Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 63 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, Rambo said:

Another problem with an EV fire is volume of water required to put it out.

“An electric car crashed on a highway in Wakefield Thursday, bursting into flames that took more than two hours and 20,000 gallons of water to extinguish, police said.”

Typically a petrol car takes as little as 500 gallons to extinguish. With an EV car, the levels of lithium, cobalt and nickel contaminants are much, much higher and therefore require more intense clean up procedures.

I think it is the water required for cleanup that is the issue. You can put a flaming EV fully submerged in a swimming pool and it will continue to burn as the chemical process during the burning produces oxygen as abi-product - so the fire basically feeds itself. That's the really scary bit for me.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Off topic, so sorry about that.

I'm mentioning this in here as there was reference to the MG3 and the MG4 a fair bit earlier than today.

The older gentleman that is the crossing guard at my Grandson's school bought an MG3 new.

No, he doesn't have to get rid of it due to the chassis rotting out as mentioned earlier.

He has had the car for maybe three years. Back at the dealer's for.........

an entire new engine.

In warranty, so no cost to him and no, I can't tell you why.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Today's Times:

Electric cars should finally become more affordable next year because new government rules will levy a fine of £15,000 per car if too few are sold.

Under the zero emission vehicle (ZEV) mandate, which comes into force on January 1, manufacturers will have to ensure that 22 per cent of cars they sell every year are fully electric. The target will rise each year, hitting 80 per cent in 2030.

If too few electric cars are sold, the manufacturer will either have to pay a £15,000 fine for each petrol, diesel or hybrid model sold above that threshold, or buy “credits” from rivals such as Tesla, which has an all-electric range.

Car manufacturers such as Toyota and Ford will be under intense pressure to sell more electric cars, which account for only 16.3 per cent of the market according to the trade body, the SMMT.

They are therefore expected to cut prices, making electric cars a little more affordable. Many people are put off by the price of an electric car, with only nine new models available for under £30,000, compared with 90 petrol or diesel models on sale for less than that price.

• Sad 2

Cheers,

John W

See some EV's are already heavily discounted , noticed a Mokka-e near me in Exeter new price  £39683 now £27699, that's almost £12k off. They will have to end up giving them away.

20 minutes ago, jonwat said:

If too few electric cars are sold, the manufacturer will either have to pay a £15,000 fine for each petrol, diesel or hybrid model sold above that threshold, or buy “credits” from rivals such as Tesla, which has an all-electric range.

What does this mean? Other manufacturers will give money to the likes of Tesla for doing nothing?

Yes @LotusLeftLotusRight. It's very much like the now largely discredited carbon offsetting schemes where you could book a flight and then pay a small extra charge for a tree, or a carbon credit certificate, to be purchased.

In this case, if you take Tesla, as they are a 100% EV brand, they will meet the ZEV criteria for 2024 at 100% of sales. The target for 2024 is 22%. So if they sell 1000 cars in 2024, 220 will count to their ZEV target. Tick.  That will leave 780 cars sold that can be "traded" as an offset with another manufacturer. So say Ford could buy 780 "credits" for £xxxx to offset their "fine" which would be 780 * £15,000 = £11,700,000. So as long as what they pay Tesla, is less than the £11.7m fine (in this example) then Ford are in "profit" and Tesla is laughing it's arse off all the way to the bank!

It's a crazy system and the result of too much compromise.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Totally insane. But unfortunately these days compromise and self interest is promoted everywhere.

Personally, the targets are mandatory, and no ability to "horse trade" should have been allowed. But that would have hurt too much I suspect.

The small print.

Hard to ignore during times such as these are the geopolitics of industry and energy, surely also a factor guiding all this.

A quick thought or two to offer on the matter of individual motoring itself, somewhat impelled by persistently anti-auto policies popular in my city and elsewhere. It seems to me that the automobile undeniably must rank top tier alongside those few other things by which humanity has been greatly emancipated. It's preaching to the choir making my pitch here, of course, but how greatly would we rate the scale of joy, utility, and productivity the car has brought to our lives?

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The beauty of petrol (and why is superseded coal 100 years ago) is that it has a high energy density and is very portable.  So petrol doesn’t just power the car, it makes the car into its own ‘power station’. 

Electric cars take their power from power stations so have an element of inefficiency because of transmission losses.  But given the national grid, electricity is even easier to transmit than petrol.

Assuming my maths is OK….the most efficient ICE cars do ~70mpg, and with ~40kWh in a gallon of petrol, means they do 57kWh/100 miles.  The best electric cars are at 25kWh/100 miles - double the efficiency.

Then the CO2 - the national grid is about half gas, half zero emissions.  Which puts it at about 1/3 the emission of petrol.  So in the above example, the electric car emits 1/6 the CO2 of an ice car.

But there are lots of other things to consider, but electric cars are far more efficient, less CO2 and easier to ‘fill up’ (in a developed urban environment) than anything else going.  

But let’s see what else gets invented ???

• Like 1

Repost, but fair enough as it made me laugh again. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 12/12/2023 at 11:48, Danielg00 said:

Then the CO2 - the national grid is about half gas, half zero emissions.  Which puts it at about 1/3 the emission of petrol.  So in the above example, the electric car emits 1/6 the CO2 of an ice car.

You need to factor in the transmission and distribution losses that occur (it's just simple physics unfortunately) of between 8 and 15% for the electricity moving from the point of creation (generation) to the point of use (in the home). That "loss" needs to be added to the EV usage figures.

The small print.

• Gold FFM

Is electric the answer……

Well if it stops me getting through another damn clutch and a breakdown then maybe yes! 😡

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

If it's not a clutch it'll be something else, probably your flux converter or something.

The small print.

Germany has just cancelled the financial bonus when buying a new electric car. They've realised they don't have the money to keep forcing the transition. And in a level playing field, EVs have little chance against ICE. Probably (hopefully) the first step to make the EU and others realise the target of 2030 or 2035 is not attainable. 

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

I see about three Teslas each day. I think they are different ones. Never taken much notice of the number plate/s. All of them speed. Well, they are probably allowed to being as 'green' as they are.

I believe that there are more Hyundia EVs out there at the moment. Again, haven't counted or kept up with exactly which models are what.

I drive a 1.5 litre turbocharged 4 cyl. I'm happy.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)