictures/videos to store after every upgrade etc etc.

Oh, but they feel good as they have a metal case (which destroys the phone signal reception!) and more importantly everyone has one, so they must be good then. I just wish more iphone users would walk on the cliff paths, as they are always glued to the screen the last thing they see as they hit the rocks below will be the iphone trying to physically merge with their brains in some final act of assimilation!

Sorry, unless I wasn't making myself clear, I really truly do not like iPhones! :):):)

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Owner of an iPhone 6+, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, iPad and a girlfriend with an iPhone 5S.

Benefits? Shared calendars, photos, albums all on the cloud.

An example of how seamless and well-built Apples are - search on my MacBook for a restaurant location, reviews etc - then wander off to the car, and with a single swipe on the screen, mirror the same webpage on my MacBook. A single press and the address loads on AppleMaps to take me to the location - once I sit in the Evora, the ICE then connects to the Apple Maps and shows me the exact route, traffic, and so on. It would also automatically set the destination if I was heading to a calendar appointment (such as Newlands every 3rd Sunday). On each turning/approaching manoeuvre, my Apple Watch gives me a light buzz to advise me theres a turning coming up. A text pops up on the ICE, and so I then respond using my watch's dictation function and records it perfectly. Off the message goes. The person i'm travelling to then asks me where I am, and I send my location again from my watch. A change of song is needed, and so tell my watch to play 'Some 90s Music'. Nothing beats Scatman John.

Apple Lover through and though and wouldn't change it for the world. On the other side, my gaming laptop is a Windows. I curse the damn thing every time I load it up.

11 minutes ago, Kalli said:

Those benefits are not unique to Apple though. I have shared calendar across my phone tablet and laptop/desktop as well as sharing my wife's calendar (she also shares mine). Haven't got an Apple product in the house and wouldn't touch them. 

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• Gold FFM

I tire of giving the response "Yes, I can also do that on Android".  Seems many Apple users believe the functionality is unique to them.  Again, smart marketing.

The one nod I will concede, however, is Facetime.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Oh here we go again........  How droll and bloody predictably boring and it doesn't matter what I use.

• Like 2

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• Gold FFM

Oh rebellion on iPhone, my company phone HTC does all that iPhone does and for free. My own Phone, a glorious Samsung does all the same, and its free. If there is something that it does not to the same as the iPhone, then that means I simply dont need that function. I am on my 3rd Samsung phone and my 3rd Samsung TAB, simply because the first was stolen, the second I smashed.

4 hours ago, Kalli said:

Owner of an iPhone 6+, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, iPad and a girlfriend with an iPhone 5S.

An example of how seamless and well-built Apples are - search on my MacBook for a restaurant location, reviews etc - then wander off to the car, and with a single swipe on the screen, mirror the same webpage on my MacBook. A single press and the address loads on AppleMaps to take me to the location - once I sit in the Evora, the ICE then connects to the Apple Maps and shows me the exact route, traffic, and so on. It would also automatically set the destination if I was heading to a calendar appointment (such as Newlands every 3rd Sunday). On each turning/approaching manoeuvre, my Apple Watch gives me a light buzz to advise me theres a turning coming up. A text pops up on the ICE, and so I then respond using my watch's dictation function and records it perfectly. Off the message goes. The person i'm travelling to then asks me where I am, and I send my location again from my watch. A change of song is needed, and so tell my watch to play 'Some 90s Music'. Nothing beats Scatman John.

Apple Lover through and though and wouldn't change it for the world. On the other side, my gaming laptop is a Windows. I curse the damn thing every time I load it up.

Hmmm, let me see. So I have an Android phone. A Microsoft laptop for work. An Android tablet, Oh, and a Microsoft Desktop at home. I can see all of my calendars, including my very secure corporate email/calendar account across all my devices, at the same time across ANY of these devices regardless of make, OS, etc. I can also see my wife's and she can see mine, even though we have different accounts on different platforms etc. Wow - seems like you don't just have to have ALL APPLE to get connectivity - I guess as it is the 21st. century it's only what we would accept, eh? 

My wife's car connects seamlessly via it's in-built from the factory software to Google Maps, Google Search, Facebook, Twitter and all the other things that mean we don't have to focus or concentrate on actually driving the car. We can peruse routes, places etc, in the comfort of our own home, or anywhere BB/WIFI/3G/4G connected and decide where we want to go - check out reviews/recommendations and book a table/room etc, and then SEND it all, over the ether to the car, so when we get in, hey presto, satnav already armed and ready to go. Not an Apple in site either, but we usually take a couple of banana's for a longer journey. :)

I like my watches to be analogue, so have around 12 of them, all different makes etc., and have never seen the need for a connected watch when everything else is connected. Now, if Apple could get a fax that I could surgically implant in my arse, now, hmm, that might be useful I guess! ;);)   Nope, sorry, just don't get the fascination with paying more for less choice, functionality and upgradeability.  

All you have mentioned Kalli is ACTUALLY available outside of the Apple bubble, and guess what, you don't get ripped off for adapters and the like as there is choice.

My son has an iphone and after the last iOS upgrade he had no space for new photo's etc, because, that's right, Apple would rather you buy a whole new phone than have the simple ability to insert a MicroSD memory card to provide more storage space. Mad.....

As for Facetime, well why/how is that much different from Skype - although Skype hasn't exactly been the best through it's life, at least again you were able to communicate universally with people outside of your bubble and then you have Whatsapp, Pinterest, Tumblar, Vizio, Instagram, Vine etc etc etc...

