Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emira Paintwork issues - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira Paintwork issues

Hi, does anyone else have issues and concerns about their paintwork, I went for the dark verdant and it seems like it scratches and marks with even the lightest touch, I’ve had it ceramic coated but still no joy, I don’t like the idea of being forced down the road of PPF. I’m concerned about the longevity of the paint finish

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Hi Stuart. Did you get the car via a dealer? I would be going straight back to either them or Lotus.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Are the marks in the paint or the ceramic coat? Seems odd that paint would mark through a coating, might be worth getting a second opinion on that. Either the product or the application, both or which are critical on ceramic coatings. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Not sure about the guarantee, usually paint/clear coat lifting due to contamination of the surface prior to painting, or a poor finished surface would be most likely guarantee claim.

Re marks on the surface? Dark Verdant in good light will show up every small surface mark, but the ceramic top coat should afford a good degree of protection. Unless the car wasn’t Mop’d properly before it was applied and the marks are under the ceramic. @Stuart McCallAre you saying marks are appearing now and how/what are you cleaning the car with.

• Gold FFM

What colour is yours @KennyN

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Yes. :getmecoat:

• Haha 1

The paint and especially the black roof is incredibly soft. Customer 'chucked' an envelope on his while he was sorting paperwork and it left a very light scratch. paint correction and ceramic seemed to have helped no end tho.

• Sad 1

It appears that I spoke too soon regarding the quality of the paint job on my car.  It was back getting the rear LOTUS badge fitted following removal for a neater PPF installation (of course it was on backorder).

This gave my PPF guy the chance to give it the once over now that the PPF has had a chance to settle.  Unfortunately, micro blisters have started to appear on the driver's door.  As it is going to get a number of other issues looked at next week this will be another one for the list.  I am reluctant to get anything done about it at this stage, as there could well be more in time, but I am keen to get it acknowledged by Lotus and kept on record.  If it is going to need various areas repainted, I'd rather it was done as one job from a colour match point of view.

I will be interested to learn who is expected to pay to get the PPF redone as and when it is fixed.  This and the ability to address the other issues will determine whether this car is a long-term keeper, as I really do not have the time nor the patience to be back and forth getting things looked at following the delivery delays.  So much for the alleged superior QC at the factory, my last Exige needed the back end painted within 3 years due to micro blisters, it appears that little has improved on this front.

• Sad 4

I don't know much about modern paintwork, but was looking at three Emiras in a showroom on Saturday.  The paint finish looked to me to have masses of orange peel on all three cars (2 blue and 1 verdant).  The Exige beside them had lovely smooth shiny paint (as did the Elan Sprint DHC), chalk and cheese.

Is that the normal finish these days?  Kind of mottled.

There were quite a few scratches to be seen as well (the detailer will attend to them apparently).

I'm told that modern paint is often subject to orange peel.  Mine was no exception, but it was corrected to a degree before applying PPF.  Thankfully, there were no scratches, overspray, runs, or dry edges in my case.  That said, they would have been easier to deal with than blisters.

Some of the most apparent orange peel I've seen is on BMWs, every car in the showroom was noticeably affected the last time I was in a BMW showroom.  I asked the salesman if this was what I could expect if I placed an order, and he quietly shared that he had recently moved from Mercedes and the cars in the showroom would never have made it in front of prospective customers with his previous employer.  I thanked him for his honesty and time then I went and bought a Mercedes.

• Like 1

Great article but how do you get the electrical/magnetic attraction of the paint to a non metal body like GRP?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!