Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 73 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

We need to do more than stand up to the EU, we need to put them into shock mode!

No £39b, Germany & France have substantially increase their contributions or the rest have to substantially reduce their demands from the cash pot. To the majority of the leaders of the EU27 & their citizens, whom I believe don’t really get a say on what is being suggested and are probably only “conveniently” informed, blame Tusk, Junker & Barnier for there inept gung-ho approach

• Like 2

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, PaulCP said:

their very blatant attempt to punish the UK so that no other nation dare try to leave in the future)

So we are guaranteed to be worse off in trade with th EU when we leave. Otherwise everyone will leave. 

The absolute best we can do is "as good as if we were still in"  but his isn't going to happen  

Thyr need us more than we need them eh?

• Gold FFM

Wouldn’t it be nice if just one of these politicians told the truth and laid out the real implications for all involved.

trouble is - I’m really not sure any of them know the truth - other than junkers pissed again

Only here once

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, LotuStuart said:

Yes they most certainly do...

Our trade deficit with the other EU group of countries 2016/2017 was 70 billion, yes that's 70,000,000,000..... If a tariff was to be set on UK goods of let's say 5% we can mirror that tariff, if trade between us and the EU remained the same our economy would be 3.5 billion better off. THATS HUGE.

Of course trade between the EU and the UK will certainly drop as a consequence, which in turn will effect the EU far more than us. But we will have the benefit of free trade with everyone else China, India the USA ect ect, 

We certainly don't need a deal with the EU and they know it. At last May has had the balls to call their bluff. They may well cut off their noses to spite their faces in fear of other nations seeing the light, that would be a disaster for them. Bring it on.

• Gold FFM

@Steve V8 don’t forget the value of the £ will fall though.

which will make our stuff cheaper for them lot - and hence probably increase exports 😂

Only here once

2 hours ago, LotuStuart said:

So we are guaranteed to be worse off in trade with th EU when we leave. Otherwise everyone will leave. 

The absolute best we can do is "as good as if we were still in"  but his isn't going to happen  

I never expected us to get the best, i.e. "as good as if we were still in" and I think that anyone who did was totally deluded. It's like asking the wife for a divorce and still expecting a shag once a week. It ain't gonna happen! Well not with you anyway lol.

They need us in more ways than one - the main thing is the UK was always a good counterfoil to the extremes within the EU. We brought a different perspective, some common sense, and we were a practical participant in the Union.

They do need our trade - they sell a lot of stuff to us and in the short term, being denied to that market will hurt some of them quite a bit. However, let us not forget that we need them for exactly the same reason.  So a "good deal" that works for both benefits both. That's just common sense. Also, a no deal leaves a pretty big hole in their finances of £39bn and as a result they need to either spend less or tax more their own people.  That'll be popular.

A Canada "deal" sounds OK to me to be honest for trade in goods and we could start there quickly and the CETA agreement does not bind us to freedom of movement, or to pay for access, etc.  We could then commence discussion on Services but I would expect us to have to pay to get that access sorted.

So, not the end of the world just yet, though plenty out there are sure predicting it is coming pretty quickly. We all need to be careful what we wish for just in case it comes and bites us in the bum, big style.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Trouble is Britain being a always tow the line country will probably still give them 25billion because “it’s what we agreed to in the budget”. To be honest the world is heading for a major war as too many countries owe too much to other countries mainly China. The normal person gets squeezed more and more with less services.  After all that’s what most wars are about...... sadly.

Now if we were France we would agree with everything then never pay a franc and not follow the rules.

2 hours ago, LotusFella said:

Now if we were France we would agree with everything then never pay a franc and not follow the rules.

How very true. The ONLY real problem with France is their ruling elite in Paris. France had a revolution to get rid rid of the ruling Elite but they just replaced them with others that are worse.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

And Macron is the worst of them. Seems determined to punish the UK. About time some of the smaller EU countries stood up to the French and Germans because surely they are the ones who will suffer most from us withdrawing from the EU

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Am in Malta now and nice to see where our money is being spent. No wonder the Maltese president is so vociferous about wanting us to stay

• Gold FFM
On 24/09/2018 at 15:32, Bibs said:

For all the people that live and work between NI and Eire. It'd be a massive ballache for them. 