I'm not saying Android is better. Or this brand is better than that brand. Just making a point that Apple hooks you and reels you in and then bleeds your wallet dry. Anyone else tries this and every one complains about dodgy business practices and ethics and the like. Just saying..... :)  Not so keen on the use of child labour as well as seems to get reported every now and then, but then everyone else seems to do it too I suppose, so why then is Apple stuff so expensive in comparison? I mean, it should be cheaper surely as they do not have to to worry about external connectivity etc...

Ah, the only useful use of technology is to write a diatribe on a slow Sunday afternoon when the weather is shite and you can't get out in your Lotus for some real fun....

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Wow - a lot of angry folks here today :S

At no point did I say Apple was better than Android. I merely described the simple, seamless use of them all. Having owned android versions, I personally wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. 

I can afford Apple products, I see the value in them, and consider the price a small price to pay for such an easy, well built product. I've never had any issue with an Apple product in a quality sense, and never any issue with space. I had an iPhone 5S 3 years ago - the screen came away the other week. Milton Keynes Apple exchanged it for a brand new one, free of charge. I can't see PC world doing that with some android phone. 

I'M NOT ANGRY. I JUST HAVE A FEW ISSUES TO DEAL WITH.....         :stuart::stuart::stuart:

The small print.

• Gold FFM

I love apple thingies - they are ace - and always work

but......

in this world of corruption and greed - I'm sure it's only a matter of time until they expose the truth that :help:the bloody things cause brain cancer.......

• Like 1

Only here once

Until they run out of storage or the fragile screens break :)

The small print.

• Gold FFM
25 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Until they run out of storage or the fragile screens break :)

Cheap as chips to swap.

3 kids with iPads, a clumsy wife - need I say more

reckon I could do them with my eyes closed now!!

Only here once

Aside from all the apple shortfalls listed above,  I just find their user interface BORING!  at least with android the options for personalisation are endless 

• 2 months later...

I got one last week.  I've always resisted them thinking they were too common / obvious (like a 911).  But desperate times called for desperate measures. 

I've had 2 years with an Android Sony Xperia SP on EE and it was truly terrible.  Sony make great TVs but they can't make phones.  It drove me up the bl**dy wall.  And I was using it for my business.  It took 5-10 seconds to do anything on the screen and would often freeze, and I couldn't phone anyone from it, there was no reception.  I couldn't receive calls, they would go to answer phone.  Phone calls I did make would cut out.  And after the first year I had a system update that dumped a load of Amazon apps on it and it slowed it down even more.  And a few other people I know with the same phone have had the same problems.

So I'm with Apple now and this one seems to work.  Rant over.

• 10 months later...
  • Gold FFM

So I am looking to upgrade to some sort of plan. My current GT-I9000 is old and doing some weird things. I can see all the usual phone companies touting their wares on phone websites, but reading there and on here, I have absolutely no idea which was to go. The Samsung offerings are much cheaper than then Apple offerings, so that may be what clinches the deal.

$35/mth for a Samsung S5 vs $38/mth for an iPhone SE.

The S5 shows up as being IP67 while I can't find anything on the iPhone with regard to that. I get very wet hands tiling all the time and may need to touch the iphone with wet hands.

Does that make it a no-brainer decision?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

New iphone ear pods (headphones) are £65 each from Apple if you lose one!

Total rip off. But good luck if you buy one.

Imvho Apple is the biggest rip off on the planet but its fanboys will insist it "just works".

Even Which? in the UK has finally stopped its bias if putting Apple first regardless.

The small print.

I've had iPhones for years, but I just get what I'm given, and I've never in my life paid a single penny for a mobile phone, always had one on the Company. Best phone ever was the Nokia 6310. It had 430 hours battery life, and if all you needed was to talk, and text, it was brilliant. I held out as long as possible against the Smartphone tide, but like King Canute, failed miserably. As soon I got given the first iPhone, I called Vodafone up and asked if they could take it back and give me a new 6310. The salesman commiserated, and said they'd been called numerous times with precisely the same request, but Nokia weren't playing ball.

I've now got an iPhone 6s, and it's OK, but it's got so much shite on it that I'll never use. I can't help thinking that someone needs to bring out a phone that's far simpler for old gits like me.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

That's my thoughts exactly Ian. There was a real old Nokia that I liked as well. Unbelievably long battery time and you could phone and text. That was it.

I don't need a phone that will take a photo of my lunch, load it to several social websites and then let me speak to someone with seeing them at the same time.

I don't think smartphones are that smart, truth be known.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM
36 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

I've now got an iPhone 6s, and it's OK, but it's got so much shite on it that I'll never use. I can't help thinking that someone needs to bring out a phone that's far simpler for old gits like me.

C40D90B5-48C6-48FD-9E15-8E6B1CC6B158-1564-0000043DEA25F47F_tmp.png

• Like 1

Only here once

Lol, I agree Ian. I'm not a fan of smart phones and they are getting way too expensive and have way too many features. My Samsung has two camera's FFS - I mean, why do I really need two?

Some will say it is so I can have a video call - wtf. Why would i want to do that? I don't even like looking at my own face in the mirror so why would i want to see it on my phone, and more importantly, why would anyone else want to see it on theirs?

Give a child a toy and he will play with it. Give an adult a smartphone and they turn back into a child!

Ah, the days of the good old Nokia bricks. You know, they did one thing better than any current phone could ever do - phone reception!  Yup, that's right, even way back when children had chalk and slates you could hold a mobile signal on your Nokia and make a call and actually speak to someone.

These days, with GPRS, 2G, 3G, 4G and soon to be here 5G I spend 45% of my time outside of a Vodafone signal area and that's according to their own APP that monitors it and does nothing to improve it!

Arrgghhh!  Bloody smart phones by bum - dumb phones for dumb people with little else to occupy their tiny minds. God I love Monday mornings and a good rant!

"sent from my Samsung Galaxy G34675 intergalactic universe trekking totally dumb smartphone"

The small print.