Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Emira - Page 18 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Emira

au-yt

12 hours ago, Hughesy83 said:

I just don’t think it will be raw enough to replace the exige and evora gt’s.

It's not meant to be.

People have to come at this as a new car from a new brand - it just happens to be based on a some previous Lotus bits.

It is down on power, down on rawness and up on weight.

That's it.     I wouldn't sell an Evora or Exige for it - if that is your style of car.  This car was always for the non-Lotus enthusiasts - perhaps unfortunately

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

2 minutes ago, Evotion said:

It is down on power, down on rawness and up on weight.

That's it.     I wouldn't sell an Evora or Exige for it - if that is your style of car.  This car was always for the non-Lotus enthusiasts - perhaps unfortunately

The way that I see it is that this particular 'version' of the Emira is heavier, more comfortable, less powerful that the current Evoras/Exiges.

However, in one of his interviews, Matt Windle said that if you take away all of the 'extras', the new car is actually lighter than the equivalent Evora. So I would expect a stripped out, more expensive GT/Track version down the line somewhere.

11 hours ago, NedaSay said:

So, under 60k for a supercharged V6 that you could take to Komotec and transform into a freaking monster for less than 12k?!

Under 60k?

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

That's my theory Andy. Emira 4pot auto, standard wheels etc. Perfect for an every fun day car. I'll keep the Cup250FE for trackdays etc.

• Like 2

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I was told the AMG4 starts at £55, the V6 at £75. Should see some premium bits on the V6 to make up that £20 difference. All in , the most the V6 should be is £85 if you tick everything.

V6 releases first and the AMG4 might be anything from 3 to 6 months layer so easily a year away from now, even for early deposit holders.

GT4 to come out no sooner than 2025.

I knew this car would alienate a lot of Lotus owners. It is for different drivers.

My thoughts

As you likely know. my plan was to get both. I am not an Elise/Exige or Evora owner and look at the car as a whole new thing - like a whole new car maker.

Positives

1. I think it looks incredible. Stand it alone, in a world with no previous Lotus... if Ferrari launched that as their new Rome-based mid engined car for £250, it would get rave reviews.

2. Modern tech in the inside - I would actually use Adaptive cruise a lot (if it works well).

3. The price!  £55k for a car that looks like that and will still be a decent car to drive - WTF. Amazing.  This places it in the lead against even 4-seaters as a distraction. RS3, QF, F-Type, Cayman, base 911, Alpine, etc. The car 'should' sell well if they get everything else right

Negatives

Even though I am not spoiled by previously having a light, more powerful Lotus, and I completely get the disappointment at the weight and performance. I am disappointed too. Very, actually IF the 400 is true. They really should have started it at 430hp if only to avoid the 'down on power' argument as witnessed on here.

I would have loved to have seen two variants for each model. A lighter one and the current one, with performance options. Oh well.

Not a fan of two digital screens but not a deal breaker.

Overall, this has made me think. This now looks like they have played it lower on purpose to build up from. This really annoys me. I get two Emiras and then not too long after I actually get it they announce and 430 Sport version (lighter and some sexy bits). What do I do then, when THAT is the car that I actually want.

Grrr. I am going to see it on Friday and wait for the final specs, which should be released imminently. 

As I have mentoined before, I believe I am their absolutely 100% spot-on buying persona.  I feel a little wobble on the V6 so that is not good.  People are here are mostly saying 'not so sure now'. It should have been a huge 'wow, I am buying it' vibe.

• Like 2

A lot of confusion in the media. Pricing, spec, etc.

None of which is overly clear, even from Lotus site.

Where are you getting your £55/£75 info from?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

I understand that it will not be an Elise/Exige replacment, no convertible etc..

But for me, Lotus has absolutely nailed it. They have just build the car I was looking for... will wait for a test drive in the wild, not on track. Really like to see how it compares to the Evora on b-roads. Hope it is not too wide, which does not work on mountain roads...

Would go for the dark green, 6pot manual with some comfort options (don't need the lane assist etc. gimicks), very cool is that KEF audio option..  probabely one of the best (if not the best) GT for Europe's roads.

For the few who know the difference

• Gold FFM
32 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Base Emira is an all day long sports GT for me. Would be great for someone who wants to do "spirited" touring in comfort. I.e. could see me and the wife touring Europe in that car, year after year. I think with the launch edition Emira Lotus has exactly executed its strategy and hit the spot it wanted. This is a car that to me now out Caymans the Cayman.

28 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

That's my theory Andy. Emira 4pot auto, standard wheels etc. Perfect for an every fun day car. I'll keep the Cup250FE for trackdays etc.

