Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Headlamp Continuously Going Up and Down - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlamp Continuously Going Up and Down

Out for a drive today and the driver's side headlamp starts going up and down continuously.

The lights were off, think I had just indicated, maybe flashed when it started and it continued even after parking up with the engine turned off.

Good job I have a battery isolator fitted. Restarting, sometimes it stopped for a while, then started happening again. 

Has part of the headlamp mechanism failed?

TIA G

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had something similar many years ago on elite s2, it happened overnight, burnt the wiring out. Was not the motor but seemed to be water getting into the wiring in the rh pod where the wiring was almost under water.  Had it been raining?  Had to have an auto electrical garage replace part of the engine bay loom.

(Lotus dealer just wanted to change the motor, but I had already tried that.)

• Thanks 1

I had the problem with my 1984 Excel. It was caused by the fact that there is no relay fitted and the headlight switch takes the full current. If a higher wattage bulb is used, the switch overheats and gives up. Cured by fitting a relay so the swith only carries the relay current.

• Thanks 1

This is a common problem with the M100. It is usually due to the motor gear bushes having disintegrated (basically 3 small plastic rods that have disintegrated after 30+ years of use) I'm guessing it could maybe be the same in your Excel?

• Thanks 1

It's the Stevens Esprit that uses the same motors, with the failing plastic rods) as the M100, the (late) Elite/Eclat and Excel use some Toyota stuff that's quite different. I prefer the Esprit/M100 system, it might need a rebuild from time to time but is easier to access/adjust and seems less troublesome.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

20 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

The Eclat Series 2 is on TR7 motors don't forget!

Pete

Right, I forgot about those! I thought they went from vacuum operated to Toyota motors. I should check if the early/Eclat Excel has TR7 or Toyota motors.

• Thanks 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

narrow body excel is on TR7 (Lucas) motors and wheelboxes.

TVR wedge also use them and have published an excellent user guide online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Returned home and it had stopped, but pod was not sitting fully home, slightly proud. Had a look at it the following day and it was sitting back as it should. Very strange.

As @Drawfiler said, probably a bad contact in the limit switch, possibly due to moisture.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gray14 said:

Spoke too soon   :)

It's back to moving continuously? :(

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I've found this only happens when I, usually mistakenly, activate the headlamp flasher. When I use the main or dipped beam they raise and lower correctly. I think that indicates the motor and it's relays are ok.

Is the headlamp flasher relay located in the driver's side pod as well? Or could it be the switch?

Many TIA

The flasher relay is in the drivers side footwell 

Had a similar problem with mine ...one of many problems I have had with the Lucas motors!

Every time I threaten them with MX5 motors they start behaving again😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just also check the main earth connection from front wiring to chassis.

I had very odd headlight pod behaviour in my Esprit that was due to this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Paul, I had a look in the driver's footwell and found these relays.

The wiring doesn't match the colours in the wiring diagram in my manual, but I'll have a 2nd look as someone on the Excel Forum has also said the headlamp flash relays are located here.

I matched the wiring to one relay, the orange one which is for the Radiator Fan, no idea what the strange looking one on the right is, anyone?

Relays in footwell.jpg

Looking at mine the silver one should be the flasher relay.

The white one you have is different to mine but is possibly the intermittent wiper relay.

I have written on each of my relays in indelible pen or tipex what they are for future reference.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Paul, I'll check that out. I think the big white one on the right is the radiator Fan Fail Module, as I just noticed the wire colours match this in the circuit diagram.

I'm having doubts about what the orange relay is. Will check and report