Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 161 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

We're going full circle, I never brought up the GT4 as the answer to the car @mdavies desired, and the GT4 is not road legal as far as I am aware. So anything else is just tittle tattle. 

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
9 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Funny how they have been able to get the ultra high performance electric bread vans out first, which makes your point re the "higher performance ones initially" rather moot.

😂😂😂Great description Andy. Sad but true.

If you want something that matches/exceeds “Chapmanesque principles” you’d have to consider the Alpine A110 R. Although sadly it’s Megane Trophy derived 4 pot engine just doesn’t have enough puff to make it the complete performance package.

• Like 1

Full article behind a paywall but gives some info.

By my calc approx 4,400 Electres and 2,600 Emiras.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-finance/lotus-posts-£594m-loss-2023-ahead-ev-sales-growth

and 

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/lotus-breaks-sales-record-posts-594m-loss/48391

and the investor Relations release with full breakdown of car sales

https://ir.group-lotus.com/news-releases/news-release-details/lotus-technology-reports-unaudited-fourth-quarter-and-full-year

Edited by webfoot
Added other links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Came across this list of lotus dealers in 1970 on fleabay (that someone snapped up before I bid)

As far as I can make out not one of them still are. Mind you that could probably be said of ford or vauxhall dealers from 1970.

lotus dealers 1970.jpg

• Like 1

Lotus UK registrations for March was 185 making ytd 272.

15 hours ago, NG5 said:

Came across this list of lotus dealers in 1970 on fleabay

recognise a few names on there

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

Those 2023 Full year results make interesting reading.

I wish I understood it all! 

As far as I can see, that's for Lotus Tech Inc which is the NASDAQ listed company. Lotus are now quite convoluted, with Group Lotus, Lotus Cars, Lotus Tech Innovate etc so I wonder how representative those figures are of the company as a whole.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Year on year cash is down 300k, and that could be accounted for by a near 300k increase in inventory that is in the sales pipeline but not yet sold - so stock cars and build components.

Impressive sales growth, but we still need to see how long term the sales growth as the EV headwinds right now are really strong across key markets in the UK, US and Europe.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I've looked through this topic for the first mention of the direct sales model. Just to add a comment that it's perhaps not the future :thumbup:

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

The small print.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2024 at 12:20, exeterjeep said:

Been in to Lotus Exeter this morning and a notice says it's closing  next week. They are still doing test drives etc.

Went in today, the last man standing at Lotus Exeter leaves this Friday. Showroom now empty, a couple of cars still in workshop. But notice on door gives details of where to go/who to contact in case of test drives/servicing etc. 

Not a great future for Lotus owners/prospective ones in the SW, particularly with some interesting new models due.

On 20/03/2024 at 08:26, CocoPops said:

Lotus Berkshire appears on google maps as being next door to "Jardine Select" in Bracknell...

Jardine Motors is a multi brand multi national dealer... so has deep pockets.

I can confirm, having visited yesterday...

They are indeed using part of the Jardine Select Showroom to house "Lotus Berkshire".
They are still setting up, no branding or Lotus Totem yet.
4 Emira (inc 2 i4) and 2 Eletre.

Servicing will be done in the adjacent McLaren service centre.

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Reading that press release I worry about the long term future of Hethel, the signs are there that Hethel will just become a manufacturing only location which, if we're honest, leaves open the future possibility to consolidate all manufacturing in China.

Yes, there has been a significant investment in Hethel but that woukd be largely recouped if the site was sold off for housing etc.

• Shock 1

The small print.

If Geely hadn't bought Lotus, the company may have gone and Hethel would have been sold anyway - agree that its a concern, but at least its had a stay of execution to prove itself.

I would say the Lotus ethos isn't a sustainable model anymore, otherwise they wouldn't be making the sort of cars the hardcore fanbase don't like.  Its a weird situation, the Chinese side of things has to exist for the "Lotus" side of things to survive at all.

It's not that the Lotus ethos is not sustainable, after all Caterham still survives. Ginetta is still going. The MX5 continues to sell etc.

Lotus, for whatever reason, was not content with being a small volume car manufacturer pandering to a niche. You had the Bah Bah sheep mentality that seemed to think that Lotus should b e up their with Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin et al. The brand, unlike some of the products, has just never had that cachet. 

Oodles and oodles of cash have been wasted chasing that "dream" whilst arguably, at the same time, moving the products away from the hard core fan base.

We now have a situation where Lotus is basically a Chinese owned and run company. There is little real difference, at the very top, to how Lotus and MG are now run by the Chinese and increasingly dominated by the needs, desires and direction of that home market. 

MG did not have the manufacturing base to contend with in the UK, so they are more overt in terms of their Chinese ownership, but their products are largely well made, do OK in the reviews, and are selling like hot cakes to the masses making their Chinese owners some good money and reinforcing the value of the brand etc - revenues up by 122% and profits up from £4.3m to £54m in the past year). Whilst Lotus has moved to the upper "premium" market, MG has focused on cars consumers can afford to buy in large numbers.

Lotus on the other hand, has continued its ever stretching move to the upper premium sector, with new products, for new consumers in a new market, and like MG, the manufacturing legacy (and the customers attracted by it) in the UK is less and less important to the market they are chasing.

I am totally aware that Lotus as a company has a perfect right to change, adapt, and move on. However, let us not for one minute pretend that the Lotus we see now, and in the future, has much to do with the legacy of Chapman, Hethel, Kimberely etc. Yes they will "use" the legacy for marketing, but that is increasingly all I believe it is, just marketing.

Lotus is dead. Long live Lotus.

• Like 1

The small print.

Yes why not we need bad news, especially when it’s twice 

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430