Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Emira - Page 27 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Emira

au-yt

2 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

My first company car was a Vauxhall Astra 1.7D “Merit”. No power steering, no turbo, no air con, no electric windows, in fact nothing of any merit whatsoever. It also needed an oil change every 3000 miles. What good is that if you’re driving 50,000+ miles p.a.? That’s 17 services per year!

Here’s one of each at a local classic car show a few years ago.

viCZkLC.jpg

Damn I miss my Italian beauty.  I was in love with that car.   Great pic. Thanks. made my day.

2 hours ago, JimH said:

spacer.png😉

Ha   - well, once car enthusiasts start bringing genuine sports classics it is hard to stop.

I thought asking to meet down a pub or "let's discuss more on a different forum" was a lit lame. 

Lotus time again!

2 hours ago, jimichanga said:

Right now is an amazing time for a Lotus fan with disposable income as you have the choice of last of the old school or first of the new school.

Perfectly said.  This might still be the perfect solution - get a new one and an old one.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

1 hour ago, jimichanga said:

Current ultimate possible spec is looking like 1300kg and 421bhp AMG four with DCT. Still not sure that would be enough for me, nor quite was Lotus were capable of making for their last ICE car.

Well, we know that is achievable with modifications and stripping out but it's kinda not the point of the car. 

You can do that though. My intention was to strip out the i4 a bit, carbon here and there, lighter exhaust for the track. I think 100kg can be removed. The power upgrade would be easy if somebody can unlock the ECU.  My current thinking is that it would be awful to change what Lotus have worked hard on perfecting and enjoy it for what it is - still a fast , very able, great looking sports car.

1 hour ago, jimichanga said:

Current ultimate possible spec is looking like 1300kg and 421bhp AMG four with DCT. Still not sure that would be enough for me

For £60k... Read that all back to yourself!! 

Tough crowd! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Tough crowd! 

Yes but come on @Bibs ffs - have you seen what you get in the new Dacia sandero?

• Haha 1

Only here once

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Tough crowd! 

If that spec ever shows up it will be way more than £60k as you all know, base 4 cyl car with options will already go far beyond. I was hoping the final ICE Emira would end up more like 500bhp, 1300kg longitudinal mounted manual V6, ideally high revving na but willing to accept compromise there all in a much sleeker body with low roofline. Either way GT3 slayer not budget Evora.

Edited by jimichanga
  • Like 1

Re spec, as the car is no lightweight, I see no point in further weight saving options. I don’t see it as a track toy so any options related there can go.  If it was a daily driver I can see a need for some creature and convenience features 

However for me it’s a weekend toy and therefore I’m struggling to feel a need for majority of the options. That could be a challenge with an early’ish deposit that would mean a FE at extra cost or slip down the queue for base cars.  

Hmmmmmm

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

You could wait for a GT4 road car or some future version with no options added and possibly the opportunity to remove weight.  I can see myself getting a performance version down the road.

You could get a base one now, enjoy it and the part-ex it for something else later.

In your particular case though I would likely get an Exige which is truly a weekend toy and also fabulous.

At lunchtime today I was standing outside my place of work. I could hear a 4 pot DCT car somewhere on the industrial estate giving it some, high revs and rifle bullet gear changes with a crack & pop for each change - hmmm.

I really hope that the V6 Emira isn't going to be too expensive :ermm:

3 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

@jimichangathe Esprit V8 350horses between 20kgs & 50kgs lighter than the Emira without the safety items etc. So why dish the Emira?

@Evotion

Because the Esprit V8 was launched in the 90’s and Lotus have given us a lot more since, not least 70bhp more and 300kg less than the Emira ‘in its lightest possible form’, could easily be 400kg lighter than loaded V6 Emira. That’s the Exige obviously but we also had the 311 and the even the much more civilised Evora GT430 was 100kg lighter than the 4 cyl Emira.

