Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cool idea or absolute insanity? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cool idea or absolute insanity?

I posted this in my project thread but thought I'd make it a new thread on here to gauge some wider thoughts.

So, in August my Lotus Eclat turns 40 years old, and I'm trying to think what to do to celebrate the occasion that's not just a drive into the Pennines or the Peak District and a change of oil! Something like the James Bond Swiss Run (https://www.fireballrally.co.uk/james-bond-challenge-2019/) came up in my Facebook feed, and I'd love to do something like that, but 1,800 miles in 4 days (providing the Eclat made it to the south coast of England!). The car's made it to Hethel and back with the gearstick only coming off in my hand once but this would be a completely different proposition.

I'd have European breakdown cover of course, but is this idea complete madness? Also, if I did consider it, what spares would I want to take in addition to as many tools as I can get in the boot?

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Gaffer tape, baler twine, a huge bundle of euros and a very good dictionary?

We got our thermocoupled fan replaced on our 25y.o. transit camper in the pyrenees on a Friday afternoon by finding the right man... and crossing his palm with  silver. ☺

A 15mm left hand thread!

Thanks for the thoughts. To be fair, my Evo in Japan was upgraded and tuned up to a shade under 600bhp and was held together with rust, zipties and Duck Tape (note, not duct tape. See below!).

The waterless coolant is an interesting idea (think I first saw it on Wheeler Dealers back in the day), although I've not spoken to many people who've done it themselves. Sounds like you're enjoying it though, @rjwooll. Looks to be around £120+ for 8l of coolant and prep fluid.

yrm3i6h41h4asogx4w54.jpg.83506d20f0f65f933c19266e52200f8d.jpg

Edited by soldave
  • Haha 1

That looks like a fab trip.

I took my Eclat on a 2,200 mile European trip in October 2017 (to mark my 50th). It was a 8 day event with a track day in Spa and a Ring evening mixed into all the mountain passes that Switzerland and Austria had to offer.

I took minimal spares, brake pads, driveshaft, duck tape and an odd assortment of suspension bolts and a basic toolkit. After that I had AA 5 star insurance.

However, I did do a full nut, bolt, bearing and UJ check from bumper to bumper. This took a full week to complete and I was confident that all was in as good a shape as it left the factory.

I guess what I am saying is that preparation is the key to any sort of trip with an old Lotus. The better you prepare, the less you need to carry or worry about and AA will carry you home if the worst happens.

• Like 2

As above, proper preparation and you shouldn't have any trouble. After all, 1800 miles isn't that much for a car in reasonably good shape.

The fireball rally looks very interesting. Gonna discuss with the missus and seriously considering just doing it! If we do, wold be great to team up. Maybe some more interest can be found on TLF. 😉

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

OMG - this looks amazing.

Currently working out who I could take with me (wife usually has a 4 day break away from me so I wouldnt feel too bad!!) What a great way of getting some mileage at last! Your Eclat has plenty of space though. Dont know that my Esprit would have space for 2 peoples stuff plus camping gear - anyone done it?

Before I actually looked at the link, I thought the best thing to take with you would be a box for the bits that fell off!! But with enough prep and checking, why not? Your car has lasted this long after all!

Waterless cooling - dont you have to flush your current system lots? Does your £120+ include that?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I'm not too found of the whole camping idea... We've done a few roadtrips up to 10 days with the Esprit, no problem storing everything. But with camping gear, it becomes a different story. And the missus prefers some comfort as well. 🤔

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 23:04, black eclat said:

I took my Eclat on a 2,200 mile European trip in October 2017 (to mark my 50th). It was a 8 day event with a track day in Spa and a Ring evening mixed into all the mountain passes that Switzerland and Austria had to offer

I did a similar trip for my 50th but shockingly not in a Lotus. A 1973 Jaguar XJ6. 3,338 miles in 18 days to Napoli and back. It did not miss a beat, including 120mph+ on the autobahns. 

All you can do is prepare the car well; and watch your gauges like a hawk.

Do it, I say. Whatever events befall you, it will be something to look back on with great fondness. 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2019 at 23:04, black eclat said:

I took minimal spares, brake pads, driveshaft, duck tape and an odd assortment of suspension bolts and a basic toolkit.

Love this Michael!

has to be an elite/eclat thing!

🤣🤣🤣

(I did similar going to Hethel for the 70)

OK.

Thanks to Dave (soldave) and a bottle of wine, have now committed and paid deposit.

If this works out, what a great trip and opportunity that my son will hopefully not forget.

However, it is sort of dependent on him getting his A level grades......

Anyone else going - please PM me to share worries!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, slewthy said:

OK.

Thanks to Dave (soldave) and a bottle of wine, have now committed and paid deposit.

If this works out, what a great trip and opportunity that my son will hopefully not forget.

However, it is sort of dependent on him getting his A level grades......

Anyone else going - please PM me to share worries!!

Top work, that man! I'm asking around my friends for someone to be a co-driver/navigator and who can turn a wrench. If I can find one then I'll pay a deposit. Will let you know if I do :)

If I come along I'll make sure I have the Esprit factory manual downloaded on my tablet as well as the Eclat! Not that I'm expecting trouble, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by soldave

Great!

This is the kind of insanity I like.

Next, ferry or chunnel tickets? - note I am completely ignoring the effects of Brexit as by September, we will either be fine, or at war.

Who has taken their Esprit on the ferry or channel tunnel before - issues? Best way?

Have ordered Duck tape, X-treme tape, Fire extinguisher and Self sealing trousers.

Simon, I regularly bring my Esprit back to UK for a trip. Usually prefer the ferry, but the train works as well. The Esprit isn't that low so you needn't worry about the ramps. Most of the time the crew will avoid putting you on the second level in the train.

Still in doubt to join or not... I must be getting old, wanting a nice B&B every night. 😕

Filip

• Haha 1

A few years ago one member took his S2 Esprit for a tour down to Italy without any major problems.  Prepare well and you'll be fine. 🤞

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I'm sure this is true.

The only time my S3 has let me down is when it didnt start - no battery, poor earth to battery. All at home fortunately.

8 months, a project in reliability

• Like 1