Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 9 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

Loose Cannon

There is a low-brow but sometimes funny comedian here in the States who will say something like....

"My wife wanted a new Porsche and I laid down the law and told her that there was absolutely no way she was getting a Porsche...."

after a brief pause,

"So last week, I was riding with my wife in her Porsche...."

• Like 1

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

• Gold FFM

Mark, if she is like every women I know she will really want 356 Speedster and they are definitely allowed. I have yet to meet a women who doesn't think they are cool, my wife included. 

• Like 1

Now that is a real Porsche. Lovely.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

One week later...

"Honey, I'm home, too!" :welcome:

69de46ol58r7

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2016 at 14:58, Jacques said:

The Japanese tourist group replied with a standing applause every single one of them. ;) Thanks to the japanese tourists.

Japanese tourists always go ballistic when I drive my Esprit in Central London. Cameras frantically come out and snapping away. 

• Like 2

Bit of a weird one: I got a text message from a number unknown to me, telling me they've spotted a silver Esprit in their street and asking if it was me. My Esprit was parked at home the entire day and I had only been out in the Range. Quite unlikely my dad took the Esprit for a joyride, especially without telling me and parking in exactly the same spot. And there can't be that many silver Esprits on the road in Belgium. What's more, I've only got the car for 1.5 year, so it has to be someone who has met me recently AND remembered the car. The message had a very feminine tone, I really should find out who it's from. :ph34r:

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

"Papa's Got a Brand New Bag?" :devil:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 10 months later...

Got a great reaction from my female passenger yesterday. It was nice sunny day, and she had already commented that it was nice to have the roof open. A bit into the journey we encounter some traffic, which prompted the following:

"Is there something hot in there (pointing to the side of the tunnel near her footwell)? Oh no, wait, that's just me. :)"

I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that. :ph34r: Especially as I really don't want to get on the wrong side of her husband! (edit: I could have phrased that better...)

BTW, can't believe this topic lay dormant for 10 months! Is nobody driving their Esprit, or are we just not noticed anymore? So just to add one more, earlier that day I also got asked if it was a Ferrari by a volunteer selling cartoons, one of which depicted a 308-style sportscar. :)  I probably made his day by flashing the headlights as much as by buying some cartoons.

Filip

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

The thing which amuses me most about ownership is the number of people who claim they used to have one. Considering the production run of Esprit's, they have must have been changing hands very quickly for everyone to have had one for a bit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never met someone who used to have one. But I've met the same 5 Guys who still have theirs. They don't change hands often around here. Probably way too cheap, too fast and too exotic, to be of any interest to most people, who anyway only go on babbling about a "zertain zgerman zkar, which iz waitinzg to exzplode any monentz now..."

Jacques :)

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

zNooooo, now you have tzold our Little zecret to ze public. Fraulein Markrel iz preparing a new zhipment of ze modified enginez whizh iz vatercooled. Very zpezial, only 176.000 zauzend made, codenamed 99zix, 99zeven and boxzter, and of courze a zecret one ztoo.

And if it is not a zecret any more, we will have a new zecret method of polouting ze public, so zhey cannot drive ze nazty britizh lotuz carz, ezpezially ze Epritz. Witz more gazoline and diezel than advertized, also mit viel Mehr smutz.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 3 months later...

I had an almost identical experience back in 1987 - 2 weeks after I had bought my Esprit when a motorcycle cop pulled me over for "speeding" in the centre of Croydon. It was just an excuse to look over and sit in the car :)

I knew I was ok when he said "Christ it's a bit f**king tight in here isn't it" when he sat in the drivers seat after only taking his helmet off. Spent 30 minutes chatting, looking over the car and then sent me on my way.