Great for Lotus that they’ve made a car for many more in the US and China to enjoy but some of us were hoping the last Lotus ICE sports car would be a bigger step on. Totally get what they’re doing and it’s already proven to be the right thing to do for the business. I would have preferred they focused on SUVs for volume and profits and let the last ICE car be the thing we always wanted to see - Lotus innovation and genius with a big development budget, to see them trounce the competition rather than just play catch-up but that’s not what Geely signed off and I accept that. Doesn’t mean I have to like what we are being offered instead though. At least out of touch types like me have the chance of getting an FE car. One last chance to own one of the purest of the pure drivers cars from new is terrific just never imagined we’d be at this point so soon.

14 hours ago, ewand said:

I don't completely buy the "it's all new" argument; yes, sure, it's not the same architecture as the Evora/Exige but it's hardly light years ahead in construction or anything, is it? I mean, we're still talking bonded/extruded aluminium tub

Well, a similar construction material doesn't mean it hasn't improved a lot. Engineering improves a lot over time, so it could be very different despite using an aluminium extruded chassis.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jimichanga said:

I was hoping the final ICE Emira would end up more like 500bhp, 1300kg longitudinal mounted manual V6

Yeah, I was hoping the top 'o the line Emira was going to get close to the 500HP mark as well. After they said it would be 2-seater only I was hoping that extra space was going to be utilized for more than luggage space, which is what it already essentially was in the Evora for most people anyways. While I understand that they have redesigned certain bits of the chassis its hard not to see the Emira as a re-skinned Evora with more modern looks and a better interior. While I have no issue with that, because the Evora was a great car, offering similar power to the Evora and using the same Toyota V6 and not even attempting to take it beyond what we have already seen is questionable to me. Makes me think very little investment was put into the Emira. I kind of feel Geely doesn't really give a shit about the Emira and probably did not offer a ton of investment for the project, they obviously care more about the electric future and SUVs.

While it seems there is some hype behind the Emira, I think once everyone gets used to the looks and new interior they are going to fall back to wanting more performance. From a business stand point I don't understand why Lotus didn't come out with more of the bang when it comes to the performance. Essentially offering comparable power to your competitors doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Lotus isn't Porsche. They don't have dealers everywhere and the brand cache has taken a significant hit over the decades, you need some more bait to bring in people IMO. Its not like the Emira offers more tech the the competition. The looks may help it sell well (for a Lotus) for a year, but just think of how much more interest there would have been if they also clearly beat the competition in performance as well. I have a feeling interest will fall off pretty quickly if its another round of Emira losing to the competition in head-to-head tests and constantly trying to playing catch up just like the Evora. Maybe I am wrong. Hopefully Lotus has some tricks up their sleeve.

It reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Lisa creates a new Barbie-like doll that all the girls want and then Barbie comes out with a version with a new hat and nothing else different and no one wants Lisa's doll anymore. "Oooo the Emira looks so great! Lovely interior!" Porsche: "Check out the new Cayman, looks just like the old one, but has a couple more small vents on the side." Everyone: "Emira who?"

Edited by Likuid
  • Like 2

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

@jimichangayes and the Emira is not an Elise/Exige, indeed it is not an Evora although I have previously stated the Emira is lighter than Evora S IPS. 

Would be very surprised if Lotus in the Emira life span don’t bring out a Cup/GT430 version but if anyone seriously thought Lotus would have been able to/wanted to have all variations from the getgo then you only need to look at what every car manufacturer has done with each of their models. The carbon fibre stripped out high performance Emira is not going to be under £60K if that is want you want then think you are going to have to wait a few years; with price tag to match the GT430 run of cars?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

4 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

@jimichangayes and the Emira is not an Elise/Exige, indeed it is not an Evora although I have previously stated the Emira is lighter than Evora S IPS. 

Would be very surprised if Lotus in the Emira life span don’t bring out a Cup/GT430 version but if anyone seriously thought Lotus would have been able to/wanted to have all variations from the getgo then you only need to look at what every car manufacturer has done with each of their models. The carbon fibre stripped out high performance Emira is not going to be under £60K if that is want you want then think you are going to have to wait a few years; with price tag to match the GT430 run of cars?

