Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 147 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Don’t read too much into thatZ I’ve worked at several companies that over staff initially only to reduce headcount after production settles down.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 hours ago, Frickin_idiot said:

Don’t read too much into that.

I would. And d. That's a large percentage of the total workforce.

Surely they're still in the process of ramping up production?

They need more folks to deal with customer services / communications etc.

• Like 2

I fully agree.

Killing the 3 successful models WAY ahead of Emira delivery made ZERO sense to me back then, and even less so now.

Disastemira for sure!

I had a message from a previous contact...
"glad to leave the toxic madness"
"did everything I could to ensure Lotus attended Goodwood FoS as senior execs wanted to cancel"

etc etc

• Love 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

just a question,

how important is Lotus Hethel forGeely,

is it only branding and a bit of engineering??

13 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Oh I know that "The new SUV" is coming out but it's always going to be a low volume model at the price it is. It's not going to do anything than be icing on the cake. I'm sorry but getting rid of the Elise & Exige as stepping stones to the Emira just didn't make any sense.

I thought that the Eletra was supposed to be the cash cow.

I know its expensive but so are Range Rovers and those seem to sell by the bucket load and Porsche sell far more Macan's and Cayennes than they do Caymans or 911s.

If the Eletra doesn't do for Lotus what the Cayenne did for Porsche then Lotus is going to be in real trouble. A fading motorsport heritage, a single sports car and a lineup of electric SUVs and saloons?

Maybe if the brand was strong enough that would be enough to sell a load of EVs to the Asian market?

8 minutes ago, hamza said:

I know its expensive but so are Range Rovers and those seem to sell by the bucket load and Porsche sell far more Macan's and Cayennes than they do Caymans or 911s.

But Range Rover have Engines whether ICE, Hybrid or PHEV. Lotus only went with the EV which is a limited market at this time.

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

2 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

But Range Rover have Engines whether ICE, Hybrid or PHEV. Lotus only went with the EV which is a limited market at this time.

Good point.

Tesla sell a fair few Model X and Ys also though. 

Model X £74,000, Model Y from £44,000

You could have 3 model Y for one Lotus EV.

I'm not saying its not a good car, it's just not a cash cow that people think, I suspect.

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

They've commited that it will always be used for Sports Car production and the proof of that pudding is the £100m investment there over the last couple of years. 

It's a Geely company, Lotus is just one of their brands over there and Geely do know what they're doing. They've spent $1bn on the factory in Wuhan just to build Lotus 'Lifestyle' cars and they wouldn't have done that without a solid plan of course.

Losing 141 million a year makes the 100 million investment peanuts.

Positive cash flow is required to sustain the plant.

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Well, 2. The Eletre starts at £89.5k. 

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/eletre

Just for shits and giggles... I spec'd up an Electre to £160k OTR :D

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

It's a Geely company, Lotus is just one of their brands over there and Geely do know what they're doing. They've spent $1bn on the factory in Wuhan just to build Lotus 'Lifestyle' cars and they wouldn't have done that without a solid plan of course.

Not sure they do know what they are doing. They have been following every other large Chinese company heading into the forthcoming abyss which is the evaporation of the Chinese market. Most of the unfolding disaster in the Chinese economy is masked by false reporting.

The EV market in the rest of Asia is also disappearing, after an initial flourish. There has been huge publicity about buyers who feel ripped off as they were sold an EV on the basis it would be cheap to run but they are actually far more expensive to run in many Asian countries which have their own oil supply, hence cheap oil, and dont have any government incentives for EV.

The Japanese on the other hand, DO know what they are doing in Asia and they have in the main announced they are continuing ICE production in full, for the Asia market. 

• Like 1

They could save a bit and close the London 'Brand' presence. About as viable as the last one!

• Like 1

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2023 at 10:26, Kimbers said:

Living round the corner I think I heard it's engineering staff and those taken on to ramp up production and it's support network who, now it's all set up and running, are now surplus to requirements. However 200 is a large number and it's bound to have an effect on morale when everything seemed to be going so swimmingly.

And they can make way for a new appointment.....

https://www.am-online.com/news/people-news/2023/08/02/lotus-appoints-conor-horne-as-uk-and-ireland-commercial-director

Lotus has appointed Conor Horne as commercial director of UK and Ireland....

Prior to joining Lotus, Conor was at Volvo, where he was responsible for launching and growing the organisation’s direct-to-consumer sales offering, as well managing Volvo’s recent move to agency sales in the UK.

• Like 1

Assume Conor has good client communication skills and is able to communicate this to the Lotus leadership team. Maybe customers will be given progress updates for their new cars without having to bug the hell out of customer service team

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

UK Lotus registrations from SMMT for July,  101.

this year so far, that's a total of  768.

• Like 1