Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Type 132 - Lotus Eletre - Page 23 - Eletre Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Type 132 - Lotus Eletre

Bibs

I reckon it's pretty clear it's an SUV for people who like an SUV and all its standards features, not for people wanting a hardcore ultra lightweight car with no carpets and fixed windows like in the early Europa.

As long as they are just extending their catalogue with high end sport-ish cars I think it's perfectly fine if it helps them make a profitable business (I thought it was sad when Jaguar started making diesel cars but I don't feel the same here)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am / was hoping that is where the type 134 is aimed at. Would probably be a better seller than the large 132 - at least here in the UK?

yep agree with you there @eUKenGB.  Lotus could quite easily give a rough indication of what they are working on without having to commit themselves to hitting certain figures.

eg "We are working on a mid sized saloon EV platform.  Aimed at the mid range price point to compete at BMW 4 series, Audi A4 etc level.  And we are looking to severely undercut what the current cars on the market weight.  We are aiming for sporty GT cruiser type of car, suitable for everyday use but still real essence of for the drivers when on a Sunday morning blast"

That gives you an idea of what they are working on and if that appeals to you or not and you can decided if you want to hang on and wait for it.  It also doesn't commit them to producing a car that hits some specific figures eg if the car ends up costing £60K instead of £55K, its still in the ballpark and there wont be any black lash.

• Like 2

I sort of get this sentiment, but it doesn't ring true.  I too would like Lotus to be on the front foot with news and updates, but on they other hand they've caught a load of bad press on here for the length of time from announcement to delivery for the Emira.  What more can they say other than we're planning to produce a family of new cars over the next few years - ie saying nothing other than they intend to stay in business.    Pre-announcement of something you can't have can be just as much of a turn off.   So they have decided on teasers and no comment for the most part.  But does it really loose customers?  Not having the car to sell loses customers, but not telling them about something in the (distant) future probably doesn't.  I thought I was unusual in keeping cars for many years.  Most seem to buy on 2/3/4 PCP plans or similar and even if not change their cars every 2 or 3 years (or less!) just for a change.  So all those ready to buy now obviously can't have a 134 so will buy something else.  When it does come out (track record suggests >2yrs stated rather than less) then most would be ready for their next change, or the one after that anyway.  I'd suggest very few would "wait" for a car for two years as Ken says he would, no matter what they announced.

• Like 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

12 hours ago, Il fenomino said:

I think Lotus could make a SUV that is lightweight and still modern or even luxurious. With the right materials and the right construction methods. 

The battery is a serious handicap though, and as for the rest it might be doable to gain a few kg but what would be the cost? I guess they cannot do a full carbon body for a reasonable price for instance?

An aerodynamic car needs less battery and is therefore lighter. Also you can do without all the small electric motors like someone said before. I think the fabric they use is lighter as leather. So this is the way they should go about other things. 

3 hours ago, eUKenGB said:

You never heard of manufacturers with waiting lists. 😀

Yeah, but I've never heard of anyone riding a bike while "waiting" a year or two for their Morgan...

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Lotus on f/b today have come up with another 1 minute general video plus the tag line

Where others stop... Start

• Gold FFM

You think Barry? Hard to tell sarcasm on here. I think the video is half woke art class 101 and half motoring beauty. I did like the yellow lightning strike though!

• Like 2

Signature not working...

Actually remember seeing a battery powered Elise (S1) at the factory many years ago. Just had huge number of car batteries in the back.

That would be this one @Barrykearley, although it's not an S1 obviously. Note the number plate. Reminded me that Musk wasn't a founder, just an early investor who quickly ousted Eberhard and installed himself as CEO. The rest as they say is history.

IMG_20190129_231236_1~3.jpg

• Like 2

thanks Keith (i cant remember seeing the Electric Elise at 50th) I stand corrected Evija is not first electric Lotus, and yes i had also forgotten about the Electric Evora unless that was depicted as a hybrid.

Does make you wonder why Lotus didn't pursue their own Electric Elise?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

1 hour ago, DarrylV8 said:

Electric Evora unless that was depicted as a hybrid.

The Evora 414e is certainly a hybrid it had an engine....some pics were posted of it a few months ago. 

Have scanned a few negs from the 50th do so will post them somewhere else.

But I do distinctly remember a green S1 in a side display at the factory, but can't find a pic of it in my files. May be so put off by the idea of an electric lotus did not take one?  It was in a display of Lotus future tech sort of thing. But I think it was just a mass of car batteries, so imagine the performance/handling would have been a bit of a let down.

5 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

The Evora 414e is certainly a hybrid it had an engine....some pics were posted of it a few months ago. 

I would say an electric one with a petrol engine generator? (I think in a hybrid the petrol engine can propel the car too?)