Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emira Suspension Height (Drivers Pack) - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira Suspension Height (Drivers Pack)

Maybe reading too much into this, but the silver emira looks to be riding a good 10mm higher (if not more).  Same as the grey one shown off during the launch.

The blue is absolutely slammed.

I'm wondering if the drivers pack includes a lower suspension setup?

He did say the customer had the choice between town driving or track

silver.jpg

grey.jpg

blue.jpg

Edited by glen8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The imagery of the blue model is what got me initially so concerned about the ride height. Now if you look at the pictures above, the difference between the blue and grey cars seems far more than a centimeter to me.

So I did some creative photoshopping, pixel counting, and calculatrixing, aside from the pictures above, I threw in the renders from the Lotus site as well, as well as multiple screen-caps from Jensen and show-off videos. In one interview it was stated the wheels are 20", basing on that.

Blue: +0 mm
Render: +8 mm
Grey: +27 mm
Silver: +34 mm

Measuring and conversion errors will apply: I'm assuming the grey and silver are actually the same ride height in reality. If I misjudged true wheel size, all numbers are off by the same factor. The numbers are the most conservative from multiple measurements. But...

Absolutely no doubt the blue one is *significantly* lower to the ground than the others. I'd say at least 25mm is a good bet.

Dealer said it was quite possible the sport suspension option was lower, but couldn't say for sure.

• Like 1

In this months CAR magazine, it states there are two chassis tunes available 'tour and sports', using passive dampers. The sports being stiffer (so presume would sit lower as well) and forms part of an option pack including the forged alloys, two piece brakes and I think the Michelin Cup 2's. The rim's are 20 inch.

• Like 1

I was told on the stand that the blue one was riding lower than it would be in production.  I think it has been previously mentioned that its boot was full of car batteries to get it to move.

• Like 1

Yes, the blue car is a non-runner which has just been slammed to look good in photos. The ride height looks unrealistically low for a road car. The grey car on the other hand looks a bit up on tip-toes. Hopefully the sport suspension will be somewhere between the two. Almost certainly the option I'll be going for as I'll never be driving on pockmarked urban roads and I may do the odd track day.

I won't make a decision on the suspension without driving the cars with both set-ups. The only way to know, and how each one changes when you toggle the setting.

If I cant drive both then I will go with the advice that is offered.  

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

I thought it was coming with a hard or soft setting which you can toggle on/off but maybe I am getting mixed up with the two suspension options then!  

Umm, as I type that it does ring a bell.

I would like a bumpy-road button.

Won't happen. Lotus are suspension magicians, it'll ride just fine having been set up correctly at the factory over probably years of testing. It's what they're the best at by a long shot which is why their rep in this area is top drawer and many, in fact most other OEM's use them for ride & handling development.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

My guess/hunch is that the Touring suspension will use a similar Bilstein set up as the current Evora. The Sports suspension will be 1 or 2-way Nitrons. 

3-way Ohlins will come later on the GT cars. 

Just a guess though. 

Which previous Lotus were the Ohlins on? Were they really good on the car?

Ah sweet, so they have good history and a great addition down the road.

If they were a launch option I would get them , alas...

• Gold FFM
On 16/07/2021 at 22:47, Bibs said:

Won't happen. Lotus are suspension magicians, it'll ride just fine having been set up correctly at the factory over probably years of testing. It's what they're the best at by a long shot which is why their rep in this area is top drawer and many, in fact most other OEM's use them for ride & handling development.

I strongly agree with this.  I trust the expertise of the Lotus team on this.

Gav Kershaw said the Touring suspension is being optimised for road use, which will mean pot holed uneven stuff as well as decent roads and motorway cruising.  It'll also cover "fast road" use, which for most of us non-godlike drivers will probably be fine for a fun trackday at less than 10/10ths.  Sports suspension is targeted at track use, and he said you'd be better taking Touring and fitting the Cup tyres for the odd trackday than having Sport and fitting Eagles for road use.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TomE said:

he said you'd be better taking Touring and fitting the Cup tyres

That sounds like the best plan moving forward - perhaps even with a AMG4 being mostly track.

If you want a rough idea on how the touring and sport setups will differ.  Try and get a ride in an Evora S1 NA and Evora 400.  I imagine the difference between Emira's touring and sport setups will be something vaguely similar.

The NA version is more softly sprung and makes for a great road car as it absorbs the bumps very well and keeps the car tracking the road better.  The 400 version is stiffer and has different geometry as it was designed to be a slightly more aggressive car compared to the previous version.

I've asked a few places about suspension geometry and damper upgrades for my Evora and each time I'm told because I use the car as a daily driver with the occasional track day the standard set-up from Lotus is pretty hard to beat unless I go for fully adjustable Ohlins.  Just goes to show how good Lotus's suspension setup is, even when I try to spend at a garage they refuse because they're not sure they can do a better job.  A track setup would be a different story and there is much room for change here.

If you are passing by South West Herts you a welcome to sit in my NA Evora and try out the suspension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the Evora section you can find all details for the suspension setting 😉

See attached pdf. You can see how they tuned the 400+ more and more agressively (camber etc.)

Im pretty sure, you can set up one of the 400+ also like the S1 if you want.

Back to the Emira 😉

Lotus_Fahrwerk_Einstellungen.pdf

• Like 2
For the few who know the difference

by the way: I am wondering how many cars actually are fitted with Michelin cup tires (or similar) - I am not sure all the drivers got the "right" temperature within the tires when driving not acessive beyond the speed limits (after LS spec Pirelli corsa no  longer available I changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, happy with them, esp braking in the wet...)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snoopy1969 said:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

I concur, great all round road tyres and you can use them on track.  CUPs are a bit more focussed and not great for rain.

I will get CUPs myself as I won't use my cars in the wet.  Actually, change that. If I can, i will get some spare wheels with wets as track days in the UK are hit and miss.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know the wheel specs/ width / offset etc? I wonder what aftermarket wheel options are available if we do wish to spec a track wheel/tyres combo. 

Is it still 5x114.3 ? Just need to know offset for front/rear to see what options are available 👍

Also anyone know If 'Sport' option gives a lower ride hight or just overall stiffness?