Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
BOE CAI - Worth It? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

BOE CAI - Worth It?

Hi all,

After 6 years, feel like giving the Evora NA, an upgrade. Have a Lotus Sports Exhaust and 3rd Cat Delete. 

Does the BOE CAI make a major difference to the sound and performance, or does another CAI make more sense. Or should I just leave alone still. 

Help me decide!

Cheers

Chris

The BOE CAI, specifically on the NA, has shown noticeable gains in HP based on dyno graphs that have been posted over the years. I like mine more for the increased intake sound and the additional room in the engine bay with the stock air box removed. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Harey said:

Hi all,

After 6 years, feel like giving the Evora NA, an upgrade. Have a Lotus Sports Exhaust and 3rd Cat Delete. 

Does the BOE CAI make a major difference to the sound and performance, or does another CAI make more sense. Or should I just leave alone still. 

Help me decide!

Cheers

Chris

I have just replaced mine air filter system and done a detailed info on my project file.

I have a CAI (not BOE) on my NA IPS Evora with third cat delete and Lotus Sports Exhaust and have been asked by a 400 owner, “what else has been done to your car because I have trouble keeping up”. So yes it does make a difference.

• Haha 1

Just had mine fitted last week 

not had the running in mileage completed so can’t say for sure however:

the sound is more substantive and maybe more after a longer run or use

shed loads of stuff out of engine bay which are sitting in big box in shed 

mpg seems to had improved but I think that changing from E10 rubbish stuff to E99/98 

Had the BOE CAI fitted for a couple years now and I am a BIG fan.  The noise is a bit louder but also much more mature sounding.   You are increasing the quantity and quality of the sound.  Definitely makes the car feel faster with more mid range torque and improved throttle response.  

In my opinion if you have a Lotus sports back box already then CAI is the first thing you should look at (rather than exhaust mods) when trying to make the sound better.

I demoed a car with the Radium CAI, (not sure if this is still available) I found it was louder than the BOE and might be a bit too loud for some.  BOE was judged just right for me.

There are a few threads of people creating their own DIY kits.  Just depends on how handy you are and how much time you have.

Headers and the removal of the 2 cats that bake the engine. Not cheap, but you'll love the noise, the way the mid range pull is released on the NA and the engine will thank you for the reduced temp in the engine bay.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

4 hours ago, Harey said:

Thanks again @B430m, @Cdm2018 and @electro_boy.  I can't see the Radium unit for sale on their website - does anyone know if it's still available?

Forgot to say it wasn’t cheap but then cost is relative to each person money available to spend I guess ?

anyway it cost me just over £600 to get the BOE and fitting mind you the delivery of kit from US was rapid about a week 

I waited to see if anyone here was selling one but it’s very rare , I wouldn’t sell mine in future so very unlikely to get a used kit 

BOE also has not thrown up and engine lights or messed with ECU so you feel at ease to use the kit, like Jai mentioned some very clever folk have made their own at half cost but I would worry about issues with ECU etc 

personally wish I had it a few years ago to complement my lotus sports exhaust 

Yes I ordered direct and their response to my question was very prompt and also as said delivery was very quick better than sending a letter in the UK lol 

my understanding is the Radium version is no longer on sale and the BOE is only one which is tried and tested also the radium did have a couple of issues that some ECU threw out codes ? 
if you are competent with a spanner the fitting instructions are pretty good but alas I got mine fitted at my lotus garage for an hours labour cost although the guys took longer still charged me for an hour can’t fault that service ! 

Ok, leaning towards BOE, as I can't see a Radium for sale.  

The BOE site states "If your car is equipped with a sport exhaust w/ butterfly valve, please enquire about the vacuum pod kit necessary to make the valve function normally when in Sport Mode."  

Mine is a late 2010 production model (on the provenance certificate listed as MY11) and it doesn't sound like I have a valve, as the exhaust doesn't differ between sport modes; could not be working of course.  Is that correct?