With you both on this.  I need to get my order nailed down sooner rather than later as am planning "Le plan du grand tour des Matelots vieillissants" for Summer next year with my bezzy-oppo in his AMV and the timings on getting the new car are... errr... tight to say the least...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
55 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

However, in one of his interviews, Matt Windle said that if you take away all of the 'extras', the new car is actually lighter than the equivalent Evora. So I would expect a stripped out, more expensive GT/Track version down the line somewhere.

I think that's just a way of claiming it's lighter without it actually being lighter, though it's the safety equipment that is at 'fault' here, a like-for-like would be lighter, but you wouldn't be able to put it on the road because... Laws!

I'm suspecting they will run out the V6 in approximately the trim it's in at the moment, perhaps a lift to 430 or so before it's retired. The auto box appears to be the same as the Evora so you aren't going to get much more out of it anyway.

Any super light/high performance version may in a year or so end up being a heavily tweaked AMG. That engine and gearbox is easily good for big numbers and it will be lighter. This is a win all around for them and I doubt by then anyone will care it's not a V6. Ditch the glass for some CF lighter components and you'll have a £100k+ car that is extremely fast and relatively light for the performance whilst still being economical to run. I think it has lots of headroom which is a good thing for the brand going forward.

I could see myself in a launch edition (V6 manual), it's a nice car. It's just not exciting me as much as I hoped it would. As with others, I am intrigued more from a nice car to tour perspective than a blood fizzing sports car, though I'm sure it will be a great steer.

35 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

He has already stated, there will be Emira, Emira S, Emira ST, Emira R, etc.......    More power, raw performance focus for sure.

Thanks I missed this bit.  With that in mind I think this base Emira has been engineered correctly for a long range GT tourer and use as softer everyday car.

I still think its a bit too big and heavy.  The Alpine A110 is much smaller and lighter.  Yes many people state it doesn't have much storage and space but I think the reviews are pretty good regarding comfort and refinement.  I think somewhere half way between Alpine and Emira would have been right.

The driver's that this version of the Emira is aimed at will be completely fine with the size, its still smaller than the average saloon and SUV but not cramped and not so small you are intimidated by larger cars (especially in US). Pretty much spot on.

But I think the later versions of the Emira aimed at the current Lotus fans maybe a bit wide and big for the smaller and tighter roads.  I wonder how much flexibility the new platform offers and if it will be possible to reduce the footprint a little bit.

29 minutes ago, TdM said:

though it's the safety equipment that is at 'fault' here,

My interpretation of 'extras' from that particular interview were the comfort type things - heavy, electric seats, multiple screens, cupholders, extra interior trim etc. All of which would be stripped out for the track(ier) version.

YMMV, of course.

That is my belief.

This does open up a future GT4 version to be significantly lighter and have more power.

We will soon find out how much the 'ultra lightweight' wheels are on the configurator!

If the V6 is a wholesale carry over of the existing Evora powertrain... that means along with the sweet sweet noise from the exhaust you get the existing gearbox. And clutch. And gear ratios. Which I've 'enjoyed' in a couple of forms over the past 6 and a half years, but I am not going to buy a third car with the same thing. I'm very much leaning towards the AMG. Red with silver forged wheels and the ice grey leather interior, or yellow with black wheels and black alcantara/yellow stitching. 

Glory be that you can still get a leather wheel in any event!

• Like 1

Shadow Grey, Black Gloss Wheels, Red Calipers, Black Alcantara with Red Accents (or Red Leather, undecided).

4pot AMG.

You're spot on Will, the clutch noise etc will be the same with the v6.

Sounds good Lee... I love the red leather personally, but it's a bit marmite. And I have my suspicions that once the Emira cup or whatever it's called is announced, I'd be thinking of moving on the first edition so do need to keep that in mind. 

Yeah, that was partly my thoughts, about reselling.

The grey with black wheels does work.

They all look amazing in different colour combos. Bit of a nightmare really.

4 hours ago, Wilbert Camshaft said:

to be honest, I'am disappointed by the Emira. Looks good, but

• low weight as former essential Lotus feature with 1.400 kg transformed to the contrary
  • assisted stearing (at least hydraulic)
  • V6 still with the outdated manual gearbox and not available with DSG  

After all it's calming that all the KomoTec power upgrade options can still be applied. I expect the aerodynamic drag to be mch lower than with the Exige (0,45) and therefore I'am curious how the Emira will perform on track.

