Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What's your speed? - Page 5 - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What's your speed?

oneshot

30 days of upload and download speeds from my http://www.samknows.com data collector.

Vodafone Super Fibre (Up to 76 down and Up to 18 up).
As you can see, fairly stable at 52 down and 16 up.

chart_1470744925.png

chart_1470744940.png

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well - have just spent another morning and start to the afternoon talking to BT and being put on hold, started at 0830 it's now 1300 and I have given up. They have now forgotten to book the engineer I was going to cancel as I was worried I would be forced to pay for (good for a communications company not). The chap we eventually spoke to stated that he would book another promising we will not be billed unless it was proven we had maliciously damaged the equipment and he would send a text to that effect - text received which contained all sorts of caveats that would allow them to bill us. Since talking to him we were put on hold as another engineer appointment was made. We gave up at this point as we had been put on hold for a further 30 minutes with no sign of anyone answering. BT really does not care about it's customers.

During this further tests were made from the master socket test point and fluctuating results from 18Mb to 27Mb (predominantly around the 20Mb region). The chap on the phone stated that something still must be wrong and we should have the engineer even when I repeatedly requested that the 'Not' booked engineer to be cancelled or at least not re-booked.

So at this point still seriously disgruntled (and wishing I had never heard of BT) no Engineer booked I think and iffy broadband still in place. Guess what tomorrow morning will bring! Anyway hopefully off to pick up my Lotus with two lovely new waste gate valves now set up and running.

• Gold FFM

18-27 a pretty fast - what are they promising??

its best if you have no extensions spurred off that master socket. And the latest bt master faceplate also helps a lot as its not got the ring generator gubbins inside for the old fashioned phones

Only here once

Promised 30 - 40 Mb/s, the problem is just that the line is not that stable. I spent the morning trying to cancel an engineer they had forgotten to book even though I had been given a time and date they would be in attendance. At the moment I am hoping that no engineer is booked and if one turns up he will be turned away. The BT master socket is relatively new, it was replaced a couple of years ago by a BT engineer when someone (not saying who :whistle:) had destroyed a junction box in a field with a tractor.

Unfortunately the master socket is in the dog room - anything left in their reach will soon be in lots of pieces spread around the floor. Will probably end up having to rewire the house phone lines. The joys of owning a house built by farmers for farmers - proper job NOT.

Guess what - BT are on the phone at the moment asking if there engineer turned up! - WTF - it now appears BT does not even know what their engineers are up to. As a note no engineer turned up in accordance with being told yesterday that they had forgotten to book one even though we had been given a time and date. Carina is giving them hell :) at the moment as I have given up. We keep telling them we have given up and are just waiting for the contract to end before moving to someone else but they don't seem to get the hint - they are now going to ring tomorrow night. Sometimes life is just too short for all this crap.

Have you considered hinting that one turned up but due to a locked door he will not be returning until things are sorted? Only then when they start going ape does it become apparent one was never booked.

Are you the only property/group of properties served if their equipment were to be accidentally damaged again?

Just questions, not suggesting you should do any such things.

Well I think BT have mastered time travel now. I have just received an email this morning saying they have booked an engineer to visit 2 days ago! If they had only travelled back to 2 weeks ago they could have solved all these problems before they started. I wish I new how they do it so I could win last weeks Euro Millions and tell myself buying an Esprit V8 restoration project really is not such a good idea (could also speak to Barry but then again his thread has been so entertaining).

As a note my email has been working fine so it's not that and was checked last night.

• 4 weeks later...

Well - things have moved on. BT have sent an engineer (without us asking) and have agreed we will not have to pay anything for his visit - good news you may think. Engineer has been here for several ours and has just left. He stated the Max we could get 19Mbps (actually getting 15Mbps now things have settled out) not the 30-40Mbps we were told. Ho hum more ranting on the phone to come, getting very bored of this.

Further update - having to reset the router each morning now as we get less than 1Mbps!

What a complete and utter disaster moving to BT has been. Really wished we had never bothered.

• 1 year later...
  • Gold FFM

You guys all beat us hands down. This is what we pay 30 odd quid a month for. We are roughly 1.5 miles from the exchange and this is the best we can get. BT, don't you just love em. NOT,

blob.png

Core you guys get crap speed, including @Bibs.

I live in the middle of nowhere in rural Perthshire. Village population 106.5 and 3 miles from the nearest exchange.  Thanks Plusnet and this was with my son upstairs on GTA online PC gaming and my wife streaming Netflix whilst the test was running.....  Yee ha...... Plusnet, just love 'em and they are part of BT too....

speedtest 11092017.png

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

You guys are lucky, here in my village in Suffolk BT will guarantee me 512kb speed with a best possible of 1.8mb. They currently, despite being given £££s by the govt to get decent broadband speeds in rural areas, have no plans to increase these speeds.

We use a local company who provide broadband via microwave masts and get 12mb download, 10mb upload for £20/nth. Not great but acceptable since it has, unlike BT,  proven very reliable over the past 2-3 years.

• Gold FFM

Rural microwave broadband..... unlimited use and it's free...... mainly as we are a microsite for others

IMG_1439.thumb.PNG.c6fa858efb1550c6540f1da610e109d5.PNG

And we are in the middle of bloody nowhere

• Thanks 1

Only here once

My Normal connection

y4mk5AlMJqBlXSWE5Jp83W1j1J46mzjyrUabAQQG

Forgot - this is the first alternative connection we try - my Mum's next door. :thumbup:

y4m-IjzfYDY0WQSmdxKsy1PO-xBu55UnpfAJ9Cfu

When both of these go down - which they do occasionally. I set my phone to be a wifi hotspot and get a reasonable speed - but sods law I can't get it to connect to the internet right now :(

• 3 years later...

Your right to request a decent broadband service: What you need to know - Ofcom

Universal Service Obligation for broadband speeds, should it assist anyone. Not an issue for me in speedy South East UK but may be useful info.

You can also get wireless solutions from companies like National Broadband.

Justin

• Thanks 1

$106USD /Month gets you 17.3 down, 3.25 up, 630ms ping on a satellite ISP in the deep North woods of the USA, no Universal Service Obligation or fibre here. 

I'm in the Suffolk countryside, some miles from the exchange but 'have fibre'...  My BT package provides phone, broadband and BTSport channels for around £75 / £80 per month, varies depending on phone use.

BT Broadband Speed.JPG

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

• 3 months later...