Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Emira - Page 36 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Emira

au-yt

• Gold FFM

That Amg lump may well start out at 360hp in the Evora - but don’t expect it to stay at that level for long. Once they have sold all the v6 units - the true capabilities of the 4 pot will be unleashed.

Only here once

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

That Amg lump may well start out at 360hp in the Evora - but don’t expect it to stay at that level for long. Once they have sold all the v6 units - the true capabilities of the 4 pot will be unleashed.

Totally...  That 360 rating has multi-year product roadmap written all over it.  It is currently ~380 and ~415 in regular and "S" form in Mercedes.  Lotus can position these same step-ups and possibly more with other higher priced models and future years of production...  It is a page directly from the Porsche playbook...

• Like 2

I agree and hope so as that will mean the V6 is more powerful car probably until 2024 deliveries.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• Gold FFM

@Evotion I have been following a few of these threads and I put my deposit down after coming back from Goodwood, one epic looking car. I would have put it down at Goodwood as @Bibs put me under pressure and I am weak, but they didn’t take Amex. 

anyway what I would like to know is what your thinking is buying both the V6 and the i4? It just doesn’t make any sense to me! This is not a dig Btw. But wouldn’t you rather have one Emira then the world is your oyster, Esprit, 340R, Exige, any Elise, classic Europa, Excel, etc. You could probably have at least two of the above, I have the TE and the M100 but in your position you are looking at maybe a GT3 Esprit and a smoking Exige plus one Emira. Now that would be more exciting I promise you 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Still don't get it. I am guessing same interior and body,  with a few options on both you wont get much change out of 140/150k. I personally would go LE Emira (even though i am def in the i4 camp) so say at worst 80k ( i am making this up as i go along) so that leaves another 60k ish to buy some other Lotus and some change. Absolutely lovely TE or a S1 plus well maybe a lovely plus 2 Elan. its like to me buying a M3 and M4 exactly like my neighbour has, he also annoys me as they're both black and he only cleans them in full sun, but that is another story 😀

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I know what you mean @Dan E - if it's one for daily/road trip and one for track I'd go for Emira for the daily.  For the track it would be an Exige, either a nice classic S1 or a beast of a Cup 430, rather than strip out an i4 Emira.  Or wait for the 550hp AMG-based road-going Emira GT4 (GT550?) in 2023 when they ditch the V6 after the 2022 season :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TomE said:

I know what you mean @Dan E - if it's one for daily/road trip and one for track I'd go for Emira for the daily.  For the track it would be an Exige, either a nice classic S1 or a beast of a Cup 430, rather than strip out an i4 Emira.  Or wait for the 550hp AMG-based road-going Emira GT4 (GT550?) in 2023 when they ditch the V6 after the 2022 season :) 

Emira and Cup 430 would give max Lotus bang for your buck I reckon, but then again if you want one for the track you might as well go full mentalist and have an Emira and a Caterham 620R with a full cage and a set of slicks. I think of Caterham as part of the Lotus family and nothing this side of a Radical would be quicker on a track day.

I was originally looking at an older N/A supercar and a cheap track car (£20 - 30k).

I then heard about a new Lotus and people were talking about how it would be a drivers delight and there would be two versions; one at about £60k and one at £85k  (or even £105k IIRC).

It dawned on me that I could buy both for the same, or less, money have have these benefits:

• Brand new - FAR less worry than a Lambo/Ferrari/GT3 RS
  • 3 year + warranty out of the box
  • They are mine - nobody has farted in iit 😂
  • I can thrash them and laugh like a madman
  • One for long runs and daily jaunts and the other as a track weapon
  • Having the same base car allows some efficiencies over the coming years perhaps
  • It was bloody cool and I can't ever suffer 'Bollocks, I should have bought the other one' 😃
  • If one goes wrong I can still look amazing in the other 😍
  • I had nothing to lose

Now, on that last point, I can't see any real massive loss on this should I sell one of them for an Exige (410 Sport at £85k looks okay to me).

This would not happen until 2023, if it even does. Meanwhile, I get to enjoy two different cars in the same shell, with different set-ups/packs, colours and have a bloody great time!

For me, I foresee only one problem, just the one... That is the times I see a 458 Spyder on the road. 

[edit] meant to say - the Sera, an old car, has been a nightmare and the idea of buying somebody elses ragged sports car has lost a  lot of appeal.

• Gold FFM

Funny you should say this morning I was taking my son to school stuck in traffic next to us was a bloke in shades with his roof down in a 458, red obvs and boy did he look like a top tit. In fact he looked at us with a bit of attitude and we both burst put laughing at him 

1 minute ago, Dan E said:

was a bloke in shades with his roof down in a 458

Natch.

Still one of the greatest cars ever - even when stuck in traffic.  

As I thought that the details were due in September, and today plus 14 days is quite close to the end of the month anyway. I also had the video from the factory a couple of days ago and I have not ordered one (yet)..

3 hours ago, Mctaff said:

Not sure if this has already popped up somewhere, but I’m told within a fortnight we’ll have an updated configurator inc options and pricing

Exciting news. We should have a sweep stake for how large the price differential between the i4 and V6 will be 🙂 

• Like 1

Must be very tempting as a business to react to a better than expected reception by pricing in a bit more margin. Tough call I hope they are aware of the importance that ‘£60kg’ figure has played in the appeal of Emira beyond the existing Lotus fanbase. The notion of being perceived as good value is critical to the cars success, especially after years of being considered over priced. High £68k basic would definitely still be considered good value but £75k? Quite a fine line. Can’t help but think they will convert a lot more of their deposits to sales if they price it aggressively. Must be so hard to resist hiking the price when people are queuing up to pay more like with Porsche GT3 but I’m sure they are aware that the frenzy was fuelled by the relatively low base cost. I think Porsche have let the Turbo price go north much faster and you don’t see the froth the GT3 creates.

They still have to offer a no options base model under £60k, as that is what they have said from the off. That doesn’t mean they won’t increase options to ensure heavy spec cars are hitting £70k+ regardless of which variant.

Agree that many will have put deposits down due to that headline figure, if that changes significantly there will be a lot of people dropping out IMO.

Future wish list - Exige V6

I’m going for

57k base i4

67k base V6

75k+ V6 FE depending on how many options are included.

I’m keeping the Cayman S/GTS base price 55/65, but then the GTS already has a good set of options

Back in the 1980s, the wide body 930 Turbo was the top of the road car 911 tree. When they eventually came out with the pared down n/a Club Sport 911, no-one wanted it, even at low pricing. How things have changed! 

As well as the recent GT3 mania, it’s also noticeable how many 911 Turbo customers seem to get up-sold to the Turbo S version. Maybe it helps them get on the short list for the next GT3RS? The “cooking” Turbo seems to be the rarer version nowadays.