Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 56 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

Followed an electric car today that I had never heard of, an ORA. Evidently Chinese and seems to be available for a reasonable pcp price. 

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

2 minutes ago, pete said:

ORA

Yep the ORA Funky  Cat, seen some months ago at the Merc garage here in Exeter, strange looking thing. There are trade mark disputes over their  use of 'CAT'  and even ORA.

We also now have  BYD - another Chinese company, opened early August in Exeter. Went him and had a chat with them a few days after they opened. They are the biggest Chinese car makers that no-one has heard of in the UK. The BYD Atto3 looks better than the Funky Cat.

• Like 1

Insurance premiums seem to have doubled for everything car related just recently, judging by posts on here and elsewhere.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 30/09/2023 at 17:13, jep said:

One chap had his Tesla renewal go from £450 to £1,400.

I just heard Aviva has stopped insuring Tesla Model Ys? Too expensive to repair so they say.

I wonder how this will effect the Lotus electric car sales? I mean you cant drive here in the UK without insurance but what would be the repair cost of a high performance EV like the Lotus ones?

Maybe manufacturers will have to provide cost effective insurance or maybe a promise of low cost repair should something get damaged?

• Like 1

https://www.am-online.com/news/aftersales/2023/10/03/ev-warranty-claims-more-than-triple-in-three-years

Alongside the increasing volume of repairs, the average cost of an EV warranty claim has also shown a significant uptick.

For example, in 2021, the average claim across the MG EV range was £430 and in 2023 it is £2,200, a 390% increase. A similar trend can also be seen with Tesla, with the cost of claims rising 231% since 2021

While there remains a perception that EVs have fewer moving parts and less can go wrong with them, in reality we're seeing an equivalent mix of failures to petrol and diesel vehicles.

• Like 1

And I'm willing to bet spare parts will be more expensive, because they're more complex and there is less supply.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Love your posts like this @Kimbers that delve "behind the scenes" so to say. Really insightful.

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

When I first used the internet it was, quite frankly, for technically minded folks, or, as some may call, geeks. It was only when the technology mature to a sufficient level did the internet explode.

EV’s mirror this somewhat. The technology and infrastructure isn’t quite there at this moment. Government edicts won’t change that unless sufficient investment is forthcoming.

I much prefer and organic take up of new technology rather than this artificially forced model.

That's exactly the problem: the internet exploded after a gestation period for 'geeks', students etc. But EVs are pushed by governments, despite most manufacturers and the majority of the public having little or no interest, and yet are forced down the EV road whether they like it or not and not really taking into account all the different advantages and disadvantages. I'd also argue the explosion of the internet was less disruptive because it is largely entertainment based (such as this forum), whereas mobility is quite essential and can be considered a right. All the more reason to let it evolve, as it has for centuries, instead of force a revolution nobody really wants (apart from Musk & China maybe). And yes, I'll admit the explosion of the internet does have it's disadvantages, like forms and products you can only get online (a genuine problem for some older people) or bars without a proper menu but only a QR code (my pet hate as I wont use a smart phone).

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

So after 11881 miles, my VW Passat GTE Estate PHEV has consumed 199.9 gallons of unleaded. This equates to 59.4 mpg. That is a mix of predominantly long distance driving, as well as max. 35 mile battery-only local runs. I charge up at home using the standard 3 pin plug charger. I have never used a fast charger or topped up via any charger during a long run, so any battery charging en route is performed by the ICE.

Oh and in a recent post I mentioned that a Renault Twingo had taken up permanent residence in one of the two new electric vehicle charging only parking bays nearby. Well it has now been joined by a dirty great L322 early 2000s Range Rover in the second bay. So that’s that then. Local charging infrastructure paid for and installed, but now unavailable for anyone to use. Box ticked for the Council though.

My diesel Merc E cabriolet daily has averaged 57.1 mpg over the last 9k, mostly motorway, miles. I know which I'd rather drive :)

• Like 2

The small print.

And don't forget the nail bar!

The small print.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

My diesel Merc E cabriolet daily has averaged 57.1 mpg over the last 9k, mostly motorway, miles. I know which I'd rather drive :)

My Sportage PHEV, only ever charged at home on 3 din plug has just clocked over 6000. Thanks to 4 long trips in the last 6 weeks my average fuel economy has dropped from 171mpg to 152mpg. On a long trip I can get just over 62mpg using the 42 miles electric for the last 40 miles, but only do that if I know there's a free charger or 3 din plug wherever I am going. But we are going into winter so my petrol engine will have to be used more to heat the car up.

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

1 hour ago, Kimbers said:

My Sportage PHEV, only ever charged at home on 3 din plug has just clocked over 6000. Thanks to 4 long trips in the last 6 weeks my average fuel economy has dropped from 171mpg to 152mpg.

Now that's more like it and makes a strong case for the PHEV.

I have to admit that I looked at a Kia EV6 GT yesterday. Lovely bit of kit...

The small print.