Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
7.5 degree ramp - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

7.5 degree ramp

• Gold FFM

For those, like me, who aren't fortunate enough to have a ramp or any other method of lifting her up sufficiently to work under her, short of jacks and axel stands, I've been thinking about a simple low cost approach.

For an S4 (maybe S4s and GT3?) the angle between the bottom of the front wheel and the foremost front side of the plastic lower bumper trim is 7.5 degrees:

image.png.66604c3db00ee20acf57b8439fb0300f.png

I'm thinking a solid wood ramp made to this angle could be secured to a garage floor and the car driven up this ramp. A stopper of some sort at the front edge of the ramp put in to ensure it doesn't go too far. Once driven up there, the rear could be jacked up and static wooden stands placed under the rear wheels to the same height. Point being that the car would be level and, with a front ramp length of ~1m, the raised height would be ~ 15 cm. Longer the ramp, greater the height. Not rocket science. Gets round the hassle of jacking up the front if you don't have a very long nosed jack.

I'm hoping that the standard 15cm height  + another 15cm would be enough even for the most portly of people to slide under and e.g. remove the oil filter.

Think I'll give it a go unless someone points out the utter ludicrousy of such an idea! :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

Thanks Ian. Should have figured such a thing is a thing already!! Will try to find a pair with a low enough angle but high enough step.

I use these, although I got a better deal off EBay for four of them.

https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=24849

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

5 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

Thanks Ian. Should have figured such a thing is a thing already!! Will try to find a pair with a low enough angle but high enough step.

Yep, you’ve just invented low rise car ramps 😖 they are even cheaper on Amazon app £27 and a lot lighter than a pair of sleepers 👍

• Haha 1

Before we had the workshop rebuild I just drove my Esprit on a set of blocks if I need to get underneath to change the oil or such. So it will definitely work, just make sure the ramps/blocks can't move as you drive onto them (fine on a coarse surface, not on a smooth garage floor). 8cm was plenty for me to get underneath with the oil pan.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Or a pair of steel 4x2 painted channel with white paint mixed with sand on the top for grip and cut out to hook straight on to the ramps and can be lifted out the way once up.

Just remember to replace before driving back down nearly happened 😅

20171105_110740.jpg

20171105_134341.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DaKa said:

I like your design more that mine as it appears more secure with the slots.

Also looks to be quite narrow so more difficult to ensure that you are  lined up ok. Made some for my evora from some staggered  lengths of chipboard and their width is close to the width of the tyres.

• Like 1

and . . . in any case when reversing off the ramps be sure to proceed slowly so as not to bottom out the airdam.

Cheers

• Like 1

Yes they are a bit narrow but all I do is place them in the middle of the tyre and line them up and back you go.

They are a bit heavy duty but nice and stable and easily lift off the ramps once up and also fit the Halford ramps as well 20170604_094959.thumb.jpg.dd55fd1c90b07ad8a54d7ea9e23cb752.jpg20180630_121806.thumb.jpg.3b8d267727776f03b6d656367bb699b7.jpg20171007_142425.thumb.jpg.d3bfdaf15baedbf61c29e650c43f73eb.jpg

20190217_094104.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Race Ramps in the USA sell some great low profile ramps - they are plenty wide and made of some aerospace polymer.  They have a texture on them similar to truck bed spray on the outside to keep them positioned/stop sliding.  Esprit readily backed on to them to do a oil change.  Coming from the front may be a slightly more challenging - angle of attack is really tight with the front lip.  They come in two pieces so you can remove the front portion and have more room to slide underneath.

At first I was hesitant about the price, but now that I have them oil changes go real quick and no drama with a jack.  Wish I had bought them sooner.  Also they are relatively light - so no heavy wood or metal to drag around.

www.raceramps.com