Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anyone still running PZero's? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone still running PZero's?

Currently running P0's all around - my rears are totally shot, so need replacing. The front's are only about 50% worn, but are 5 years old.

I'm tempted to replace the rears only with another set of P Zero's to get another 'round' out of the fronts, but everyone seems to be jumping toward the PS4's (can't get the PS4S's in the correct fronts on the 18/19's). Why are people jumping to the PS4's? Just because of wear?

They're simply an all round better tyre than the PZeros, in the wet or dry. Tyre technology moves on as with anything, the PZero is an old tyre. If the PS4's wear better, that's simply a bonus.

• Like 1

It is possible to order the P4S for the front, from the USA. I have been contemplating the premium because they are meant to be much better.

I wonder if the compound might be slightly different in the USA?

Swapped to the Michelin a few weeks back, so far I'm really impressed - unexpectedly less tyre noise as well - so another bonus!  Its a shame they don't do the P4S in the 18" size in UK, I would have preferred them, but not being a driving god, I don't suppose I'll miss the difference; especially as I don't track mine.

Mudge just switched from PZero to PS4 on his Exige Matt, and reports positively.

Edited by mik
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

I'm still running P Zeros 18"/19" that I got from Tyre Leader in 2015. The PZero 225/40 ZR18 92Y M0 on their website is £88.48 at the moment, but I found a PS4 in the same size at £89.29.

Capture.JPG

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Currently running P0's all around - my rears are totally shot, so need replacing. The front's are only about 50% worn, but are 5 years old.

I'm tempted to replace the rears only with another set of P Zero's to get another 'round' out of the fronts, but everyone seems to be jumping toward the PS4's (can't get the PS4S's in the correct fronts on the 18/19's). Why are people jumping to the PS4's? Just because of wear?

I assume it’s best to change all 4 tyres to single brand ? My P zeros in the front will be due in the next couple of months but the rears have more tread life so maybe another 5-6 months ?

looking at reviews on u tube the PS4S’s  are better but as I run 18/19’s I will have to get PS4’s as I am never going onto track I am only need road qualities 

• Gold FFM

Ooooo! I gather that the PS4S is a different tyre compared to the PS4 (hadn't realised 😳).

Looking at a full set of PS4 tyres we are talking about £440 plus fitting; the PZeros are about £50 cheaper. No brainer to me -  if I was going to change my tyres it's the PS4 for my 18/19 wheels as it's a newer tyre design compared to the PZero.

12 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

I assume it’s best to change all 4 tyres to single brand ? My P zeros in the front will be due in the next couple of months but the rears have more tread life so maybe another 5-6 months ?

When I got my Evora I had PZeros on the front and Bridgestones on the back. Fortunately, even though the fronts had plenty of tread left they were beginning to crack between the treads block (especially being about 6 year old rubber), so I could justify replacing them as well as the rears, and satisfy one of my OCDs in having the same brand of tyre front and back! 😄

I guess there won't be a problem changing the fronts to PS4 tyres first, and then doing the rears later on in a few month if you are just driving the Evora on the road, but maybe someone else out there has some pearls of wisdom on this.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

Yes that is perfectly fine.  As long as you change in pairs it doesn't make much difference for road cars.  Do the fronts then the rears when they are due another time.

PS4 is a better tyre than the P zero.  PS4S is a more sportier/firmer version of the PS4 but not much in it unless you are tracking but if you are tracking then you would want the cup tyres anyway.

Edited by Registered

Yes, the PS4S are a slightly more track/summer based tyre over the PS4. Softer too, I think? It's only an option for those with 19/20, unless you feel like importing from the states, it seems ;)

TBH I don't think mixing front/rear with different premium brands is a problem - although ultimately you'll want to stick to the same brand ideally. For me, it's only £150 more to swap the fronts, which are 5 years old, so I think I'd just bite the bullet.

Just FYI - you can get a full set of PS4's fitted (18/19) fully fitted for £490 from BlackCircles at the moment, including the £40 saving when buying 4 Michelin. There's also 1.5% back via Quidco, although this may not track along with the £40 off code.

For delivery only, cheapest is Camskill - £88 per front, £137 per rear, so £450 all in.

Cheapest for PZero's is Tyreleader, rears are £125 + Delivery.

I recently did 2,000 ks and of that 1.5 hours was on track with PS4S. I measured the before and after tread wear result .7mm wear all round.

Sorry I cannot compare it to the PZero as the dealer fitted the PS4S's when I bought the car.

Edited by au-yt

8 hours ago, MattyB said:

Yes, the PS4S are a slightly more track/summer based tyre over the PS4. Softer too, I think? It's only an option for those with 19/20, unless you feel like importing from the states, it seems ;)

TBH I don't think mixing front/rear with different premium brands is a problem - although ultimately you'll want to stick to the same brand ideally. For me, it's only £150 more to swap the fronts, which are 5 years old, so I think I'd just bite the bullet.

Just FYI - you can get a full set of PS4's fitted (18/19) fully fitted for £490 from BlackCircles at the moment, including the £40 saving when buying 4 Michelin. There's also 1.5% back via Quidco, although this may not track along with the £40 off code.

For delivery only, cheapest is Camskill - £88 per front, £137 per rear, so £450 all in.

Cheapest for PZero's is Tyreleader, rears are £125 + Delivery.

Cheers Matty

i have been window shopping around and black circles are cheapest also a near priced are Costco as I have a trade card but I think black circle allocated local fitters might be better ? 

I might just bite the bullet and change all 4 and then a piece of mind ? However I am conscious that I need to change front discs & pads so maybe doing the fronts only will allow me to sort brakes first as priority ? 

