Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
OOPS, CRASH BANG, REPAIR AND RENEW .. - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

OOPS, CRASH BANG, REPAIR AND RENEW ..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Lovely stuff mate.  Really looking forward to getting hold of this superb suspension setup!  No doubt I shall pickup soon...

• Thanks 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

These pictures should come in handy for reference to supplement the instructions when I get around to fitting this setup to mine :cool:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

5 hours ago, CHANGES said:

What this Esprit exposes is the fact that the previous owner did some suspension work which now appears to be very DIY. At the time it would have seemed an asset , but in truth very poor.. 

Oh boy I hope this is not what the next owner of my car is thinking 😀

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Outstanding stuff. 

I'll be in the market or both front and rear setups next year hopefully; Dave are you planning long term availability of your kit?

Signature not working...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave, the car is looking fantastic. I've been speaking to some people about a complete respray for my dry sump and they've suggested once sanded back to either gel coat or a well keyed secure surface an epoxy primer will be used to seal and then filler primer for flatting back before base coat. You seem to go filler primer (Upol reface?) on the sanded surface and fully flat then primer. I presume it's ok to use either method and both would achieve similar results?

Many thanks, Steve. 

@Steve4012  Yes either method will be fine . Different shops have different methods and products. This comes from what they have been using during training or what they have found works best for them .. I think the one common thing is the repair where gel crack or damage is, or could be !  A re-gel or GRP with finish mat as i have done on this one Will insure the quality of the repair .. I would not rely on just filler and a Reface primer in those area's , its will not have such a good bridging quality as a mat would .. If all the crack has been removed then this is not such an issue , however experience over the years has taught me you can never be 100% sure where impact damage is concerned .  Where you are just renewing the substrate quality then a full sand back and application of any of those products should achieve the desired result.. One of the most important parts is to seal in / isolate so that solent soke down will not soften the repairs or original surface leading to mapping much later on ..    Sounds like the guys you are talking to know their stuff, so many just repair prime and paint.     

• Like 2

Remind us please, what sort of paint with which to finish engine bay, boot and wheelarches? Finish these before or after the body exterior?

Cheers

On 21/02/2021 at 18:14, CHANGES said:

Because we are fitting polly bush radius arm bush we need to fit the larger dia bolt as fitted to the S350 .  This does mean the early radius arms need the hole drilling out to size . without doing this you will have a sloppy fit of the bolt in the bush .

Hi Dave @CHANGES, what are the dimensions of the bolt? Looks like to be a M12 8.8 one.

Esprit Freak

The bolts that I purchased last week were M12 x 140mm grade 10.9

The reason I got 140mm was because that was the closest I could get to actual shank length under the head of the bolt before thread started. You need 98 - 100mm of shank, so the 140 bolt at 100mm was perfect and I simply cut 15mm off and re-dressed the end of the bolt.

• Gold FFM

Dave, stunning as ever. Can I ask how and where you learnt all of this? I cannot believe how much work goes into prepping before paint. Really interesting stuff so thank you 

1 minute ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

That is going to be one very proud and happy owner, fantastic work Dave so hats off to a true artisan.  🙇‍♂️ 

Dave :) 

I am overwhelmed by the build Daves work is amazing 

• Like 2