Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brake pedal sensor - effect of failure - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Brake pedal sensor - effect of failure

• Gold FFM

So, I've got the good old TC and ABS lights on. As it's the middle of winter, difficult to get a garage that's ready to deal with it and I need the car, do we know if it fails 'Safe' or fails 'dangerous' i.e. are all my driver aids on or off?

Save doing some enthusiastic (and possibly dangerous) testing, I thought I would check if anyone knew.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When I had problems with mine it was not on all the time, and on one occasion I drive around 40 miles after it triggered without noticing anything untoward.   

It was only when it seemed to come on all the time that I changed it. I followed the instructions I found and did it myself. Would have been better if I had read all the instructions as it would have been easier. I bought the part some months before I changed it. 

Obviously this assumes yours is  the brake pedal switch and not something else.

• Gold FFM

Yeah, the OBD reader shows no faults. Not the best state of affairs to drive around in winter with no driver aids, the rain this morning for example!

I'll order a switch and have a go at changing it, doesn't look too bad from the internet searches as long as I get the right part. PITA that it happens at Christmas time just after our other car got nicked!

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

Why not diagnose the fault with a good OBD 11 reader?

which reader would access this area of the car(apart from a Lotus one)

When I have had this fault, it is intermittent and the first that happens is that it drops out of Sport mode and you get the TC and AB’s lights on. I have normally found that this happens if you are just using the car lightly and hardly touching the brakes. Mine will normally clear itself after the first restart. If using the car harder, incl the brakes, it doesn’t seem to happen on my car. I bought a new sensor a few years ago and have never fitted it as the fault quickly clears and I make habit of using the brakes harder than normal periodically and that keeps it away.

I would try a few restarts, if it clears, take it for a decent run and hit the brakes a few times. Works for me anyway 😀

• Gold FFM
19 hours ago, TdM said:

So, I've got the good old TC and ABS lights on. As it's the middle of winter, difficult to get a garage that's ready to deal with it and I need the car, do we know if it fails 'Safe' or fails 'dangerous' i.e. are all my driver aids on or off?

It fails off - it cannot fail on if the sensor it uses to operate isn't working!

• Gold FFM

Well, it's had a new sensor and the lights are still on. I suspect the issue is actually something relay related, some clicking can be heard randomly coming from the back seat area... I'll update when I find out what is causing it

• Gold FFM

Thanks Bruss. I didn't know that could cause the same lights to come on. You might be onto something as the car is very lumpy after clutch engagement in second as well, which would marry with the clutch sensor.

• Gold FFM

Optimal answer is to get the ABS codes read! (I appreciate that may not be easy over the holiday period)

I'd definitely be investigating any relays clicking in the rear fusebox, I've not come across that before.

It could still be a mal-adjusted brake pedal switch.

Dave

28 minutes ago, DH2 said:

It could still be a mal-adjusted brake pedal switch.

when I did my switch, I had the spanner symbol, adjusting the plunger steps sorted it and spanner went away after a number of re-starts.

The car has to be happy with the brake switch position. Lotus states to start at 5 clicks out (of course, they set it up while hooked to their computer). For the rest of us, its trial and error to get it correct.

My first replacement switch made the car happy with the plunger at 5 clicks. My last two switches needed 7 clicks out for the car to be happy.

If the issue was the brake switch and you have it to the  proper setting, the lights will go out after the 5th key cycle.

• Gold FFM

From the Service Notes.

238477237_10159151800130528_2064071142773063636_n.jpg

• Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

• 2 weeks later...