Cheers

Chris

Have you sports button ? I haven’t and the guys didn’t have to fit any other vacuum kit ( unless they did and didn’t tell or charge me ?) 

will you fit it ? I think instructions and U tube can assist but I took the expensive and less hassle route of getting lotus to do the work as I am useless with a spanner or hammer 🤔

From...

MY2011

Evora S introduced and NA Evora changes - VIN BH_11178 onwards

All Models

• A new ABS module, equipped with revised software providing: Corner Brake Control (CBC), Drag Torque Control (DTC), Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA), Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), Electronic Differential Lock (EDL) and Traction Control System (TCS) The collective name for this functionality is ‘Lotus Dynamic Performance Management’ (Lotus DPM). Some of these features are carried over from the existing Evora ABS system specification.

• Interior : Heated front seats, interior tailgate release button and additional 12V aux power socket within the centre console under the HVAC controls

• Front intake grilles: Front bumper side intake grilles revised and blanking plates removed to allow airflow to the oil coolers but fitted to all variants.

• A New clutch m pedal is box fitted allowing for a revised clutch pedal ratio as well as a new master cylinder to give a reduced pedal effort. Clutch line damper bolted in the fluid line at the flexi pipe by the slave cylinder. Inertia weights fitted to gearbox crank lever selector, the higher inertia created by the additional weights helps to achieve a more positive gear change.

• New low loss motion and low friction gearshift cables fitted with less built-in tolerance than earlier ‘D’ level cables to assist in a more positive gear change when shifting between all gears.

Evora S Only:

• Harrop HTV1320 supercharger fitted.

• The exhaust system incorporates an exhaust silencer flap operated by an integrally mounted vacuum by-pass valve controlled by a solenoid. 

• ‘S’ models are fitted with twin front mounted air/oil coolers.

• The body styling is unchanged with the following exceptions:

• Door mirror covers: painted Phantom Black (Lotus code B123) as standard.

• Rear undertray: Additional integral underside air scoop used in conjunction with existing NACA ducts.

• New diffuser panel to accommodate distinctive diffuser finisher and tri-oval tailpipe silencer. Addition of the ‘S’ logo to the existing Evora rear bumper badge.

• Brake discs: Cross drilled brake discs and black painted callipers fitted to supercharged models as standard.

• Front lower wishbone rear bush stiffness by 10%. The bush change achieved a 12% reduction in Camber Compliance (less camber loss whilst cornering) and a 22% increase in lateral stiffness at the Tyre Contact Patch. The static geometry settings are also revised.

• Rear suspension: Both upper and lower wishbone bush stiffness’s are increased by 10%, and the rear anti-roll bar is increased by 0.5mm in diameter. The fitting of the revised components achieve a 19% reduction in Camber Compliance (less camber loss whilst cornering), a 32% increase in lateral stiffness at the Tyre Contact Patch and a 1.5% increase in rear roll stiffness. The static geometry settings are also revised.

• Optional Wheels: Front 19” Rear 20” Forged alloy Diamond Cut “Design” fitted with Bespoke Pirelli P-Zero Corsa tyres with specially formulated compound which can be identified with an LS marking on sidewall

• Transmission : Sports Ratio Gearbox fitted as standard. Lightweight low inertia flywheel allowing the engine to climb up the rev range more freely therefore making the engine feel sportier when compared to the naturally aspirated engine.

• Clutch: New lighter inertia, heavy duty clutch system fitted to manage the 400Nm torque produced by the supercharged engine, consisting of a new clutch cover with revised finger ratios and an upgraded centre plate.

• Havoline Multigear MTF HD 75W-80 for Evora S sports ratio gearbox.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

^^^^^Please be aware that not 100% of those improvements managed to actually make onto the MY11 production cars. 

For example, “Lightweight low inertia flywheel allowing the engine to climb up the rev range more freely therefore making the engine feel sportier when compared to the naturally aspirated engine.“ didn’t actually make it onto the cars until the Evora 400.

Hi Chris, if it helps, I have a 2010 Evora with sport button chassis number 1104* so just before the 2011 change.  I have had a Radium fitted on mine for the last 9 years, so if you want to take a look at it and compare cars you’d be very welcome - I’m near Chepstow, so pretty close.