Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Climate Change Poll! Another Kimbers Poll! - Page 5 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Climate Change Poll! Another Kimbers Poll!

Kimbers

Your View on Climate Change  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Clearly we are passing through an era of chronic dystopia, where all is in crisis - gender, climate, democracy . . . and on ad finitum. 

Meh. Keep calm and carry on - mindfully.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I do believe the climate is changing, and the pace of change has accelerated.

However, we are measuring it in mm's (a couple of decades at best) whereas the climate has undergone gargantuan change over a millennia and more.

We've had periods of warming, and cooling, repeated, for over a million years and each of these events has been measured over 10, 15, 20, even 25,000 thousand years and more.

When we say this is the hottest day ever recorded, what we mean is, this is the hottest day in the last one, or two hundred years. We have no real records before that.

We do need to be more mindful of the environment and the world's climate for sure. We are dirtying and polluting it at a remarkable speed. But that is in part due to the size of the population and the rapid growth of human "civilisation" - given our propensity for waste, we're hardly civilised really.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

50 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I do believe the climate is changing, and the pace of change has accelerated.

However, we are measuring it in mm's (a couple of decades at best) whereas the climate has undergone gargantuan change over a millennia and more.

We've had periods of warming, and cooling, repeated, for over a million years and each of these events has been measured over 10, 15, 20, even 25,000 thousand years and more.

When we say this is the hottest day ever recorded, what we mean is, this is the hottest day in the last one, or two hundred years. We have no real records before that.

We do need to be more mindful of the environment and the world's climate for sure. We are dirtying and polluting it at a remarkable speed. But that is in part due to the size of the population and the rapid growth of human "civilisation" - given our propensity for waste, we're hardly civilised really.

A cull, it’s the only way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment

14 hours ago, Frickin_idiot said:

I suspect that a lot of the hysteria from academics regarding climate change is linked to the way in which research grants are allocated. I have no faith in the integrity of climate reports.

Last thing heard was there were over a million people employed in various industries linked to climate change including Climate scientists and acedemics. They have an agenda don't they? Their jobs are linked to them being right! It's like Greta Thunberg, she is supported and funded by those who have a vested interest!

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I was always a supporter of a greener lifestyle, ecologically sound policies like getting rid of as much plastic as possible etc I have always been 100% behind. Looking after and supporting our natural ecology, planting more tree's, stopping large housing estates, yes yes yes.

But this kind of "Forced appropriation" where everyone is forced to follow the most extreme thinkers and believers in the world and the....well....brain washing of so many who can't think for themselves, is actually pushing me the other way now. I am sick to death of being told my one car, which I do 1000 miles a year in, is Evil and I have to pay for it. When if you took the UK back to the dark ages, cancelled all electricity production, all cars, all manufacturing EVERYTHING! And we went back to subsistence farming. It would make absolutely a rats farts difference until the world wakes up and realises the only way to reduce harmful emissions is Spend the money on 3rd world countries power generation, force China, India, Russia & the USA to sort their power generation. Not tell people they can't drive a car because its your fault! 

Oh and cut population of course.

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

39 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Oh and cut population of course.

If we are really serious about climate change this should, and must, be the primary debate right now.

Every additional human being consumes a vast number of resources over its life time. Stop the population growth, you decline the impact.

There are too many people on the planet. Too many people living in areas that basically cannot sustain and support, adequately, human life. We need to start to move people away from where life is unsustainable. This has started unofficially, though economic migration of course.

However, when you look at the frankly bizarre projects that are being undertaken in the Middle East, for example the Neom city project. A farsical "dream" to build a 170km city, in the dessert. A couple of questions: (1) What is the environmental impact of this? - a clue, it's gigantic.  (2) What is the point of building it in the dessert? - a clue, there is none, it's vanity.  (3) It will become a mecca for consumption. The rich indulging and preening themselves, consuming vast quantities of resources to make the place hospitable and bearable. Why?

We have narrowly focused on a couple of things that we have demonised. Meanwhile, Russia, China, the US, India and others are polluting huge swathes of the planet and people are just turning a blind eye, as they have already decided on the demons, which are far easier targets to attack and control.

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I had a fascinating chat with my Son-in-Law t'other day.  He's a hands-on manager in a London hospital - a battlefield officer, one might argue.  He was telling me about all the wonderful advances - including AI - that are helping keep people alive.  I asked him if he really thought that is a good thing, given the bulk of these people (let's be honest here, I can say this because I'm more or less one of them) are no longer useful to the species.  In fact, by his own admission, many of them can no longer communicate or demonstrate awareness of their surroundings.  I certainly don't want to get to that stage, but we're not allowed to consider alternatives in this country.  Yet.

I think the message here is that everyone can see good emanating within their own experience and scope, and not enough attention is being paid to the macro effects of constant growth/continuous improvement etc.

No other species expends so much time and resource on keeping its old/infirm alive.  It's fundamental to long-term survival.

In other news, the hospital radiologists are now required to ask all patients, regardless of gender, if they think they might be pregnant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I am, for various reasons, currently sat in a hotel bar in Adelaide, Australia. Outside, most of the city roads are more congested than the M25 on a good day, and the city has expanded hugely. Vast shopping malls mirroring those in the US, and fast food joints, abound.

The last time I was here, if there were 6 cars in front of them, the Aussies were moaning like hell about “the traffic jam”. Well, they’ve really got something to moan about now.

Overpopulation is what’s going to kill us.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

In other news, the hospital radiologists are now required to ask all patients, regardless of gender, if they think they might be pregnant.

Fair enough, I guess it cuts down on the potential for costly lawsuits.

