Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust time/ 2bular or alternative. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust time/ 2bular or alternative.

Afternoon folks, my recently acquired n/a Evora is far too subdued, should i go for the 2bular or just remove the 1 cat or is there a better alternative out there, coming from tvr's it just needs some aural drama to match the sublime looks.

As Rambo says

i don’t know what exhaust I have but on a recent lotus group run the Elise behind commented my car sounded fab , however I think in part it’s dud to BOI induction which I recommend to consider along with exhaust changes 

A cold air intake mod, as Clive mentioned, can add drama for the occupants without making the car too loud in general. I had the Radium CAI when I had my Evora and the sound inside was amazing. If you can get one it would be cheaper and easier to fit than the exhaust. 👍

Would just the 3rd cat delete make a big difference, or does it really need the exhaust/intake sorting, ive been doing lots of research but is there anywhere where i can get all that's needed under one roof who specialize in Evora upgrades.

13 hours ago, eddietiv said:

Would just the 3rd cat delete make a big difference, or does it really need the exhaust/intake sorting, ive been doing lots of research but is there anywhere where i can get all that's needed under one roof who specialize in Evora upgrades.

It will make some difference, and is a fairly cheap and straight forward mod to do. If the sound then still isnt what you're looking for then swap the factory rear silencer(very heavy!)  for a 2Bular, Larini etc, add induction after that if you want more. I went straight to decat plus 2Bular non valved on my 2010 NA about 10 years ago and still love the sound. Its not too loud or boomy and does a few little burbles on the over run. I also fitted a Radium CAI which improves the soundtrack further. If you are anywhere near Chepstow, you are welcome to have a listen and demo.

You can also sell the 3rd cat for between £300 and £500 so you can make a profit even after buying the 3rd cat delete pipe. No, even a wife could not argue with that man logic/maths!

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I'd advise doing it in stages. Start with 3rd-cat delete, then maybe 2bular back box, then maybe CAI. My old car had 2 of these and was mentally loud. Restored OEM CAI and I think it was about right (for me). All 3 would have been totally nuts, I reckon.

Have a chat to ES Motorsports they can help you out with the mods they did my car, tell them Jay sent you.

Larini, 2Bular and Komotec are the most common exhaust suppliers for Lotus bits and BOE are the most common (only) NA induction kit suppliers but are based in US.  Although ES may have their own solution they can provide? 

When I first got my Evora it had 3rd CAT already deleted, Lotus sports back box, otherwise standard.  It certainly sounded a little bit louder and fruiter than other Evoras and is a worth while change as its relatively cheap to do.  It's just replacing a the 3rd CAT with a bit of tube so any good exhaust place should be able to knock that up.  Otherwise I believe both Larini and 2Bular have suitable products.

But if you want to go the whole hog, I have BOE Fab induction kit, Larini exhaust headers (removes the initial CATs), down pipe and Y collector, sports CAT in place where the 3rd CAT usually is and the Lotus Sports back box.

This gives it a fantastic noise, louder and richer and way more drama without being too asbo.  It passes most track day noise tests (just) and is tolerable on long journeys.  The indication kit can be expensive to get hold off as its shipped from the US but in my opinion is well worth it.

Fantastic feedback chaps, the advice is reassuring, im a big fan of induction as i had an S1 elise with the vhpd engine which sounded as though it would suck your head off, just brilliant. A fair few variables here, cheers Whitey but Chepstow a little too far but if anybody nearer Dudley way id love to take a look at your exhaust configuration.

1 hour ago, electro_boy said:

The induction kit can be expensive to get hold off as its shipped from the US but in my opinion is well worth it.

Or alternatively it can be a DIY job using the pictured items for around £130 

20220219_162841.jpg

20220221_121537.jpg

20220221_121531.jpg

Edited by NAC63
  • Like 1

As Jai said above the BOI induction is worth it wish I did it before Brexit as the cost jumped significantly and you find it hard to track a used kit 

the DIY version some very clever folk had created here are suitably cost effect but if you are like a spanner with a spanner then not an option?

I am in Leicestershire if you want to view my car, I don’t know if I got a cat delete , not even sure of what my exhaust is I think it’s a lotus one ? 

Not easy to give a balanced opinion as most only have insights on the option they chose.

2bular cat-back on mates V6 Exige increased volume quite a bit and made it both bassier and snarlier. If its an aural improvement you are after - would recommend.

I went to Jim at 2bular too, but went in the opposite direction - manifolds and sports cat, but keeping the OEM cat-back.

Volume went up a bit (but nowhere near the increase created by cat-back only) and it sounds more aggressive. One slight downside is that the oem headers are unequal length - which isn’t great for performance, but does add a subtle gargle that is removed with the equal-length headers. There are now some crackles on the over-run (but they sound “natural” - not in-your-face constant crackling like Jag engineered into their supercharged V8 for example).

The best news however is that the power increases are felt by your arse-dyno, and the “strong mid-range, softening towards the redline” behaviour switches to “strong mid range, pulling hard to the redline”. As you might expect with a free-er flowing system - benefits are more apparent at higher revs. My experience is with the supercharged engine, but I understand the character change to the NA is similar.

My V6 Exige mate later added the headers to match his back-box. It was then too loud for me (although he loved it), and he reported similar feelings around the urgency of the car with the headers on.

(my insurance went up £0 based on adding the headers and notifying them btw)

• Like 1

I have a 3rd cat delete pipe if you want to go down that route, my car already had one on and an exhaust i bought came with it.

Ive also a lotus sports exhaust if you fancied that, personally i think the 3rd cat delete and the lotus sports exhaust is how the car should have come sounds great but not too loud at all 

18 hours ago, NAC63 said:

Or alternatively it can be a DIY job using the pictured items for around £130 

20220219_162841.jpg

20220221_121537.jpg

20220221_121531.jpg

Dont suppose you have a list of the items here? 

Looks a great job, did it sound much better?

Echo what Mik says regarding change to power delivery.

I have an NA engine and other bits a bobs to him but the end result is the same ie my changes let the engine breathe more. I felt the same greater sense of urgency to the engine and felt the same stronger top end he describes and it makes you really want to chase that redline!

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

A couple of interesting items here. NAC that DIY jobby you put together looks nice and a much simpler setup than OEM (honestly, who designed that!?) but does that cone not bake in the engine bay? Realise it's sat right next to the intake hole but I'd prefer to have it sealed to the hole to get a ram-air effect and ensure cool air at all times.

Interesting that people report a stronger pull toward redline with changes made to intake and or header changes. It's what I would expect, but I don't feel a fall off to the red-line in my car anyway. It pulls like a train harder and harder to the limiter, I'm tempted by the header kit because it just seems like better engineering and those pre-cats bother me.

Just remembered I have a few vids. This is my mate's first Exige (he now has a 430) with just the 2bular cat-back.

14 hours ago, NAC63 said:

The parts are listed in a thread by evorabob My Evora N/A projects.

Images and list of parts towards the bottom of THIS PAGE (which is page2).

(Note1: I haven't done this - I just found the thread)

(Note2: Out of interest I just spent 5mins pricing this up using Forge Motorsport for the hoses, and ebay for the other bits - other sellers are available and this was a very quick look - comes to around £184 inc vat excluding jubilee clips etc).

Edited by mik