Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pressing the gaspedal before starting - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Pressing the gaspedal before starting

Hello,

I recently purchased an Esprit S1 with 907 engine upgraded with an electronic ignition system. Before I start the car I have to press the gaspedal 3 or 4 times to build up pressure. Can someone explain why and is there a modification that makes starting the car easier? Thanks!!

Edited by cschriks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Priming it is called.

Totally correct procedure for twin carb Lotus 9 series engine. It's in the handbook. 

And don't rev it hard until the oil pressure registers.

Justin 

• Like 1

As an add to this, I have heard that Esprit's can be a real bugger (I believe that is the correct technical term) to start when the engine is hot. Out of interest, is the starting procedure the same in this instance too?  Thanks.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Pretty sure @C8RKH they can be problematic when hot. Buy a later fuel injected car and the issue ain’t there 😎

• Like 2

Only here once

Just now, JR said:

Hope that makes sense.

Yup. I would assume from the information provided that a hot engine would not need the help of "priming" to ignite, so if you did "prime" it would be too rich etc.

I only ask as I'd love an Esprit, one day, and you old farts may not be around by the time that happens for me to ask and get the advice :harhar:

Thanks all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

With a hot engine, slowly press the accelerator pedal down whilst cranking. Don't prime beforehand.

Pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

6 hours ago, peteyg said:

With a hot engine, slowly press the accelerator pedal down whilst cranking. Don't prime beforehand.

Pete 

Yes, SLOWLY ! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fun fact…

In the song “roadrunner” by Jonathan rich man and the modern lovers. At the start of the song the vocals count to six.

because the Plymouth roadrunner had to be primed by pressing the pedal six times before starting.

• Like 1

Wow Jonathan Richman,not mentioned much on here

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Only just seen this thread.  I too have always used the couple of pumps priming routine in a cold car - indeed as I don't use the car much these days, I usually start with a short crank just to wake it up and start moving some fluids, not trying to start.  Then 2 priming pumps and crank again to start - works for me. 

Also not priming but half throttle and a long crank works for hot engine.   Sometimes needs a pump after a few secs cranking.

However, just to add an alternative view, a while back I was lectured (well not quite - but had it explained to me) by a very well respected Lotus engineer that I shouldn't pump the throttle because the extra fuel washes down the cylinder walls stripping them of any remaining lubricant and therefore causing even more wear at the very moment of maximum wear of an engine.  Likely to lead to premature wear of the rings and their failure which in turn could score the liners.  He didn't go on to explain how to actually start the car though.

• Like 2

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I'd argue bore wash is only a problem if there is already enough fuel available for a (very) rich mixture. Which is rarely the case on a cold engine or after sitting for a while. Longer cranking would of course prevent this completely, but that doesn't seem to be very kind to the engine either. Your method of a short crank to get oil flowing and then a few pumps to actually start could be the perfect compromise.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

In operating an early Elan on DCOE's I found that while the pedal pump technique was good for cold start the starter units on the carbs were flat superior, with them the engine would fire about as soon as key turned. Presume the Dellorto's are quite the same.