Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2! - Page 18 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2!

Thanks for all the feedback,

I’ve just been rereading above responses and also the threads regarding your S1 builds, with respect to the doors……thank you for the inputs as I jumped into the side bar private reg conversation and got distracted.

The build up process seems daunting @Fridge and also in view of your thread @Lotusfab, also Paul with the historical issues back in the day from your thread….

Going back to Dave’s comments about dry hanging the doors, mine came mostly complete but one was off the car, the other assembled and on the car.

Both had various bits taken off, locks / window motors etc but are still complete assemblies.

The NS door was complete and hung (seemed ok) so I removed this as a single unit, at the time with a view to take as a complete assembly to the painters. But it’s too heavy so I will need to strip both to get the skins off or risk them getting damaged anyway.

Dave, you mentioned scoring the beams which I will do to get the approximate positions of everything anyway. Window frames have the quarters in and these are staying as appear to be in OK condition.

I’ll record all the shims but to your point above Dave, the doors will need rebuilding from beam upwards anyway, so I may not faff around dry fitting them before paint and delay the rebuild as a result.

Major components will be back to me soon so need to juggle the body and mechanical space around, milestone for me to get the bare painted body back on the mechanicals, but could still be a while away!

Photo added of aerial hole filled in, deleting this to maintain the lines….

CC0EB48E-6A62-4E86-8768-8B88F6BE92B9.jpeg

56113BDF-B7FB-44D9-BF77-8C6F76932059.jpeg

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The main takeaway about the doors whilst they are disassembled is to fit improved bushes and pins to avoid wasting time in the long run.

Phosphor-bronze are the best, and far better than the nylon ones fitted originally. I also replaced the door pin with a stainless steel items.

Are these both SJ items off the shelf or engineering solutions I need to investigate, based on the several builds where you guys blazed the trail?

34 minutes ago, JonSE said:

Are these both SJ items off the shelf or engineering solutions I need to investigate, based on the several builds where you guys blazed the trail?

No, but any decent machine shop could replicate them. Worth the effort! The nylon bushes are rubbish.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, JonSE said:

Matt Oxley on here sold me some.

You must fit these the plastic ones are absolute rubbish. The door will move around as they wear.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

My engineer friend has had the expansion tank for a while, but I’m going to scrap it…..he’s opened it up and I’m going to buy new, versus saving this thing….

The bottom pipe had rusted away, I had this happen on an SE I owned on the charge cooler circuit. Rot destroyed the outlet at the base of the tank, but clogged it so the tank looked full still!

Led to the pump burning out!!!

Is there any merit now I need a new one to adding more water capacity via a larger tank?

Looking at the state of this, I expect the cooling jacket etc to be a bit compromised.

Once a 100% new cooling system is installed, is there merit in still flushing the whole thing through a few times to purge it of any contaminants etc quite early on??

My plan remains to delete the heater matrix and replace with electric, but to maintain the water loop that exits C4 to allow the cooling that the matrix once brought with it.

Just wondering if a restrictor is required to mimic the little radiator I’m replacing or if the full flow is ok. Could even fit an aux water pump in there at the front chassis area to help with return flow…..

E7BE023F-A066-485F-A06B-632B42CFB31E.jpeg

9B508731-A932-4584-88AA-D3FF229D6758.jpeg

I’d like to fit a front towing point to the car if possible.

Later cars had an option of a hidden metal loop with a spreader plate that bolted under the front floor.

I know when I’ve seen an S2 towed in the past onto a flatbed they just looped flat tow rope around the wishbones etc but I’d be concerned about distortion?

Ditto the rear if its towed backwards, using the u-channel or similar as a mount risks the same?

Plus there may be instances where it needs to go forward on recovery.

Anyone explored this or is it not necessary?

I thought about a large spreader plate with a towing socket hidden behind the front number plate which will be removable, similar to the standard set up below, while the car is apart and accessible….

AFDAE9CE-FF29-4212-942B-7EC9258FE31B.jpeg

Numberplate is mounted on a plastic bumper, which in turn is mounted onto a plastic body.......

Remember the car only weights about 1,000kg.

• Thanks 1

I’d create a spreader plate inside the front body behind the place where the bumper mounts, behind here if that makes sense.

The SE version I had was remarkably small plate wise but was mounted horizontal under the spare wheel, didn’t inspire confidence and the tow rope exited through the front duct which to me looked as it it might foul the body!

This plate would be say 10Cm by 100cm with the threaded female bang in the centre and a hole in the bumper in front to allow an eye to be inserted.

Just around the point this car is draining it’s ballast from the submarine tests we did recently (sshhh, it’s secret!)

4130170C-9210-437B-9C1A-E5276D8305C5.jpeg

You crack me up Jon.

But not as much as the cracks in the front nose section that would no doubt appear after using this idea.

• Haha 1

I have seen Esprit towed onto a flatdeck transport via straps carefully wrapped around the lower TCA's at their inner pivot points, no concerns for damage given the light vehicle weight. 

• Thanks 1

From memory ( haven't seen the body for a while ) , there is a plate bolted to the front floor that the spare wheel bolts to - could this be modified to suit ? 

The Elise has a vertical bar in the grill that the tow eye screws into - when the breakdown truck collected mine we agreed to just push the car on .... 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I was pulled onto a recovery truck the guy used a set if these straps so I bought a pair and they've been really useful. They hook around the suspension front or back.

https://slingsandstraps.co.uk/products/even-pull-brother-strap/ 

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

24 minutes ago, peteyg said:

The last time I was pulled onto a recovery truck the guy used a set if these straps so I bought a pair and they've been really useful. They hook around the suspension front or back.

https://slingsandstraps.co.uk/products/even-pull-brother-strap/ 

Pete

Advert says they "fix onto the axle"

Yikes!

On my Turbo, I made up a plate from 3mm steel plate, with a doubler inside the frunk, that sandwiched the frunk floor to spread the load in the plane of the floor. Obviously for light duty use, but much easier than groveling under the car or damaging the spoiler. It's pulled the car down the road , and onto a flatbed so far.

Not sure the layout on an S2 though...

TowHook (7).JPG

Tow Hook Backing Plate.JPG

TowHook small.jpg

• Thanks 1

I need to cut the newly filled-in area around the rear lights to allow for the new light surrounds.

I’ve zero fibreglass experience!😁

Is there a particular way to do this and do I need to refinish the cut edge with resin again (or anything??)

080A1934-DD4F-4FE3-8CEA-0E2DCBEDD732.jpeg

1 hour ago, JonSE said:

do I need to refinish the cut edge with resin again (or anything??)

No :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

Much appreciated!

Have to get the doors stripped and the small bits of paint left on the body sorted so my paint man can think about a booking slot, so will be progressing this in the near future….

• 1 month later...

Well done, Jonathan! That collection of pics brings memories of my early efforts. The sound deadening material is indeed heavy but there is some correlation between weight and sound abatement as I understand things. I'm intrigued by products latterly available that incorporate both squishy foam and fairly dense polyvinyl to form a 2 element sheet, whereby the PV forms the primary sound block and the foam de-couples that from contact which would transmit energy.

Cheers 

• Like 1