Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Are Smart Phones and Social Media the biggest exponential threats to the human race? - Page 2 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Are Smart Phones and Social Media the biggest exponential threats to the human race?

C8RKH

I've seen a few AI generated eBay listing descriptions recently. They're a bit easier to spot 🙄

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Gjk said:

I find overall that that is a bit scary. When I first read the original, it appeared completely plausible to have been written by a human.

And this technology is meant to be the way forward?

This LLM model responses are much better than they were even 3 months ago. We're experiencing a genuine revolution of GenAI capabilities over these last few months, with even greater step changes to come. It's not often you find yourself in the midst of a technology revolution, but for sure we're in one now.

'The way forward'? That's subjective. Suffice to say the efficacy of these AI assistants is going to explode. Buckle up :)   

• Gold FFM
9 minutes ago, RobinB5 said:

This LLM model responses are much better than they were even 3 months ago. We're experiencing a genuine revolution of GenAI capabilities over these last few months, with even greater step changes to come. It's not often you find yourself in the midst of a technology revolution, but for sure we're in one now.

Did you type this @RobinB5 or was it AI?

All jokes aside, at some point the difference  between the two may well be lost. I’m not sure if that’ll benefit or be detrimental to society.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

• Gold FFM
6 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

I’m guessing the AI will be easy to spot because it won’t have spelling mistakes or crap grammar.

You will always know it’s me @Chillidoggy! 🤣

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

That wasn’t a dig at you Grahame, just a general observation!

No offence taken Ian, I just couldn’t resist that one. 😎

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Gjk said:

Did you type this @RobinB5 or was it AI?

All jokes aside, at some point the difference  between the two may well be lost. I’m not sure if that’ll benefit or be detrimental to society.

That was me, but you're right, in a few months you won't be able to tell.

On 18/06/2024 at 19:43, Bibs said:

The the

Fantastic band from the eighties. 

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

There is a very interesting episode in Black Mirro on Netflix which is about a social media application that has basically taken over everyone's lives.

The writer must have been like the peron that wrote The Jetsons.

Well ahead of their tie, or able to see sa future that no-one else has thought of or did not know how to express.

The people that own these social media platforms today seem to thin they are a law unto themselves. A very slippery slope.

There is a very interesting episode in Black Mirror on Netflix which is about a social media application that has basically taken over everyone's lives.

The writer must have been like the peron that wrote The Jetsons.

Well ahead of their time, or able to see a future that no-one else has thought of or did not know how to express.

The people that own these social media platforms today seem to think they are a law unto themselves.

A very slippery slope.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I was chatting to a guy from Bristol on Sunday, at Graspop, the biggest Belgian metal festival. He had had a terrible time, trouble getting there with public transport (which was recommended, because most of the parking lots were out of use due to flooding), his tent got soaked, with all his belongings inside, he bought a new one on site but that wasn't able to handle the torrential rain either.

I really felt for him, having traveled all that distance just to be there. He said he was there mainly to see the bands from the 70s, as he had never seen them perform live and you know they can't go on forever, as much as they'd like to. Bands like Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Scorpions, ...

Deep Purple was on stage. And he pulled out his phone and proceeded to play some word game. I was baffled! Granted, it was not their best performance. But to go through all that trouble, spending a fair amount of money, and then not pay attention to one of the bands that drew you to the festival in the first place??

• Confused 1
  • Shock 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Escape said:

And he pulled out his phone and proceeded to play some word game. I was baffled! Granted, it was not their best performance. But to go through all that trouble, spending a fair amount of money, and then not pay attention to one of the bands that drew you to the festival in the first place??

My wife and I got to a lot of concerts. We're off to Glasgow to see Travis supporting the Killers tonight for instance. We see this behaviour all the time at concerts. People travel large distances. Pay a lot of money for tickets. Then just well, seem not interested or disconnected, at the actual concert.

As it's Glasgow tonight, we'll get the usual number of piss heads who rock up to the concert drunk. Spend all their time at the bar getting more drunk. Fall asleep. Then leave to go in to work tomorrow totally fooked up but saying "yeah, great concert".

I notice it similar behaviours at the cinema too. Often, just as the film is about to start, someone will get up to go to the toilet, or get a drink, when they've just been sat their, in the screening room, for 20 minutes on their phones whilst the ads and trailers have been on. Arghhhhhhh.......  WTF?

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Why are these rules for just 1 week? Has the school not just got the balls to make a stand and say "we're a mobile free environment"?

Personally, I think kids should go to school. Then, once inside, the gates are locked and they stay on premise all day. Any school age child not in school and roaming the savannah, on a school day, should be swept up by PCSO's and deposited back in school. No ifs. No buts. No excuses. The model of the child catcher from Pinocchio would work great for me! Failing that. They all wear one of those electric dog "trainer" collars that are geo fenced and when out of the school they get a "buzz" to remind them to get back there pronto...

Each student to have a secure locker where phones etc are put in them at the start of the day, then got out at the end of the day, when they are leaving.

If students need to be contacted urgently, in an emergency, well, that's what the Schools Secretary Office is for.

Simple set of rules. Everyone treated the same. Happy school.

Why is this so hard to implement? (I'd personally volunteer to put the "buzz" collars on them. For free.)

• Like 2

The small print.

54 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

using one during the day

for those who have 2 phones and only hand one in?

6 hours ago, Escape said:

I was chatting to a guy from Bristol on Sunday, at Graspop, the biggest Belgian metal festival. He had had a terrible time, trouble getting there with public transport (which was recommended, because most of the parking lots were out of use due to flooding), his tent got soaked, with all his belongings inside, he bought a new one on site but that wasn't able to handle the torrential rain either.

I really felt for him, having traveled all that distance just to be there. He said he was there mainly to see the bands from the 70s, as he had never seen them perform live and you know they can't go on forever, as much as they'd like to. Bands like Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Scorpions, ...

Deep Purple was on stage. And he pulled out his phone and proceeded to play some word game. I was baffled! Granted, it was not their best performance. But to go through all that trouble, spending a fair amount of money, and then not pay attention to one of the bands that drew you to the festival in the first place??

To be fair, most of the bands from the 70’s aren’t the same band members as they had back then. Deep Purple, Judas Priest and (I think) Scorps, are in that category. So, maybe that’s why he was on his phone!

By way of another example, Dave Hill is the only member of Slade still in the band. 

Margate Exotics.

4 hours ago, Bibs said:

Have the school indicated the changes they've noticed since then or have you noticed? 

No, not heard a thing. Just asked David, and he hasn't noticed any changes. Knowing the school, I'm sure that there will have been an improvement in class.

12 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

To be fair, most of the bands from the 70’s aren’t the same band members as they had back then. Deep Purple, Judas Priest and (I think) Scorps, are in that category. So, maybe that’s why he was on his phone!

By way of another example, Dave Hill is the only member of Slade still in the band. 

Fair enough, but you know that when you buy the tickets, so hardly an excuse. I guess it's only normal that over 50+ years there are some changes.

All three still have 3 out of 5 members remaining from their 70s line-up though, which is quite an achievement. It's a shame KK Downing left Priest, for creative differences it was said. I do like his alternative band KKs Priest as well.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, Escape said:

Fair enough, but you know that when you buy the tickets, so hardly an excuse. I guess it's only normal that over 50+ years there are some changes.

All three still have 3 out of 5 members remaining from their 70s line-up though, which is quite an achievement. It's a shame KK Downing left Priest, for creative differences it was said. I do like his alternative band KKs Priest as well.

I know we’re going off topic here, but hopefully they avoid the “Who owns the band name” fight, like the Wishbone Ash boys have had.

Margate Exotics.