Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Type 130 - Lotus Evija - Page 27 - Type 130 - Lotus Evija - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Type 130 - Lotus Evija

Tex

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but I think it wouldn't take much to change to the generic look of the Esprit, which until the Evija I reckon was the most beautiful Lotus made. Adding the small window behind the door and tinkering with the curves to make them more wedgie and the side scoops could do it.

image.jpeg.ce7c6f3935b7b8044f37dd29679a0b05.jpeg

My perfect Lotus Esprit. 3DTuning - probably the best car ...

DanR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing that baffles me about the development of the Evija is the complete absence of any spy shots or similar anywhere on t'internet. It's quite normal to see photos pop up of forthcoming models, usually disguised with lumpy bodywork, being tested in varied conditions around the world. Are we to assume that the Evija either hasn't been tested on the open road at all, or is so well disguised that people think they're looking at some other car? Is Lotus just gong to rely on its customers to do the testing? As much as I love my Elise, the niggles do bother me occasionally, but I can live with them. If I paid £1.7 million for a car, it'd need to have zero defects. How can a manufacturer produce such a vehicle if it hasn't been through rigorous testing? Maybe someone here will prove me wrong - perhaps there has been a lot of testing, and I just don't know about it.

I read about some testing in December: "Following extensive simulations, plus initial on-track sessions in the UK and Italy, Lotus has now rolled out the most complete version of the car built to date" (from this article). But driving on a couple of tracks is very different from driving thousands of miles in arctic or desert conditions. A large percentage of these cars will, no doubt, spend some of their lives being thrashed along baking-hot middle-eastern highways.

Paul, 

I imagine they are doing or have planned to do significant testing of the car we just don't know about it.  Quite often the car manufactures themselves tip off the camera men when and where they are doing the testing to create hype.  It's rarely a camera man hiding in a random bush in waiting to get luckily and for a prototype to pass by.  The Lotus press strategy at the moment appears to calm a measured approach, not creating too much hype around the car so I imagine thats why you have not seen as many "spy shots" articles in the motoring press.  One of the articles above says they had a few test cars about in Europe that they had to quickly get home due to COVID lockdown measures across the world.  Lotus also have their own test track so they can test, tweak and refine the cars all within company grounds.

I think this will be one Lotus product that won't have the usual Lotus "quirks", the engineering and quality control will have to be absolutely top notch.  You can get away with quirks on a ~£150K low volume production sports car but I don't think it will be acceptable on a £1+M hyper car and I'm sure Lotus know that too.

In the article Jonwat has linked to, Matt Windle is quoted “much more to come in the very near future” 

lets hope we see/hear more of what is to come before we turn to old to enjoy the new cars

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

• Gold FFM

So  @Bibs, when do you get invited to Hethel and have a go in one seeing as you are the leader of the Lotus official community partner?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...

Other high profile posters have done on this topic previously, so I shall risk putting this link here too.  I wonder if Gordon Murray will take my Evija as a trade-in? Quite a lot of detail apart from the incredible power train. (Apols if duplicate - my search didn't find it.)

https://www.evo.co.uk/supercars/22743/gordon-murray-automotive-t50-powertrain-details-revealed?_mout=1&utm_campaign=evo_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

• Like 1