Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bye Scotland! - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bye Scotland!

Bibs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8972219/Alex-Salmond-Sir-Gus-ODonnell-is-right-to-recognise-possibilty-of-Scottish-independence.html

Been nice having ya!

Wales, interested?

Seriously, is this the end of the United Kingdom? Is this a good/bad thing, will it make any difference, does anyone care?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

An independant Scotland, without England to act as a focus of hatred, woud decline into clan warfare at a great rate. All the old enmities would re-emerge... Anyway, my ancestor James Douglas took a bribe of £12,325 to support the Act of Union...what a bunch we were.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I've said for several years, if they want independance then give it to them! Cut all economic ties and they are on their own....

Of course thats not what the SNP want because they know the country would go bankrupt in a few years as their GDP is waaaaayyyy below their requirements.

IMHO if they want independance there shouldn't be ANY financial input from the rest of the UK.

Nuff said.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

What are they going to do for Money?

Salmond always goes on about "Scottish Oil", the companies who drill it are international and based in London, and its running out anyway.... I do not see there being enough demand for Scottish shortbread to fill the gap.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I've done some research (as I'm bored) and heres what I can deduce. Some of this is taken directly from articles, but I have used them in Context. These figures may be a year or 2 out of date, its really hard trying to get the most up to date.

The latest figures from the annual Government Expenditure and Revenue in Scotland (GERS) report shows public spending in Scotland was £47.7bn, while total revenues are estimated at £36.4bn, equivalent to 8.1% of all UK revenues. The deficit was thus more than £11bn, or 12% of Scottish GDP.

Apparantly Nationalists have disputed the figures but according to articles I have read few fiscal experts do (Ashley Seager, Journalist)

So North sea oil and gas. The Guardian states "North Sea oil revenues amounted to £5.2bn, which would roughly halve the Scottish deficit. This year, the Treasury expects it will be double that, at £10.4bn, as oil prices and taxes on the North Sea have risen sharply. But because of arguments over which country the different oilfields are attached to, it is highly debatable how much of that revenue would go to an independent Scotland. Some critics say that even if it did manage to secure everything, it would still not be enough. "Even if all revenue from North Sea oil and gas had come to Scotland, the country would have had a 'persistent deficit'," says Professor Arthur Midwinter, an adviser to the Scottish Executive's finance committee".

There are other factors, too. Oil prices are highly erratic and already well down from last year. Moreover, North Sea oil production peaked in 1999 at around 3.5 million barrels per day, and is now down to half that and falling rapidly. So independence forged on expectations of an oil bonanza would clearly carry risks.

And lastly from what I can deduce:

If you are a member of the European Union, especially one that might want to join the euro one day, as the SNP wants to, you are required to have a maximum deficit of 3% of GDP. Currently the Scottish deficit is covered by the rest of the UK, but that would cease to be the case if Scotland became independent.

Like I said, if thats what they want thats fine by me but don't expect the "rest of UK" taxpayer to boost your economy.

Stop me and buy one!!

• Gold FFM

I've done no research, coz I'm busy and I don't really care.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Lol. I don't care but I'm bored.

Stop me and buy one!!

Salmond is an idiot. A few years ago he hitched his bandwagon to the 'Northern Arc of Prosperity' which included Iceland and the 'Celtic Tiger' which was Ireland and prattled on about how these small independent countries were a model for a devolved Scotland. Look what happened to them. He's consistently argued that North Sea oil belongs to Scotland and if Westminster hadn't nicked it Scotland would be vastly more prosperous and would have the funding to go it alone. That is complete B*****x as well. Putting aside who actually 'owns' the oil, it is UK based multi-nationals who explore and extract the stuff - Salmond would get too greedy and they would take their business elsewhere. Even if he could lay claim to it, it will be running out soon anyway.