Hyped up rubbish, and more scare mongering and excuses.

Take a drive from Germany, France, Italy or Austria into Switzerland who are NOT in the EU, you wouldn't know you'd crossed the border until you try to put a Euro in the parking meter. 

• Like 1

With Jezza and his band of militants demonstrating this week that they are firmly off their rockers the outcome does indeed look bleak.

Their concept appears to be

1.whatever the Tories do we have to opposite it, even if some of us actually agree with it because this is the role of the opposition. 

2. Let’s promise everything to everything by way of invisible carrots even though we know we can’t deliver. This of course doesn’t matter since everybody will be happy that we have displaced the Tories

3. The mad woman’s speech yesterday when she called for a national strike if May doesn’t call a general election said it all.

4. We have the answers to everything and can deliver a great Brexit deal within a month

Wait for Jezza’s closing speech when he announces that, when he is finally in number 10 he will change the name of the country from the UK to the UPRZ, the United Peoples Replica of Jezza

Keep rolling Jez and your band on militants, you are giving the electorate every reason not to vote Labour. 

Whilst the Tories have not covered themselves in glory over recent years Corbyn has destroyed Labour as an alternative party

22 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Hyped up rubbish, and more scare mongering and excuses.

Take a drive from Germany, France, Italy or Austria into Switzerland who are NOT in the EU, you wouldn't know you'd crossed the border until you try to put a Euro in the parking meter. 

Switzerland joined the Schengen Area in 2008. They have the same people movement rules as Iceland, Lichenstein and Norway who are also not part of the EU. 

Eire could do the same, but May is touting the idea of a hard border, which in defence of my point would be a massive ballache for those living there.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

On 22/09/2018 at 22:04, pete said:

And Macron is the worst of them. Seems determined to punish the UK. About time some of the smaller EU countries stood up to the French and Germans because surely they are the ones who will suffer most from us withdrawing from the EU

Macron is absolutely getting massacred at home an is bombing all over France. He needs to hit the UK to deflect the heat from himself.

Eire is the Republic of Ireland is it not so if so it is already in Schengen and does not need to join.  The UK government could "allow" Northern Ireland to join the Schengen zone (thereby allowing freedom of movements across the Eire/NI border) but they won't as that would create a "hard border" between NI and the rest of the UK, effectively splitting the UK apart.  This is what May is referring to when she says she will not allow the EU to force the split up of the UK.

The only workable solution would be  "hard border" between Eire and NI, however, there is nothing stopping the free access of citizens from either country easily passing to and fro over the border. A bit like now at the main UK border crossings, you have UK and EU and the rest in different queues.  Well, in that instance you could have Eire and NI passport holders in the fast track queue (aided by technology) and everyone else in the slow queue.  That way the Irish do not get too inconvenienced and for everyone else, well tough, get over it.

The small print.

52 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Eire is the Republic of Ireland is it not so if so it is already in Schengen and does not need to join

Eire is not in the Schengen zone as it has an opt-out as does the UK.

2 hours ago, march said:

So in that case what has got to do with the EU, couldn't UK & Eire just stick to the current agreement & have an open border.

CTA (Common Travel Area) predates the EEC/EU by quite a few years.

Open borders between GB & NI, Ireland. Isle of Man & the Channel Islands - the latter two are not members of the EU

3 hours ago, march said:

I had not realised that. Thanks for correcting me. What's the issue then? We could extend our border checks to Dublin, Cork etc. Just like we do in Calais. Non?

The small print.

When we fly into Dublin from Spain, we had our passports checked. On flying onto the Uk, there wasn't a passport check at Stansted.

So once again Italy is in danger of a banking crisis and heading for a showdown with Brussels. The vice premier has called Juncker and his aides  "enemies of Europe barricaded inside their Brussels bunker" 

How apt!!