Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit fuel economy - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit fuel economy

march

I got back from the Lotus weekend and did a few 'back of a fag packet' calculations as I was surprised I got form Hethel to Kent to Devon on one fill of petrol. The fuel economy for the V8 turned out to be between 32 and 35 mpg which I thought was amazing considering I was doing at least 80mph once on the A303. Has anyone else bothered to work out the mpg on their car?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Never checked, but 30+mpg sounds great. I accept that you are checking out of interest of course, and this is not a criticism of you.....

I was once asked the fuel economy of an Audi ur quattro i was selling. I suggested that if this was an important consideration, it was probably the wrong car to buy. (between 15-25mpg was the answer)

That sounds about right Marc. The quoted figures for the V8 are 14.12 urban and 30.34 extra urban (21.24 combined). I think I got a figure around 32mpg on my jaunt around France a couple of years back.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

When running in my Esprit I hit 38mpg on one run up to my parents in Norfolk.

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

That’s nothing - I was chatting to @Steve V8 the weekend - he’s managed to make a tank of fuel last a whole year

This I can confirm, also that Esprit fuel had a nutty nose and a peachy aftertaste, and the third fuel tank (often referred to as the crossover pipe) has more fuel in it than the other two put together. 🍷

• Haha 2

I've been keeping a record of mileage done and liters fuel for about a year now, which equates to about 12k miles. Best I've seen was 35mpg, average is 25.5mpg. I find there is often a difference of a few liters depending on which station and which pump I use to fill up. Some of them are on a slope, so I can't get the tanks completely full. It does average out of course, and I'm quite happy with 25-26 in a supercar used as a daily driver (read, lots of traffic and equal amounts of enthusiasm when the road clears).

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Sussex to Fife last year without filling up, I managed 38mpg.

Its usualy anywhere between 25-35mpg

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Same here, the Esprit is considerably more economical than the Range Rover V8. That's down to about 14mpg at the moment. But it does make light work of the 3.5 ton trailer, the Esprit might struggle with that... 🙂 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Esprits are extremely economical. I've gotten quite good miles from mine when driving on the highway. Best I've done with my current daily (on highway) is 14 mpg....it's baffling how thirsty it is. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8