And if it wasn't for Westminster and the UK taxpayer bailing out RBS and HBOS, the banking sector, which supports Edinburgh, Scotland would have been wiped out. He has no answer to that question. As for the Barnet formula, which ensures significantly more money is spent by Westminster in Scotland per GDP than England, without it we would be bankrupt anyway

No, the guy irritates me enormously. I've lived in Scotland for 16 years and its pretty clear it can't afford full devolution. He has even advocated joining the Euro FFS! Its interesting to see that, post banking crisis and recession, there is now a minority of voters who want to go it alone. The SNP have their work cut out to persuade the electorate that complete independence makes any sense whatsoever.

OK, rant off. Time to go enjoy some of the wonderful roads up here. It is God's own country of course.......

Edited by hedgerley

Yeah that's what interests me - Do the Scots really want rid of England that much that they would then become best mates with the ever more federal europe? I think that could be a tough sell for the SNP. In my opinion devolution is largely a vanity project for politicians - but thats from my English perspective. I suspect my view may have been very different if I was Irish, Welsh or Scottish...

• Gold FFM

Maybe they can make up the shortfall in the deficit selling bagpipes?

Nope. That won't work. Nobody but the Scottish like the bloody things. :hrhr:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

A senior British Diplomat of my acquaintance once said "Bagpipes? PAH! It's only by the merciful dispensation of God that the bloody things don't SMELL!!"

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Oi you lot... lay off the Jock bashing!

And remember..... There are only three types of people in this world. Scottish people, people who WANT to be Scottish and people with no ambition whatsoever!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gordon, it's similar to when a University friend of mine many years ago said look at those "Brave Welsh boys", when watching Zulu. I pointed out the officers were English harhar.gif

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Gordon, it's similar to when a University friend of mine many years ago said look at those "Brave Welsh boys", when watching Zulu. I pointed out the officers were English harhar.gif

Well we are all Jockanese up here in Gods country Chris with the exception of all you interlopers who have come up here to rape and pillage.... although i have to say, i have never really understood why you lot south of the border are so attracted to our sheep!wub.png

• Like 1

There are only three types of people in this world. Scottish people, people who WANT to be Scottish and people with no ambition whatsoever!

Four types actually.

The type that come from Scotland.

(or anywhere around Newcastle or north of it as they are all the same to us)

That live out their lives in the south of England, endlessly going on about how great it is where they are from.

Constantly banging on about how great Scotland or the north of England (same thing) is.

But they never move back.

They just live out their lives here, grumbling to an audience that does not care.

Make the money they would have to beg for back home.

Wear a kilt at weddings and new years.

And.

Never.

Ever.

Shut up about the place they could move to anytime, but never do.

baby.gif

Retarded hard to understand immigrants.

We should get a fleet of diggers to create some kind of wide sea/estuary, big enough to see from the moon, that separates us from these ginger haired piss poor cannibals.

smoke.gif

• 5 years later...

It is time for them to go now. There clearly is a divide with Scotland voting 63% to remain so on that point she is right. Off you go then.....

They clearly are fine with being part of a European Superstate as long as they have nothing to do with the English. 

Scotland will make a huge mistake if they decide to leave the Union. I'm happy I don't live there (but I still like them) ;)
I have a feeling they will go with yet another referendum, but people are smart enough and they will vote (AGAIN) to stay in the UK.

It will be a good reason to make referendum in England asking "Do we want Scotland in the UK?" :D Because, why not?

I would hope the Scottish people would vote to remain part of the United Kingdom,  As i would think its a case of better the devil you know than the devil you dont,   All i see nowdays on the news is that loud mouth witch, who may as well be shouting " look at me , look at me "

Would like to see her dealt with the way William Wallace dealt with the turn coat Scottish  lords in Brave heart and included the use of a large ball on the end of a chain. :whistle: 

A

Thing is, if Queen Nich gets her way, when it all goes tits up for the Scots, she'll no doubt end up languishing in a deckchair on some Caribbean island, financially protected from any fallout by a massive gold-plated pension, while the rest of them struggle.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

"the devil you know than the devil you dont" I don't agree with this statement in sooo many levels, but it has nothing to do with Scotland, though. If that's how all Scots see both Unions (as devils), then they should leave the UK straight away. Fortunately, I don't think that's the case...