In  other news, it seems that some women don't believe that men should be allowed into women only clubs, whereas many women believe that male only clubs are misogynistic. Go figure!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/australia-women-only-art-exhibit-161900246.html?guccounter=1

@Chillidoggy - use your new found freedom as a man to feel free to attend!

• Haha 1

The small print.

10 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Fair enough, I guess it cuts down on the potential for costly lawsuits.

In  other news, it seems that some women don't believe that men should be allowed into women only clubs, whereas many women believe that male only clubs are misogynistic. Go figure!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/australia-women-only-art-exhibit-161900246.html?guccounter=1

@Chillidoggy - use your new found freedom as a man to feel free to attend!

As it happens, booking.com just sent me this recommendation for an excursion - 

IMG_6582.png

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Ripper!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Only the first time you do it, the next time isn't so bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I set 'em up; you knock 'em down.

• Haha 1

On 10/04/2024 at 11:33, Sparky said:

I had a fascinating chat with my Son-in-Law t'other day.  He's a hands-on manager in a London hospital - a battlefield officer, one might argue.  He was telling me about all the wonderful advances - including AI - that are helping keep people alive.  I asked him if he really thought that is a good thing, given the bulk of these people (let's be honest here, I can say this because I'm more or less one of them) are no longer useful to the species.  In fact, by his own admission, many of them can no longer communicate or demonstrate awareness of their surroundings.  I certainly don't want to get to that stage, but we're not allowed to consider alternatives in this country.  Yet.

I think the message here is that everyone can see good emanating within their own experience and scope, and not enough attention is being paid to the macro effects of constant growth/continuous improvement etc.

No other species expends so much time and resource on keeping its old/infirm alive.  It's fundamental to long-term survival.

@Sparky My late father always said they cure you of one thing so you can die of something else.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, red vtec said:

@Sparky My late father always said they cure you of one thing so you can die of something else.

Coincidentally and tragically, said Son-in-Law's mother had a minor medical issue 3 years ago, was admitted, caught COVID on the ward and died.

Wendy, as a 20 year nurse, always says the worst place you can be if you aren't actually dying, is Hospital. So much around that no matter how much cleaning they do you can't get rid of them all.

• Like 1

I believe it is a statistical fact that more people die from something they contract when in hospital, to what they originally went into hospital, for.

Unless you absolutely have no choice, best to stay away.

The small print.

C8RKH, think long and hard before going to bed tonight. Statistically far more people die in bed than anywhere else... It's a very dangerous place. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NG5 said:

C8RKH, think long and hard before going to bed tonight. Statistically far more people die in bed than anywhere else... It's a very dangerous place. 

I think quite a few on here will be wishing me an early night!

• Haha 2

The small print.

20 minutes ago, NG5 said:

Well, he ain't gonna get shagged to death. That's a dead cert. 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Well, he ain't gonna get shagged to death. That's a dead cert. 😂

You're right. I'd rather watch a good film these days.

• Haha 2

The small print.

• Gold FFM

Does anyone remember the film/series "Logans run" produced mid 70's?

It's 2274, and on the surface, it all seems to be an idyllic society. Living in a city within an enclosed dome, there is little or no work for humans to perform, and inhabitants are free to pursue all of the pleasures of life. There is one catch however: your life is limited and when you reach thirty, it is terminated in a quasi-religious ceremony known as "carrousel". Some, known as "runners", try to escape their fate when the time comes, and it's the job of Sandmen to track them down and kill them. 

IMO they had it pretty much spot on. It isn't fossil fuels or global warming that's destroying our planet, its us humans. Our success as a species is overwhelming the world on which we live, we are like a cancer multiplying whilst devouring our host. We need to be "carrouseled", maybe 30 is a bit young, but what use are we after 70?

Ahh, Logan's Run . . .    was it in that film we were treated to the sight of Jenny Agutter's ladyberries? Might have been Walkabout, though that one past me by.

Of late my mind circles around from time to time in reflection on what gives my life meaning, if any. As half of one more childless couple there's none for us to focus on in support, and all too soon my aged parents will be gone. So it's thin ground on which to stand in regard to meaningful living, so what I consequently strive for is to make happier the people with whom I have contact at every opportunity. Even the bloody customer support types, despite a long stretch on hold listening to the loop of sometimes discordant "music".

I'll carrousel myself out the door, thank you. Still have whitewater kayaking to try.

Cheers  

17 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Does anyone remember the film/series "Logans run" produced mid 70's?

.... but what use are we after 70?

Remember it well and am all for some humane despatch method either at a prescribed time or (IMO better) by request.

The what use question is much harder.  I stopped doing paid emplyment nearly 20 years ago - was that the end of my use?  I've never stopped "working" on stuff and am still the go to chap in the family to get things fixed/sorted.  So that's for my place, my Mum, Sister, one niece, one of F's sisters, and a couple of friends - say 7 or 8 households.   Does that count as of use?  Even if I did just couch and watch TV I still get enough dosh to pay a lot of tax and I get very few benefits and have been lucky enough to very rarely need to use any services.  So a net financial contributor - is that of use? 

My life philosophy has always been its all about enjoying our time here - nothing more "meaningful" than that.  As a result I look to enjoy more of my time than I don't.  We all have to do stuff we don't want to so its not pure hedonism but whenever the balance has gone the other way I make a change to redress the balance to get back to enjoying more.  As I've aged, I have wondered about the end game.  There's a lot of old people I know (have known) and I would not enjoy very much about their life and what they were able to do at all.  Once I deteriorate to enjoying less than half, and I can see that its not something I can address, then I'll be actively looking for a painless way out - carrousel would be ideal...bring it on.

• Like 2

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny