Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 60 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM

And from Australia. :thumbup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

15 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

What shocked us all was the extortionate weekly fee they demanded.

My Mum's care home was £1300 A WEEK

There was no physio, and once she went into it she went from being relatively active to being very docile, and could hardly walk any distance.

My wife has done a couple of stints in care homes and the pay was minimum wage with as few staff as possible.

• Gold FFM

mj-chislehurst-2-1280x720.thumb.jpg.6b7c2974bc2cb881b219bb9f8d429711.jpg

This is and I am not making it up, the guy round here house who owns a few care homes! Thats not flats it is one house!! 

Bit disappointing if we are funding his care homes, maybe he could add to his considerable car collection 

I've just had an email through from Sainsburys to say that I'm on the vulnerable list and can get some shopping delivered, woohoo! Almost most 5 weeks into the 12 week period of isolation here, missing the pub! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Fortuitous!  Still waiting for my letter...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

I've just had an email through from Sainsburys to say that I'm on the vulnerable list and can get some shopping delivered, woohoo! Almost most 5 weeks into the 12 week period of isolation here, missing the pub! 

Aren't the pub doing home deliveries for you? Should be easy, take barrel, place on side and roll it down hill whilst still standing at top of hill.

So the people who have scrimped band saved all their life get nothing in old age where as the script down the road who has saved nothing gets everything.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

indeed.

I've never seen a poor care home owner they always plead poverty and the costs involved. They are modern day highwaymen, I think there are also tax breaks. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Sort of related, but off topic, appears to be the situation with child care. Fortunately it’s not something I have had to deal with myself, but I am continually reading about the excessive cost to get someone to look after your kids at a nursery or Kindergarten etc. whilst you go to work. For some parents it’s just not worth getting a job. But again these institutions always seem to be fully subscribed, no matter how much they charge. Many of the workers seem to be school leavers, so probably only on minimum wage. So where’s the rest of the money going? Presumably straight into the bank account of the proprietor. I wonder if parents will be quite so keen to shell out that sort of money when all this is over?

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

At least you will have the pension youve worked hard all your life to save for....what you mean? They've crashed the economy on purpose for this nonsense? 

buddsy "Tin Foil hat firmly pulled down tight"

Think you misunderstood what my quote was about. You must have pulled your hat down too tight.😜

On 14/04/2020 at 17:20, Kimbers said:

Just to let you know MJK isn't very well at present. He's high risk with his chest issues and today his doctor has told him he thinks he has it.

Sadly, with no testing facilities for General Public he's just at home on total rest. Sure you'll send him wishes.

We sure do, I do hope he will get better very soon! :)

Bon courage !

7 hours ago, Bibs said:

Better late than never 🙄

We received our email from Sainsburys Tues last week informing us that they had enabled the delivery option for us again after previously blocking it. We had to register ourselves as vulnerable since we were missed off the initial list. 
Still not received any govt/nhs letter but not really bothered about that since we know what it says. More important is getting access to delivery slots again.

Wish I had a Lotus to tinker with, getting bored twiddling my thumbs😟

Daughter in law got hers last week ,didn't help much with Sainsbury's. However Asda were brilliant and have given her the same slot every week

20 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Sorry - not sure the 'rant' element of that answers any questions but I feel better anyway

Ant, as you may noticed though I admit it was probably just subtle indicators, I am a great believer in the power of a good old "rant" to ease the burden of the mind! So you just rant away buddy. I'm listening :)

I do disagree with a couple of points:

1. If I've worked my nuts off for 50 years, paid my taxes and NICs, saved into my pension and made the sacrifices to buy a home for me and my family, why the fook should I lose the lot to fund the care I need in my later life when some lazy fooking useless scrote, who has taken from the system all his life will get his care needs fully funded?  How the hell ca that be fair for someone who has contributed nothing, to get MORE, than somebody who contributed significantly?  People should not need to sell their homes to pay for care.

2. It has been proven many times over, that it is better for the individual, and cheaper for the state, for people to STAY IN THEIR HOMES and receive care at home, than to be put into a care home. Obviously, there are some medical/health conditions that make this impossible, but this is the generally accepted truth. The irony though is that to pay for the care at home people need, they need to sell their homes so have to go into a care home anyway!

3. The young people who cannot get on the housing ladder now are no different to the young people of other generations who could not get on the housing ladder. Why do we treat this young generation with such kid gloves?  There are plenty of examples of young people out there who have done it. I work with apprentices who are 20 - 26 years old, many of them (mostly the girls truth be told) work hard, are careful with their money and bought 1 bed flats / 2 up 2 down terraced houses as "do me uppers" to get on the ladder.  It can be, and it is, done often.  The problem is that kids today want 3 bedrooms, a big garden, all mod cons, 2 holidays a year and a nice car but many of them can;t be arsed to get off their arses to easrn the money, through graft, to get there. In 1984 when I bought my first house, a 2 up, 2 down fix me upper, it cost me £22k, my salary was £4.5k a year - so almost 5 times salary to value with interest rates also peaking at around 16%. Yeah, wow, that was fooking easy wasn't it! :)

Care homes cost so much because the expectation is that people will need to sell their homes so they'll have a few hundred thousand pounds for the greedy bastard care home owners to get their grubby hands on....

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Anti-capitalism Greeting Cards | Fine Art America

This virus should be called CoVisa19 as I've just made my 19th non essential purchase!  Looking forward to receiving my new halo rear lights from Gregs Race Parts in a few week. Should really sharpen up the rear end of the 410.

• Haha 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Yup. They're now doing donuts in the shape of rear lights for the Evora, and their chocolate eclairs now look more like a poodle turd for Pork owners :sofa:

image.jpeg.1f6fdf9b0b9216502262653ac129a189.jpeg

The small print.