+ 1 on the PS4S tyres.

On our Type R the standard tyre is the Conti sport 6 and these are generally a good tyre but just just far too soft.  On a fairly lengthy commute I hit the buffers at 10k miles on the front set.  I've had numerous hot hatches in the past and always got 16k plus doing the same type of mileage to and from work.

I've never been a fan of PZero's.  I had a set on a Cayman and about half way through their life span, they sort of went off.  It amazes me that these tyres are standard on so many super cars.  I've now fitted PS4'S all round on the Civic and so far so good.  The MPSS tyres on my 400 are also wearing well, despite generally more spirited driving.

If you can get a deal on Goodyear F1's then they are worth considering.  I've read 5 major independent tests where the Goodyear's generally come in second or third to the Michelin's and when I got my PS4S tyres the Goodyear's were about £20.00 cheaper (each).  The Goodyear's are also comparable on wear to the Michelin's it would seem.

• Gold FFM

With about 4mm of tread remaining and a 4000 mile round trip to Spain planned, last September I swapped out the 19" rear P Zeros for a pair of PS4S's but kept the Pirellis on the front as they still had 6mm+ on them.

The Michelins are certainly quieter and when pushing on a bit, they do seem 'stickier' with the front end showing a slight tendency towards understeer. As I don't always drive like I stole it, this didn't bother me so I was happy to live with this compromised set-up for the time being.

A few weeks back, I decided that it was time to change the fronts (they've still got about 5mm left on them and will be 'recycled' for use on my daily driver which will shortly need a couple of tyres, conveniently takes the same size, and is currently running P Zeros anyway) and of course came up against the problem of the PS4S not being available here in 18". 

On the recommendation of Baptiste ( @rallyesax ) , our resident Michelin expert, I set out to order some Pilot Super Sports for the front as they are seemingly as close as you can get to the PS4S in terms of compound and construction. Unfortunately, nobody had them in stock and I had to wait for a batch to be manufactured. Finally, just yesterday, they arrived from Camskill (£98.65 each FYI) and I'll be getting them fitted in the next few days.

I've got great expectations of improved steering response and a further reduction in road noise - fingers crossed, 🤞 . 

• Like 2

On 08/04/2019 at 23:44, MattyB said:

I paid £448 a few weeks ago with the discount code - amazing the price variance over short periods.  Late last year I was quoted £550 from Kwik Fit!!!

Well I'm having the PS4's fitted tomorrow morning, so I'll be interested to see once the "sheen" has worn off. I'm more paranoid about the local garage knackering the wheels and/or being able to jack it up properly. To be fair, they were really good with my Elise, but I used to take the alloys to them, they didn't have to jack it up.

Yeah that's always a worry - the guy that changed mine had been waiting for it to come in all week so I knew he was going to be really careful - he cleaned the wheels for me afterward too!

I'm driving at a Pistonheads event tomorrow - it'll be my PS4's first proper road trip - reckon theyre scrubbed in enough now.  Having just watched that video above, I think its spot on - fast road tyre and I don't think I've lost anything to the 4S for road use.  No plans to track my car, but if I do, I would want a different set of wheels and tyres...

On 09/04/2019 at 09:01, au-yt said:

Sorry I cannot compare it to the PZero as the dealer fitted the PS4S's when I bought the car.

I believe that when the 400 was launched Lotus moved away from Pirelli to use Michelin instead so that would have been the factory setting then

Edited by PAR

@Alfa2Evora not sure if you’ve had them fitted yet mate, and apologies for the negative comment if you already habe, but I’d avoid the PSS if you can. I’ve had them on a couple of cars, they grip reasonably well at first, but go ‘off’ very shortly after. On both cars, I’ve replaced them WELL before the tread expired as there was just no grip left. In my mind, the PS4 would possibly be a better tyre. As I understand the PS4 and PS4S are the next generation over the PSS (is PS4S replaced PSS).

From what I understand from watching the videos on the tyre reviews website both the PS4 and PS4S are improvements over the SS.  The PS4 does not have motorsport derived construction similar to the SS and PS4S but the PS4 is still an improvement over the SS. The SS has very slightly better feedback though the steering wheel compared to a PS4 but overall PS4 is better.  I really don’t think there is a lot in difference between SS and PS4 so not the end of the world if you have fitted SS. 

I am in the exact same position, have P zero's on mine and the rears need replacing.  The only reason I would stay with them, as mentioned before, is to get more from the fronts.

Am trying to stretch to change over to Michellin PS4 too, only heard good things about them and the better wear rate is a definate plus.

PZeros were substandard tires back in 2011 when I had them on a different car and tire technology has moved on so much in the meantime.  I cannot imagine running them on a car currently, especially if I ever drove the car in cool weather and/or rain.

Check out the new Bridgestone S007A.  Relatively inexpensive and lightweight, stiff sidewalls but still rides better than the OE PSS on my 400, excellent grip.  I can't comment on how long they will last yet but they don't seem to show much wear even after some very hard backroad runs.  In theory it is sort of in between the PS4S and the SportCup2 in terms of grip.     

I ****ing hate tyre places.

New tyres on, obviously will take time to bed in - however one of my TPMS stems was corroded and snapped. £90! for one of their universal ones. Wasn't worth the hassle to revisit later, and pay for another refit/removal to fit one slightly cheaper.

And they chipped one of the alloys - or more accurately, the paints flaked off, it's not actually damaged the rim at all. I've no evidence it wasn't them, so it's not worth chasing, I've been down that route before and it's more hassle than it's worth.