Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Headlights / Headlamps - Page 5 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Headlights / Headlamps

Damn - any idea what went wrong?  😕

I just took the car out for a quick spin in the dark. From the outside the film makes the lenses look like there is a fine misting on them, but I am happy to report that the performance doesn’t seem to be diminished by and notable degree. And I am probably more sensitive to this than most as I remain (AFAIK) the only Evora owner who has fitted uprated HID bulbs.

33 minutes ago, mik said:

Damn - any idea what went wrong?  😕

I just took the car out for a quick spin in the dark. From the outside the film makes the lenses look like there is a fine misting on them, but I am happy to report that the performance doesn’t seem to be diminished by and notable degree. And I am probably more sensitive to this than most as I remain (AFAIK) the only Evora owner who has fitted uprated HID bulbs.

Not sure knowing me PPP ... As in P Poor Preparation and rushed it ... No rush at the mo though as the headlights are on the back seat whilst the car looks like this ... so ordered another set and score one to experience.IMG_20210228_134234.thumb.jpg.37bfb15790147af6e38ed3eec65325a1.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 15/02/2021 at 16:51, exeterjeep said:

These are good so far, fitted last week. One headlamp was peeling badly, Max500 wet/dried and fitted the film. My other light was in good condition so the film was applied with standard preparation.

I wish I had done this prior to the first lamp peeling.

I dislike PPF on cars and never fit it but I will now always use on modern headlamps as (a) they seem to peel lacquer after time (b) they are so expensive to replace.

Justin

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd revive this and see how the Aliath PPF kits are holding up for people.

I'm having the LEDs repaired and the lights relaquered by Lotus Silverstone and don't fancy paying to do that again so went looking for PPF for the headlights and found this thread.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, hamza said:

Thought I'd revive this and see how the Aliath PPF kits are holding up for people.

I'm having the LEDs repaired and the lights relaquered by Lotus Silverstone and don't fancy paying to do that again so went looking for PPF for the headlights and found this thread.

Mine are still as good as when fitted almost 18 months ago - and my car lives outside all year round... 🙂

You've reminded me to give Nick a shout regarding Emira ones, but they could be more of a challenge to fit - the Evora lights are nice and flat.....

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

• 1 year later...

Just had my MOT advisory on headlights saying the uV deterioration is getting to be borderline !

so I have contact a local headlight restorer he wet sands lacquers etc in 3 hours for less than £130 

I understand lotus dealers do a service for £300 need car for 4 days 

wondering what’s the difference in the processes to differ the £150 between the non lotus and lotus ?  

From what I understand there is a lacquer sprayed on top of the the plastic headlights to protect the plastic from UV damage and stop them fogging up or going yellow.  The lacquer has a finite lifetime and its self also deteriorates with time and needs redoing.

I would have thought the £150 service is just polishing the headlights with an abrasive compound to remove the lacquer and give a consistent and shiny surface again to the headlight.  But now it may end up with a very thin layer of lacquer giving less protection to the plastic or all the lacquer is removed giving zero UV protection.

The full service for £300 and covering multiple days I would hope would include the above but also a respray with new lacquer to give a fresh new protective layer.

A few folks here have used PPF film over the headlights to protect it from UV which might come in cheaper than a full respray.  Polish the headlights to bring them up to a clean consistent shine and then apply the PPF over the top.

• Like 2

Cheers Jai

this local guy says he re lacquers the unit and he provides a 2 year guarantee !

I guess the process need to be reapplied especially as my car sit outside and in summer is baked as it south facing ?  

reading the difference it doesn’t seem to be major ? Other than price ? I need to get new rear discs and pads again due to corrosion effects and also my jet washers not working so need to be mindful of costs ? 

Yep the taking out will be time consuming but my question is what major benefits in the final finish is involved ? I assume you get a better finish as leaving in situ means more masking and possible not getting to edges ? I don’t know my expertise is at limits ? 
I guess I can only get what I pay for ? 

Yep, won't be able to get to the edges and round the edge to the side slightly which you will if they are removed.

Also less risk of overspray of lacquer onto the rest of the car and the lamps can be properly baked to cure the lacquer which again I imagine your guy won't be doing.

Had a punt with this local guy to refurbish my headlights bless him took nearly 7 hours , he coated some ceramic stuff which cured overnight and carried 2 year guarantee.

results picture before and after , around £150 less than dealers so I guess takes your money takes your choice ? 

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0208.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice job. Just had an attempt at mine. Polished out pretty good. Applied a ppf clear film. Looks rubbish now with air bubbles under. It is the first time I have followed instructions and applied the film wet. Instructions say the minor air bubbles will take a couple of days to dry out so I will wait and see. I don’t understand how a wet surface can dry out through a clear plastic film. I’ll probably remove the film if it isn’t clear by Tuesday and then apply a new film dry.

The guy tells me ceramic coating he applied doesn’t need PPF he had a bitch of job removing my old PPF to  get to main acrylic surface ? 
I was reading Gtechniq do a glass kit inc a ceramic coating for less than £50 I might try this in future ? I have some amazon ceramic stuff never used it might consider using this ? 

I was going to clearcoat mine but my spray can is half empty and over a year old. I may even have another go with a clearcoat from a new can.  I have a spare set of headlights, so I might polish them and clearcoat finish before replacing them on the car ready for sale. 

I think the ceramic coating might wear off though? I don't think it is a permanent finish.

A few on here including me have applied PPF to the lights after having them polished as that is advertised as having a UV protection factor. Then once a year I over coat that with a ceramic UV protector....