Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil Filter Recommendation - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil Filter Recommendation

G_Reaper

Hi Everyone. I've done a quick search and cannot find any reference to oil filter alternatives to the Lotus OEM Filter. As Lotus must get these made for them and branded for them I was hoping someone had experience of other brands of filters that are as good if not better than OEM filter. Info on the current thinking on oil grade and brand would be useful too for a 1982 N/A 2.2. 

Cheers Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It is critical you use the correct oil filter. My engineer advises Lotus OEM only. The OEM one retains the oil at rest, ensuring quicker oil pressure circulation on start-up. 

There may be a branded one that does the same but you need to be certain. 

Brian Angus, Esprit platform engineer at Lotus, advises to use Lotus OEM too. He has retired but writes about Esprit for Club Lotus. 

Valvoline Racing 20/50 is the oil the engine was designed around. I wouldn't use anything else but oil is an emotive subject it seems! 

Justin 

17 minutes ago, jep said:

The OEM one retains the oil at rest, ensuring quicker oil pressure circulation on start-up. 

No it doesn't. Once stationary the oil in the filter drains out past the crankshaft bearings. You can verify this by leaving the engine over night before removing the filter when you'll find it virtually empty of oil. This is the reason the oil pressure takes quite a while to register on the gauge after starting a cold engine. 

Cheers,

John W

1 hour ago, jep said:

Here is Brian Angus article

Thanks for that, a great article by someone with intimate knowledge of the engine. I was just trying to help by pointing out the oil does not remain in the filter after the engine is stopped, which Brian's article does not disagree with. I personally only ever used Lotus filters on my Esprits, why would anyone use anything else in order to save a couple of quid while risking the engine of its lubrication?

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

That's the first time I heard something bad about Mann filters. Usually they are used as a benchmark when cutting up and comparing filters? It's my go to brand for any filter, except the one on the Esprit (purely because of the hex).

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Another vote for the K&N HP-2004 here, although I’m currently using a PNM.

The hex is handy for removing the filter, but on occasion I found it has not been sturdy enough for a really tight removal, and I’ve destroyed the filter getting it off.

Margate Exotics.

That must have been an over tightened filter to shear of the hex! At least you can still use a standard filter wrench if it does shear, so not much lost.

Maybe that is the biggest risk, as the hex makes it easy to over tighten when installing.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

That's what I thought. Best to set the record straight for others reading this topic. 😉 Fram and Purolator do get some very poor reviews.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Escape said:

That must have been an over tightened filter to shear of the hex! At least you can still use a standard filter wrench if it does shear, so not much lost.

Maybe that is the biggest risk, as the hex makes it easy to over tighten when installing.

I never use the hex for installing, or a filter wrench, only by hand. And they can still sometimes be really tight to get off, sometimes not. And no, I don’t know why, either!

One of my engineers used to insist on using a filter wrench to install engine oil filters. I had to put a stop to it because on one occasion, on a 16-litre Volvo, unbeknown to him he’d creased the filter casing between the engine and the filter, where it couldn’t be seen. A few hours later, the oil pressure split the casing and sprayed the entire 15 gallons of sump oil in the bilge. The engine duly seized and stuck a con-rod through the side of the block.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Yeah, I've had that too, but always put it down to being over tightened or left too long. Neither of which seems plausible in your case. Maybe the heat cycles can get the seal to 'weld' to the housing? Though once off, I could never see any damage.

The Volvo 16 litre, was that the big 6-pot as used in the trucks? A proper power house back in the day! 😎

Not forgetting PNM have their own filter which identical to the Lotus OEM filter as its made by one of Lotus' OE suppliers and half the price!

PNM Oil filter link

spacer.png

• Like 2

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

For many years I have routinely reviewed postings on an American forum site dealing with all matters automotive, some highly informed professionals among those contributing. Regarding oil fliters in the most recent discussion it has been noted how Fram quality had gone utterly into the tank under new management after a corporate takeover not too many years ago. Since then there has been an about-face and the current top spec Fram's are highly rated on all vital points. FWIW

Cheers

5 hours ago, Escape said:

The Volvo 16 litre, was that the big 6-pot as used in the trucks? A proper power house back in the day! 😎

Yes, a marinised version, twin engine installation, in a pilot boat. Dreadful things in that particular application, a mayfly had a longer lifespan.

Margate Exotics.

I find unless you tighten the filter a bit more than by hand, the oil cooler sandwich plate seal leaks. This is held on by the filter. TBH this solution is less than ideal for an original installation, they are intended for aftermarket.

The k&n filter has a drain back return valve, I started to use this type in my Lexus (3.0 straight 6 petrol) which really made a difference to cold starting noise, so also use In the Lotus as well, makes sense to Use a filter with a flow back valve, doesn't it? 

• Like 1

I’ve used the Mann W920/21 for years. Quality product made in Germany. 

if you pre-fill the filter with oil and then hold it horizontal you can gauge how much oil is retained in the filter after shutdown. The Mann filter retains a considerable amount. I’ve always got good pressure within seconds of engine start. 

I have used the K&N filter for while now with no issue.

You don't even want to know what the local Lotus dealer asks for a filter...

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!