Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Where do you keep yours ? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Where do you keep yours ?

How’s it going folks hope your all well and covid hasn’t affected you all to much.

Prior to the outbreak I was hoping to see myself in an evora or exige 410 later in the year.   This has been put on hold for a while due to the covid situation but still v optimistic it will happen but maybe next year now. 
 One of the considerations for the purchase was where to house the new toy. 
I had an Elise 111r which was fairly tight in the garage. I think I would have room for an exige but not much chance if I went the evora route. 
 Would love to have a big double garage but would rather have lots of holidays Instead 😁 so just wondering where do u all keep yours and Do you think it’s essential to have a garage.
Bit concerned about having A fair few bob on the drive what say u lot ? 
cheers Matt

• Gold FFM

Garage. But it is tight. About 1.5cm either side of each wing mirror as I drive in. Annoying supporting wall between both garages and carpet on the wall is a must.

E5E8C763-2820-4E6B-9D90-DC2FE709A3A0.jpeg

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, MadMick said:

Wow! How on Earth?

Is this you?? 

image.png.45153e82136793e92b9051d215df3eb2.png

Lol. I wish -  6’6’ and 20 stone 😊

31 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

In be investing in some steelwork, some acroprops and a massive hammer.

I have thought about it but it’s a lot of time and costs. It’s cheaper to just breathe in and hold breath for 30 seconds lol. 🥴

• Haha 2

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

@mayevora  Ian if that is true it is even more amazing! .... or the pic is very deceptive. How do you even get into the car let alone out of it? OR are you 18 years old and extremely agile?

Do you pass 1 part of your body out at a time? 🥴 

M.

• Haha 1

I’ve always kept my various Lotus toys in the garage but, equally, I know many who are happy to sit them on the driveway. I guess part of my reasoning is the old problem that Lotus used to suffer from of paint bubbles caused by moisture under the gel coat. 

I don’t think that’s a problem any longer but even so, I’m not taking the chance! 😁

Probably stupidly, when I’ve not had sufficient room in the garage for all the toys, my classic old Mercedes SL would be the one that had to be banished to the outside. A pal of mine was bemused by this and once said, “but the Lotus has a plastic body and aluminium chassis while the Merc is mostly steel and known to be prone to rust! Are you mad?”😂

Probably I am but hey, my beloved Lotus cars will always be No 1 in my heart and receive the most love from me. 🤔😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I feel that this thread is going to dissuade our dear OP. Let me give you a viewpoint for your position OP.

I don't know exactly what your concerns are but, if it's car longevity, I kept an old Alfa GTV outside for 12 years, it was fine. You have to do a *little* more maintenance as some things will get attacked by the weather, but it's really not that bad (possibly different if you live next to a beach!). My GTV sold way above the 'going rate' at the time because it was in flawless condition. Yes, a car parked outside! On the road no less!

If you are worried about theft, the Evora is a relatively terrible car to steal. It's too showy to be easy to hide/discuise and not popular enough to be easy to shift on. Joy riders, struggle these days because security is pretty damn good. 90-odd percent of stolen cars these days are stolen via hijacking the signal of keyless entry systems from outside your house - if you don't have keyless entry, that's out of the window too!

If it's a thief who really wants your type of car on order and is willing to break in to get the keys or will trailer it off, chances are they know which garage it's in, when it's in and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Outcome... If you want the car, if you love the car, buy the car. It's YOUR car so concentrate on what you are comfortable with, not on what others do :).

• Like 1

My Evora lived in a standard size single garage without major problems. You had to be careful and getting in and out of the car was tight - I would lower the driver side window first which made it easier as you get a lot more space to squeeze through. It even shared the garage with my motorbike which was parked in front of the car.

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, MadMick said:

@mayevora  Ian if that is true it is even more amazing! .... or the pic is very deceptive. How do you even get into the car let alone out of it? OR are you 18 years old and extremely agile?

Do you pass 1 part of your body out at a time? 🥴 

M.

Definitely a knack lol. Open drivers door, reach in, key in ignition and turn, wind driver’s window down completely (no door frame) breathe in and squeeze 🤣

Definitely couldn’t do it anymore on Esprits of old as window frames. 😁

My 400 is parked in my driveway. I out the cover on when I am not overly lazy.

Definitely in the garage. In fact my insurance insist on it - must be in a locked garage between 10pm & 6am when at home postcode.

20150705_1607401.jpg?i=1363772536

20150705_1509101.jpg?i=1815021762

Although this is probably the best place to keep it!

Lotus-to-Hethel-41.jpg?i=1725355597

• Like 2
Dave - 2000 Sport 350

My Evora lives on the drive, albeit under a car port.  The Esprit is in the garage, its the smaller of the two, least used and "more valuable" even if the Evora is worth more - if you see what I mean.

The guy who owned the Evora before me also kept it on his drive, so that kinda helped me although I was a bit apprehensive about it.  My company car blocks it at night.  Only you will know what your area is like but don't let it put you off, get a car cover for it and you should be fine.

In the barn

spacer.png

You need to put a four poster or two in your garage Andy.  Can double up the toys that way.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

@mayevora My guess was that you line the car up outside the garage, put it in neutral, get out of the car, then push it in and out of the garage.

@oneshot Curfew hours. That must be a pretty rough area you live in, which is a shame as it looks quite nice. ;) 

My Evora stays on the drive ( no garage) come rain snow or sun ! At present it’s covered in tree sap so I will wash it later in the week

during the winter I cover it but if I need to start it can be a pain to remove and then re-cover  it

Otherwise I try and use it at least once a week . During the lockdown I enjoyed sitting in my office watching people smile and look at the Evora as they walked by the driveway