Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 208 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

The one good thing is all the sealants worked perfectly. I used wellseal, loctite and only silicon on the cam cover. No sealant residue in the sump.

The worst thing is I now  have to throw away the brand new oil cooler and all the new pipes! 

23 hours ago, CHANGES said:

That boat has sailed Fabian...  You did a Stirling job cleaning all the media out.. So many other people use the Aqua blasting and other media blasting as a restoration tool without issue , including me ..   I don't think you should focus on that as a cause anymore ....  Yes there are scare stories on the social media sites from people who say it is wrong to use that process, but what you have to ask yourself is..   Who are they  . Is there any proof that what they say is true.   Or are they just making it up to look important and all knowing... Or did they use the process and not bother cleaning out after as you did and everyone else who uses the process does..   There is positive  proof that the process can be used without issue ...  Here on this forum , others and Me ..  Who do you believe the most ?    Best to concentrate on what you know and forget the Aqua blasting scare stories, this is a false trail.    

Dave please could you give me your opinion on the Burn in the head. Its tuned to optimum combustion at idle. Pump jets were way off, Looks rich my concern is Oily deposits. . No evidence of anything getting past the rings. Could it be from oil seepage on the exhaust valve guides ? They all measured in spec. I am considering a total replacement oIMG_0752.thumb.JPG.8ff1be5b92831807dbfcc40019d3b59b.JPGf all valves and guides. I would have hope it would burn better. Thanks.

Pending opinion from Dave....

Do the HC/CO figures confirm that combusion was 'good' at idle?  (any uncalibrated tweaking of the mixture screws has a fairly significant impact on these)

Did you use new rings in old liners?   (they can take a some time to bed in)

Wont be exhaust guides, as they are  'post' combustion and operate in a pressurised environment. 

Was there any oil consumption?

If all valves/guides within spec, presumably the issue (if it is an issue) lies elsewhere.   If the engine had not failed, you would never have seen inside the combustion chamber and you have not done many miles.  It's entirely possible its all just still bedding in.  On the plus side, all chambers seem pretty consistent.  

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1

The rings are all new. Liners and pistons pretty good. All valves in spec. No oil consumption that I noted. You might be correct more time to bed in. Just odd I didnt expect  to see this. Its quite interesting to take apart an engine you have just built you can evaluate all if it. 

Sounds like a great plan Fabian and after you will have an epic engine which should last you out. You are very resilient and remained positive throughout.

The dent in the wallet will seem insignificant when your turbo is hitting three figures on roads permitting.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

1 minute ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Sounds like a great plan Fabian and after you will have an epic engine which should last you out. You are very resilient and remained positive throughout.

The dent in the wallet will seem insignificant when your turbo is hitting three figures on roads permitting.

I like your avatar picture! Just waiting for new pump jet springs to arrive then I will get the carbs done and get the test rig back to you. Thanks! 

Absolutely no rush Fabian, anyone else who wants to borrow it to set their carbs just let me know.

The Evora is lovely but think another Esprit will be joining it in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

They seem to put these cars on sale quite often, with no price. I dont think they are really selling them, its just a publicity stunt, although I suppose if you offered them $500k they would not refuse!

• Like 1

I think they are trying to sell them @Andyww as the adverts appear in all the right places. Not reallysure why, but I suppose all museums change their exhibits. With more popular newer film cars to bring in the crowds these may be deemed past their sell by date for them.

Prime opportunity for the Lotus Cars museum to purchase them en masse if you ask me.

The 'Wet Nellie' exhibit is badly detailed. Lots of wrong things on it. Its restoration was documented on TV. I think they needed a better researcher.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fridge said:

I think they are trying to sell them @Andyww as the adverts appear in all the right places.

No different to last time. At that time someone on the forum phoned them to ask the price, cant remember who, but might have been @Lotusfab and was told they were not for sale.  But if indeed genuine this time then then Lotus should definitely buy them given their new-found interest in showin their heritage but having sold off all the potential cars to display.

5 minutes ago, RichardJGC said:

It it likely to be this one, sold by Norfolk Motor Company?

D47D09D1-CC95-4236-9B9D-E46EC7195962.jpeg

it would appear so! How on earth did you lay your hands on that so quickly!

Of course we now now that this car did not appear in the film - but that would be a can of worms - that has been discussed at length :)

2 hours ago, Buddsy said:

Did this get answered? Where you using non synthetic to run in?

buddsy

Hi  Buddsy,

I was using Comma 20/50 classic car oil ( mineral based) for the run in of 500 miles.

• Like 2

Yes that was the car in the ad I believe. The Keswick museum owned it and then it was eventually sold to Dezer. The one with nose badge and decal in the wrong place. Here it is leaving Keswick. Also wrong side decal. Promo car not in movie.

Not sure if the Norfolk Motor Co ad was before or after Keswick, they could have been selling the car for the Keswick museum when it closed.

IMG_4303.JPG.4270b84f46b0b59a7d246eee850c79a2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Hi  Buddsy,

I was using Comma 20/50 classic car oil ( mineral based) for the run in of 500 miles.

Fabian - Gerald recommended that I run in both the engines he has rebuilt for my cars (one 910 one 912) for 10k miles on semi-synthetic (Castrol Magnatec) to avoid ending up with a "slow" engine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On my engine I fitted a neodymium magnet in the sump plug, and slapped one on the side of the oil filter to catch ferrous particles. On vehicles with a steel oil pan it's easy to slap a magnet on the bottom or side. At least you can see the fuzz with oil changes and get a sense of abnormal wear.

I don't know the temperatures seen in oil would affect a magnet attached under the baffle in the Lotus sump? 

If you’re struggling with motivation @Lotusfab after the challenges you’ve had with the engine - take half an hour out to watch this. It’s fantastic and will help to make you realise (if needed) just how lucky you are to own the 2 Esprit’s you have. Enjoy👍

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

If you’re struggling with motivation @Lotusfab after the challenges you’ve had with the engine - take half an hour out to watch this. It’s fantastic and will help to make you realise (if needed) just how lucky you are to own the 2 Esprit’s you have. Enjoy👍

Excellent!

• Like 1