Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Red Turbo Esprit recommission project - Page 21 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Red Turbo Esprit recommission project

8 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

Be impressed if you get get cam cover gaskets completely leak free, dry, especially as they are only bolted down with 3 screws.   I use a small  bead  (1-2mm)) of silicone , applied very evenly with a gun, both sides of the gasket.

Yes always found that approach the best.

There are gasket manufacturers these days which can supply gaskets with a very small silicone bead pre-applied by machine. Wish someone like SJ would get on board with one of them to supply these for the cam covers.

10 hours ago, top-plumber said:

FD16FFF3-BE21-49E7-84BA-9F75B450439B.jpeg

I'm surprised at the misalignment of the turbo outlet & plenum intake??? 

Cheers,

John W

16 minutes ago, Sparky said:

One I did some time back...

DSCF8807.JPG

:shock:

Edited by jonwat

Cheers,

John W

4 hours ago, Andyww said:

Yes always found that approach the best.

There are gasket manufacturers these days which can supply gaskets with a very small silicone bead pre-applied by machine. Wish someone like SJ would get on board with one of them to supply these for the cam covers.

I'll probably Wellseal the inlet gasket since I already did that on the exhaust. Hopefully it'll be OK but at least it's easy enough to replace if it leaks.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

9 hours ago, jonwat said:

I'm surprised at the misalignment of the turbo outlet & plenum intake??? 

The turbo is only sitting in place ATM. When bolted up it is pretty good. ✌️

• Like 1

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Wayne, what sealant do you use for the cam carriers? Book says Loctite 504, but I believe this is very old. Face fit sealer is supplied by S and J. I think there must be something better? 

6 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Wayne, what sealant do you use for the cam carriers? Book says Loctite 504, but I believe this is very old. Face fit sealer is supplied by S and J. I think there must be something better? 

A136 from PNM. Used it maybe 4 times now, never a problem. 

• Like 1

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Good to know the VW rear calipers bolt up to an early carWill you have to unbolt them to bleed them? It looks like the nipple ends up towards the bottom.

• Like 1

The Calipers are handed L & R however that obviously depends where you look at them. Maybe I will try to swap them over. Good point chaps... 

• Gold FFM

I've had many cars with jubilee clips on the driveshafts without issue, but it may be worth opposing the 4 fasteners @90 degrees to each other for the sake of balance.

Just out of curiosity; ISO recommends a balancing value of G40 for drive shafts. With an estimated 20 grams unbalanced weight sitting at approx 40mm distance to the rotational centre and a mass of 2kgs for the rotor assembly, it would limit rpm to about 1000 (95 kmh), so at least theoretically this could be felt. I assume most of you go a little faster than that. So it might be worth considering basic balance (distributing the clip heads around evenly as Steve recommends)  to prolong the lifespan of the joints. 

http://www.irdbalancing.com/assets/balance_quality_requirements_of_rigid_rotors.pdf

C4F0E646-D22F-4A25-BA62-C3D0A4447DA3.jpeg

Another option is to reduce the unbalance weight itself. Straps instead of clips

F57B722F-2D16-4969-AAAB-5FF090A40B9C.jpeg

Ad initium

I’m probably not gonna sweat it on that one fellas...👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wayne,

you may have seen on my resto blog I'm rebuilding the engine. I don't have the crank seal tools. Just wondering if you have any suggestions on how to put the seals back on? Thanks. Fabian.

10 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Hi Wayne,

you may have seen on my resto blog I'm rebuilding the engine. I don't have the crank seal tools. Just wondering if you have any suggestions on how to put the seals back on? Thanks. Fabian.

Hey Fabian, 

not very scientific but I put the casting on a surface plate or something very flat and stable and then use a couple or blocks of wood to tap into place. Oil the mating surfaces of course. but with out a large fly press I couldn’t find another way. 

Other  than that find a workshop that can help I suppose. 

Hope that helps a little. 

• Like 1