The Evora’s steering is assisted, so no different and it’s brilliant .The key is staying hydraulic rather than electric. I was very unimpressed with the latest electric assisted boxster steering when I drove one recently. There is a date in the near future when all car steering has to be electric assistance only, so its great that they have sneaked in before the deadline - 2023 I think. There is not a lot wrong with the manual box in the Evora and I guess we will just have to see how good they make the IPS. I can see why they have the i4 DCT package as they will sell far more of those than manual (80% of Porsche sales are auto). Personally I have just bought an Elise because I want a manual. I may myself consider the DCT for an Emira even though I dont usually like them because I have my Elise for my garage weekend car. Strangely, the mode in auto’s with major manufacturers is now away from DCT’s and back to torque converter autos as they have become so good. When Jenson was driving it, the manual gear change looked very high, so maybe the interior design has been optimised for an auto anyway. Weight wise I am pretty sure they are disappointed that they are heavier than a Cayman, but it was never going to replicate an Elise’s feel, so lets just see how it drives, if its as good as it looks and retains the lotus like qualities an extra 50-60 kg’s wont bother me

2 minutes ago, Woodman said:

so lets just see how it drives, if its as good as it looks and retains the lotus like qualities an extra 50-60 kg’s wont bother me

Yes, that is the main point for most of us non-Lotus owners. 

We are very spoiled. 400hp on a 3000lb car is still fabulous.

I can see now why they didn't make an Evora final edition. Just too close to the Emira and would have been more expensive.

I am happy for Lotus that it's getting such a positive reaction and wish them every success. It doesn't appeal to me for the same reasons a Cayman doesn't. I'd rather have a comfortable practical daily runner and then a pure driver's car (without stuff like lane assist, autonomous emergency braking please) than one all-rounder. I can't see any gains at all over the Evora as a pure driver's car, apart from the wider track. Lotus seem more excited about door bins now. That's all good if it works and they can shift 5000 (Evora managed just under 1200 cars in 2010) that would be case closed. But I am surprised that so many here like it as this is a concentration of people that opted against the universally acclaimed Cayman, prestigious badge and swish showroom in favour of something more exciting. Seems a bit inconsistent to suddenly be all into comfort and cup holders but I appreciate that we our priorities change as we get older! I think once the hype has worn off a bit the Emiras that most people here would really want are yet to come.

8 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

I can see now why they didn't make an Evora final edition. Just too close to the Emira and would have been more expensive.

I am happy for Lotus that it's getting such a positive reaction and wish them every success. It doesn't appeal to me for the same reasons a Cayman doesn't. I'd rather have a comfortable practical daily runner and then a pure driver's car (without stuff like lane assist, autonomous emergency braking please) than one all-rounder. I can't see any gains at all over the Evora as a pure driver's car, apart from the wider track. Lotus seem more excited about door bins now. That's all good if it works and they can shift 5000 (Evora managed just under 1200 cars in 2010) that would be case closed. But I am surprised that so many here like it as this is a concentration of people that opted against the universally acclaimed Cayman, prestigious badge and swish showroom in favour of something more exciting. Seems a bit inconsistent to suddenly be all into comfort and cup holders but I appreciate that we our priorities change as we get older! I think once the hype has worn off a bit the Emiras that most people here would really want are yet to come.

Yeah, this never was for Lotus enthusiasts per se. I think there might be more negative comments than positive - it must be close.

It mostly ticks the boxes that I expected.  No surprise it won't get most Exige and Evora drivers out of them into an Emira.

For the lucky people, one Emira and one Exige/Evora high spec might be perfect.

HIgjhlights:

• Two petrol engines available, including new-to-Lotus 2.0-litre turbocharged ‘i4’ from technical partner AMG
  • Much-loved and characterful 3.5-litre supercharged V6 from Exige and Evora to feature as ‘First Edition’ range-topper
  • Manual, automatic and Dual Clutch Transmission to maximise global appeal      (!!!!!!!!)
  • Power output from 360 to 400 hp at launch
  • 0-62mph (0-100km/h) in less than 4.5 seconds
  • Top speed of up to 180mph (290km/h)
  • Target weight of 1,405kg in its lightest form
  • Prices will start from under £60,000 (under €72,000)
  • Find out more at www.media.lotuscars.com 

Yeah, touch disappointed with power, weight and 0-60s but let's get in the darn thing before making a judgement. Delivery and experience is all.

1 hour ago, Woodman said:

When Jenson was driving it, the manual gear change looked very high, so maybe the interior design has been optimised for an auto anyway.

A detail in the current context but re a high set manual gear change, it was the same in the Zenos.  Which was great for serious driving. Just a slight movement to it from the wheel and back again. Windle was senior there - no idea if any common influence, but I'm with Jensen - just give me a gear lever!

Edited by mdavies

43 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

That wasn't the reason. But please don't let me get in the way of your conspiracy theories.

• Confused 1