Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Type 131 - The Rumour Mill - Page 14 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Type 131 - The Rumour Mill

Bibs

3 minutes ago, Frickin_idiot said:

The Dealer network in the U.K. needed a major overhaul in quality and quantity.

The dealer local to me has ditched its Lotus franchise - I presume that the level of sales didn’t justify the expense of renovations.

Maybe that's why they are going with mall stores like Tesla?  Foot in the door is a lot less than greenfield building.  Plus, it attracts new buyers who may not have considered a Lotus before.  Sign up at the mall and go somewhere else or they come to you for a test drive?

• Like 2

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

One thing I wanted to mention is that the teaser car seems to be silver or metallic grey. I hope they display one in a lurid colour as well at the GFOS launch. I think the Evija in that vivid yellow looks even better than the silver launch colour.

Of course, we all have different tastes, but it would be nice to see some different colours from the very start to appeal to all tastes.

• Gold FFM
27 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

One thing I wanted to mention is that the teaser car seems to be silver or metallic grey. I hope they display one in a lurid colour as well at the GFOS launch. I think the Evija in that vivid yellow looks even better than the silver launch colour.

Of course, we all have different tastes, but it would be nice to see some different colours from the very start to appeal to all tastes.

Absolutely.  Leave the silver and grey launch nonsense to the others.  These should be statements!

Boutique mall stores and displays will really broaden the appeal & presence of Lotus.  Think of all the brands and stores you would've never had heard of if you weren't at a mall.  In regions where there may be competing Lotus franchises, the customer can be allocated to the closest dealer based on their zip code.  I hope Lotus can organize Cars and Coffee's through the States and bring on some brand ambassadors who'll really put in an effort to promote Lotus. 

If a few retired American racing legends like Jeff Gordon, etc... promoted Lotus it would do a so much for brand.

Unprecedented usability means good rear visibility so expect a large glass panel next to that engine air vent pictured. It also must mean good rear 3/4 vision so expect a good glass canopy. Could be a good think, works for me on McLaren 720S.

One of the big questions is EPAS or hydraulic steering. Geely will want EPAS for sure, it allows for much easier integration of the tech, alllows for lane keep assist, active parking assist and other such modern features that are deemed beneficial for daily useability. Gavan Kershaw on the other hand might want to insist on hydraulic steering for the last word on feel. It's a big decision but somehow he managed to keep hydraulic steering and brakes for the Evija, can't have been easy. Very interesting to see where they go with that.

• Like 1

The car appears to have some major haunches on the back. So far everything of the teaser images looks great IMO. Looks weren't my major concern though as Lotus has rarely made a car I thought was ugly. I know those test mule images of the Evora with the fender flares makes me think the Emira may be wider than the Evora? I wonder if that means wider tires, which means more power. I know I have been somewhat negative with the information I have heard, but I am still excited to see what the Emira brings to the table. I have put of my future car shopping until then.

• Like 2

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

1 hour ago, DaveC72 said:

Agreed, and in addition

THEY MUST TAKE IT RACING

Not in some brand/model cup, but proper multi-brand international stuff.

Looks like it may happen : https://www.autosport.com/gt/news/lotus-gearing-up-for-return-to-international-sportscar-racing/6273942/

RML is a serious motorsport company, able to run a full works program. But if GT4 then it will be mostly privateers. As the Emira is poised to be another giant killer in top spec form maybe they will go GT Le Mans for factory + GT4 for GT WC.

They are testing the waters with the Lotus Engineering JBXE Racing and experiment and that puts the name out but Geely group is pro motorsport Both Volvo and Lynk & Co have had major international programs in the last few years. I'm confident we will see the brand come back to racing in a near future.

• Gold FFM

...and Polestar was a racing team before Volvo acquired it and Volvo/Geely decided to use the name for an electric performance brand.  The racing team changed their name to Cyan Racing but are still Volvo-backed, and Polestar Engineering still works on performance tuning. 

11 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

RML is a serious motorsport company, able to run a full works program. But if GT4 then it will be mostly privateers.

I too believe or at least it makes the most financial sense is put in a real support effort to privateers.  Make the Emira a compelling choice with the factory behind it.  If Lotus continues with best of breed components, it'll be a racing hit.

Slightly OT, but I remember parking up my GTE on a side street in Wellingborough a few years ago. When I came back to the car, an old retired gentleman was poring over it. We got chatting and he told me he used to work for Ray Mallock and was seriously impressed with the aerodynamics and carbon fibre parts and in particular the Gurney flap integrated into the rear wing. He said it makes a real difference to downforce.

Well, Lotus is well known for aerodynamics and such right? I mean they even had Elan perform well. I also remember

reading that when different cars, including botth front engined and mid engine sportscars, were actually

tested in the wind tunnel by third party, cars from Lotus matched stats announced from Lotus themselves

better than other cars. I think the car tested was Exige.

And having Emira enter racing series could definitely help. Actually, if you think about it,

every car Emira will face all can be found in different racing series in different capacity

so perhaps they would have to make more efforts. And it would be great if road going versions of such

cars were introduced as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Likuid said:

The car appears to have some major haunches on the back. So far everything of the teaser images looks great IMO. Looks weren't my major concern though as Lotus has rarely made a car I thought was ugly. I know those test mule images of the Evora with the fender flares makes me think the Emira may be wider than the Evora? I wonder if that means wider tires, which means more power. I know I have been somewhat negative with the information I have heard, but I am still excited to see what the Emira brings to the table. I have put of my future car shopping until then.

Bigger tires do not always mean more power 😉. A McLaren 540c weights about the same as an Evora 430, its front and rear tires are 19/20 inches like the Lotus but they are more narrow despite 100 more HP. 

Concerning Emira, we will see. As long as it's light, I don't care about its power 😁

Makes a lot of sense to carry over one of the Evora's best attributes. I hope that's the case but it will limit some of the tech applications that Geely are so keen on. EPAS is essential for stuff like self driving - something that would deliver against the promise of unprecedented usability. Geely were talking a lot about autonomous driving tech back at the 70th Anniversary event at Hethel in 2018. Their ambition was to be world leaders in it.

16 minutes ago, Stirling_Villeneuve said:

I honestly don't miss stirring a box of cogs while pumping away on the clutch with my left foot, least of all on the M25

Yes, but then unlike you I am very fortunate to live in a rural part of Scotland, close to the mountains, valley's and Loch's with empty roads that wind and twist up and down and around. As a result, EVERY drive in my Evora is an adventure even more so when i use the excuse to go "food shopping" as that round tripe is very rarely less than 120 miles!  :)

You can keep your semi-auto on the M25. That scenario is not for me!  :shock:

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!