Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Roll Pins - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Roll Pins

Go to solution Solved by Sparky,

• Gold FFM

Hi Chaps

Its a sunny Sunday morning so i thought i would remove the engine and gearbox.

Two hours in and every thing disconnected , except the roll pins  on the drive shafts. Question is they are in there good, how much force do i have to use and what's the best tool / kitchen implement  to use ?.

Every thing else came apart easily ( too my shock/ joy)  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Your joy could very quickly turn to pain if you jam something in or snap something off in those roll pins,  use the correct sizes of punch. Separate the driveshaft yoke only as a last resort.

If the driveshafts aren’t leaking, or you’ve had problems with them in the past, you might want to split them at the inner yoke and leave the output shafts in place. That way you keep the integrity of the seal. You need to release the rear lower link arm, get underneath the car and push the hub out with your boot. Reinstall in the same way. I’ve done this four times now, and I wouldn’t remove the output shafts.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

If you do decide to remove the driveshaft pins, it's a good idea to punch them out in reverse.  Determine which side has the witness marks from the installation and punch to remove from the opposite end inner first and then outer.

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM
  • Solution

Roll pins come out only if absolutely necessary.  For engine/gearbox removal I always separate the spider and yoke.  Couple of minutes of very simple work.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, Sparky said:

Roll pins come out only if absolutely necessary.  For engine/gearbox removal I always separate the spider and yoke.  Couple of minutes of very simple work.

Cheers  Sparky 

Please explain more  

• Gold FFM

Already summarised by @Chillidoggy above; the driveshaft simply pulls out of the yoke.  Undo the inboard rubber boot first, be prepared for some grease loss and keep things clean.  Quite simple if lower arm inboard is released.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Already summarised by @Chillidoggy above; the driveshaft simply pulls out of the yoke.  Undo the inboard rubber boot first, be prepared for some grease loss and keep things clean.  Quite simple if lower arm inboard is released.

If I may just add to the my learned friend's post above, a plastic bag secured with a cable tie over the end of the driveshafts and the yoke cups at the gearbox, will keep them all clean. If you need to move the car, pop the lower arm bolt back in temporarily and tie the driveshaft up with cable ties to the top arm pivot, or any convenient point.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, PAUL GURNEY said:

Cheers  Sparky 

Please explain more  

Cheers both

I was over thinking it, the lesson here is don't reply to a post when you have been to a BBQ all day and have a belly full of beer on-board  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PAUL GURNEY said:

Cheers both

I was over thinking it, the lesson here is don't reply to a post when you have been to a BBQ all day and have a belly full of beer on-board  

On the contrary. The majority of Sparky’s best posts have been made under the influence of alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Hi all

Still struggling to remove the drive shafts, as you can see by the image i am nearly there but cant push the hub out any more to release the spider from the joke.

I have released the lower arm only? 

IMG_2134[1].JPG

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, snowrx said:

If the bicycles are taking over the shop, where are the motorcycles?

Wish my engine was that clean coming out...

The bicycles are all electric, its the future. I have done over 2000 miles on mine in the last year. The motorcycles are in my other garage.

I am going to try and get the engine a bit cleaner, i like the idea of having the charge cooler and cam covers powder coated.  

The gearbox needs a good clean, if any one knows what to use i would be interested to know 

• Gold FFM
22 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Well done chap - 4hrs is my best time - it’s defo easier with a tractor loader and competent driver.

It was a complete pain Barry, its not the first time I've started a job only to find the tool (crane ) i was using was not long 😕 

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

Hot pressure washer steam cleaner - and some acid cleaner 

This were i must have gone wrong before, used a steam cleaner but not the acid, what do you suggest?

• Gold FFM

Dunno - Nobby had some special magic stuff - some aluminium cleaner.

but - when you clean anything it doesn’t stay shiney and clean for long unless you obsess over it. If I was going again - I’d just use a steam cleaner and detergent.

Only here once