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Ant, as you may noticed though I admit it was probably just subtle indicators, I am a great believer in the power of a good old "rant" to ease the burden of the mind! So you just rant away buddy. I'm listening :)

I do disagree with a couple of points:

1. If I've worked my nuts off for 50 years, paid my taxes and NICs, saved into my pension and made the sacrifices to buy a home for me and my family, why the fook should I lose the lot to fund the care I need in my later life when some lazy fooking useless scrote, who has taken from the system all his life will get his care needs fully funded?  How the hell ca that be fair for someone who has contributed nothing, to get MORE, than somebody who contributed significantly?  People should not need to sell their homes to pay for care. 

If you read what I said, I was arguing against giving people something for nothing on mass but to try and encourage people to put something away. You seem to be contradicting yourself as I thought you were advocating an elderly care system for all?

I categorically do not agree that we shouldn't be responsible for ourselves in old age. Why is it the Gov't responsibility? I totally agree that scotes get everything for nowt and complain when they can't afford life (that applies to all areas of welfare not just elderly care) but unless we sterilise everyone with a low IQ that ain't ever going to change regardless of how much the welfare state hands out.

2. It has been proven many times over, that it is better for the individual, and cheaper for the state, for people to STAY IN THEIR HOMES and receive care at home, than to be put into a care home. Obviously, there are some medical/health conditions that make this impossible, but this is the generally accepted truth. The irony though is that to pay for the care at home people need, they need to sell their homes so have to go into a care home anyway! 

This is exactly why we kept MiL at (our) home. The fact that she makes it 100 times more painful than it needs to be is neither here nor there!

3. The young people who cannot get on the housing ladder now are no different to the young people of other generations who could not get on the housing ladder. Why do we treat this young generation with such kid gloves?  There are plenty of examples of young people out there who have done it. I work with apprentices who are 20 - 26 years old, many of them (mostly the girls truth be told) work hard, are careful with their money and bought 1 bed flats / 2 up 2 down terraced houses as "do me uppers" to get on the ladder.  It can be, and it is, done often.  The problem is that kids today want 3 bedrooms, a big garden, all mod cons, 2 holidays a year and a nice car but many of them can;t be arsed to get off their arses to easrn the money, through graft, to get there. In 1984 when I bought my first house, a 2 up, 2 down fix me upper, it cost me £22k, my salary was £4.5k a year - so almost 5 times salary to value with interest rates also peaking at around 16%. Yeah, wow, that was fooking easy wasn't it! :)

Buying a house used to be a lot more affordable - my father's first house cost the same as his annual salary. That goes back to my argument about that generation having it easier but it is all relative and never seems 'easy' at the time - I know my folks worked bloody hard and sacrificed much along the way but salaries have not kept up with house price inflation so that argument falls down as well. I totally agree that people should get of their arses, do some bloody work but using your analogy if I earned £25k today (and many earn a lot less), even around here, you ain't buying bugger all for £100k

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

16 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

I categorically do not agree that we shouldn't be responsible for ourselves in old age. Why is it the Gov't responsibility? I totally agree that scotes get everything for nowt and complain when they can't afford life (that applies to all areas of welfare not just elderly care) but unless we sterilise everyone with a low IQ that ain't ever going to change regardless of how much the welfare state hands out.

I think we are agreeing - what I am saying is that the current system is unfair as if you do the right thing (save and prepare) you get shafted, but if piss it all away on booze, fags, drugs and kids all over the place, you get looked after anyway. My argument is that a National Care System would "guarantee" everyone the same standard and access to care, regardless of position. Just like with the NHS, those that could afford it, would continue to go private for a "better" standard. Otherwise the people who have been sensible end up being crucified and in the end people will just fook it then, what's the point I'll just blow it! However, a national care system would provide a "leveller" for fee's that could be charged by "private homes" who wanted to be a service supplier. Whereas now, you end up with Mrs Miggins in room1, funded by the local authority through local taxes at £400 per week, and in the next identical room, Mrs Goggins for £1000 a week as she can "afford to pay". It is absolutely just undeniably total fooking nuts how it currently works.

Your argument re house prices is very dependent upon where you live. As I pointed out I have apprentices/grads working with me who can do it and have done and are proud house owners at under 26.The South of England, principally the M4 corridor from Reading, around the M25, London and places like Surrey and Sussex are, to someone like me from the North, an abomination. What you guys pay for houses just, if I am being totally honest, makes us piss our pants with laughter. However, let's not forget that these "prices" have been driven by two things. (1) demand - the explosion in population that has been driven by migration from inside and outside of the UK to the London commutable, attracted by inflated salaries and (2) Greed!  Many people positively willed their house prices to go up. They celebrated increases of 5-10% pa in the 90's and most of the noughties to the point that this became the norm for them. It enabled them to remortgage their houses to get cheap (comparatively) debt to buy cars, holiday homes, buy-to-lets, boats whatever and they did not give a second thought as to what this would mean for their kids/grandkids when they wanted to buy!  It was a veritable jamboree and not one that the rest of the country by and large joined in with. Hence, there are still places in the Uk where houses are affordable and young people, and old, can get on the ladder and grow their wealth in a sustainable manner.

Believe me, I am not trying to sound smug, but I left the "London" rat race 26 years ago when I moved up to rural Scotland. I've got the best of both worlds. I get paid a "southern UK" salary and live in a relatively low cost of living area. And best of all, when I start to piss my pants uncontrollably (not through intoxication anyway) and need a care worker to wipe my arse, my personal care will be provided to me "free" thanks to the high earners and tax payers in the South of England that subsidy our services up here in Scotland.

It's bloody brilliant! What a wheeze!....... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣  :sofa:

• Like 1

The small print.