Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1980 Elite Petrol pump - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1980 Elite Petrol pump

Afternoon Guys,

I wonder if you can help. My petrol pump has ceased to function. I have tried hitting it with something heavy to no avail. There is power to the unit, so I guess the pump has stuck, through gummy petrol or something more serious.

Any ideas please, or is it a new pump. The unit is an upgrade from Lotus bits, about 6 years old and very little use.

Thank you.

Rick

Lotus Pump.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 hours ago, makkyh said:

There is power to the unit

Then it's probably blown the fuse so you'll need to replace it when you replace the pump.

Cheers,

John W

Is the pump the contact points type that click when you turn the ignition on. These are prone to need maintenance ,but I like mine as it's give an audible check that it's working and when the clicking stops you know the carbs are primed. Conversion kits are available to change to  these to more reliable fully electronic, solid state (?) versions. https://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spares.html

YouTube how to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SU+pump+overhaul+mgb+

After I overhauled mine I found I had dislodged the earth connection.

• Like 1

Thank you both. Yes the pump is clicky type.

I will see if I can sort it.

Where is Dan when I need him.

Best

Rick

Following on from the above, and thank you Gray, what would you replace it with?

If you're not afraid to take it apart (really nothing to it, just some bolts to undo and seals to put back in the right place), there's nothing to lose. The clicky type usually take only a little fettling to get going again. It's like cleaning up the points in a distributor.

As above, I too like the clicking noise as an audible indication of priming the carbs. I certainly wouldn't pay more for a modern version as long as I can keep it going. The one in my Excel is standard design and has served me well for coming on to 7 years now. Including a couple of years laid up, so I'd say it's very reliable.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

funnily enough I bumped into @makkyh last night, who was with his lovely wife and carrying some sort of plant in a pot at 9pm at night! @Sparky (sparkles) this is a job for you 

• Gold FFM

Sorry, I know nothing about pot plants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Sorry, I know nothing about pot plants.

you have always wanted to work on that Elite, Rick owns a pub as you know, there is a deal in there somewhere 

Thanks to all, even though Dan seems to have gone a little off topic.

Sparky, deffo and beer and a curry on offer.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Rick, talk to me.  We've chatted around this for years!

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2024 at 14:07, Clive59 said:

I've just replaced mine with this and it looks to be working great (although I need a new banjo for the tank for my new fuel line).

On 09/03/2024 at 14:07, Clive59 said:

Just a thought on this one. Won't the pressure be slightly high at 3-5psi? I guess as long as it regulates to 3 all the time it should be ok but isn't that right at the top of tolerance? Or am I talking rubbish as per usual?!

It worked perfectly for me in my Elite S2. I didn't think it would cause any issues. I did check and recheck float levels, and engine ran beautifully. Can't really say more than that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Clive59 said:

It worked perfectly for me in my Elite S2. I didn't think it would cause any issues. I did check and recheck float levels, and engine ran beautifully. Can't really say more than that.

Cool cool. I'm going to take mine for the first drive tomorrow with this pump to get some more petrol but idling it runs great!

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome news. How did you confirm it was the capacitor? Apart from replacing it and it started working again!

Edited by soldave