Emira in its lightest form is lighter than Evora S IPS, let's see what the "standard" Emira weight is....

I heard on very good authority that the Emira V6 was going to get 450bhp from a bigger supercharger, presumably Harrop TVS 1900. Clearly they decided against this at launch and will offer incremental improvements over time like many competitors do. Quite possible of course that the V6 is short lived and never sees more power, future fast versions more likely to be 4cyl. Doesn’t make me want one of the intentionally held back cars any more though.

I don’t think one day hoping to matching a Lotus launched in 2017 is particularly impressive, seems like buying a GT430 now is far preferable to waiting another 3 years or whatever for something comparable. But Lotus has been proved right by the response. Much agree with @Likuid but we are wrong, the one thing they appear to have fixed is the pricing issue even though this is still to be confirmed and highly likely to slide upwards in response to demand. For whatever combination of reasons people just won’t pay past a certain level for a Lotus, however good. Even with all the finance deals people seem to draw the line past £80k. Few diehards have the money and few wealthier buyers want a Lotus so quickly becomes a no sell zone. Emira is perceived to represent good value for its as yet unconfirmed price, something we haven’t seen from Lotus in years. There will be people paying more for a FE Elise than an Emira. It remains to be seen what the Emira really costs but the ‘sub £60kg’ thing really seems to have unlocked demand. Still disappointed by the car personally but a 500bhp car couldn’t be done for £60k. Somehow a 360bhp AMG car can apparently and for the money it does seem like a lot of car.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DJW said:

However for me it’s a weekend toy and therefore I’m struggling to feel a need for majority of the options. That could be a challenge with an early’ish deposit that would mean a FE at extra cost or slip down the queue for base cars.  

This is an issue for me too. I hope I am earlyish in the queue too having placed a deposit first thing the morning after the launch, but I really don't want 12 way electric seats, fancy stereo, or any other gubbins that doesn't improve the driving experience. All depends what the FE costs vs my choice of spec and how long the wait would be for the the latter. 

Another point for those wringing their hands over the weight. The Evora 410 was faster than the Exige V6 350 round Hethel even though it weighs a lot more, and I'd be pretty surprised it the V6 Emira on Cup tyres isn't quicker still. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cuprapw said:

Emira in its lightest form is lighter than Evora S IPS, let's see what the "standard" Emira weight is....

Yes that’s for 4 cyl car with next to no options. Loaded V6 car could easily be pushing towards 1500kg. Not that many here or elsewhere will care mind you. If low kerbweight sold cars there would be no SUVs and Lotus would be on every street.

24 minutes ago, freefall_junkie said:

This is an issue for me too. I hope I am earlyish in the queue too having placed a deposit first thing the morning after the launch, but I really don't want 12 way electric seats, fancy stereo, or any other gubbins that doesn't improve the driving experience. All depends what the FE costs vs my choice of spec and how long the wait would be for the the latter. 

Another point for those wringing their hands over the weight. The Evora 410 was faster than the Exige V6 350 round Hethel even though it weighs a lot more, and I'd be pretty surprised it the V6 Emira on Cup tyres isn't quicker still. 

An evora 410 is faster than a 350 ok, the 350 using Corsa's 

An evora 410 is slower than a Exige 380 using both cups

An evora 430GT is slower than a exige cup 430 both using cups (you cannot hide 200kg)

Edited by cuprapw

5 minutes ago, cuprapw said:

An evora 410 is faster than a 350 ok, the 350 using Corsa's 

An evora 410 is slower than a Exige 380 using both cups

An evora 430GT is slower than a exige cup 430 both suing cups (you cannot hide 200kg)

Yes, no denying the laws of physics, and even an Exige Cup is a bit of a lard-ass compared to a Caterham 🙂 The Emira is still going to be a decently quick car though, and probably few owners, me included, will be capable of extracting the absolute max from it on track.  

• Like 1