Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or........... - Page 3 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or...........

On 21/04/2021 at 06:07, C8RKH said:

I've put about 600 miles on the car in the few weeks I have had the MPS4S's on over the CUP 2's.

Are the Michelin PS4S just the standard tyre or is there a 'LTS' spec branded/approved by Lotus? The 340R has Yoko LTS branded so just checking before messing this up.

Justin 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No they are not LTS branded.

Even the PSS or PSCup2 that are fitted brand new from the factory for Evora 400 or 410 are not branded. They are not specifically developped for the car but Lotus did test a few combinations to pick up the Front and Rear axle tyres that had the best match with the car.

That's why you find a mix of RT and OE spec on the car. 

If any full development are undergoing or will be done in the future, you'll find Lotus markings 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

1.8 front & 2.0 is what I use on PSS.

However, the OEM TPMS might not be too happy with those values (and can’t be adjusted, BTW). 

Blimey that's low!!!

Can I ask why that low? Does it handle better or is it more about comfort?

Cheers

@rallyesax I've now got MO P Zeros on the front and MO PS4S's on the rear......Am I going to end up in a hedge?

😂 That's a good question, never tried this kind of combo. 

I don't know what's inside an MO spec Pirelli. It depends of the car it was developed for and was made to match with a specific rear to fulfill a specification of dry Handling, wet Handling, RR,... 

It's a proper Lottery there 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reindeer said:

Blimey that's low!!!

Can I ask why that low?

Ah, my mistake. I’m glad that you got me to check. That should be 2.0 front, 2.2 rear. (These were the ‘standard’ Evora 400 pressures for the PSS). 

But, 1.8/2.0 seemed to be working fine today on a brief ‘blast’. 

6 minutes ago, rallyesax said:

😂 That's a good question, never tried this kind of combo. 

I don't know what's inside an MO spec Pirelli. It depends of the car it was developed for and was made to match with a specific rear to fulfill a specification of dry Handling, wet Handling, RR,... 

It's a proper Lottery there 

Nice one! I'll keep you posted about how many hairy moments I have this summer!

• Haha 1

On dry roads and if your not tracking it, you will be very fine/safe. 

On track, you could just end up with a very unbalanced car (understeery or oversteery) 

On the road, it's only on the wet that you might struggle a bit depending of compounds and volumic ratios. The car might be not so grippy on the front or tail happy in the roundabouts more than usual... Or not. 

• Gold FFM

I would expect understeer when wet and/or cold with the Pirelli on the front, not much of an issue I would think.

Think I'm running 2.2/2.4 F/R on my PS4s at the moment. Mainly because I don't want the TPMS to buzz at me. TPMS triggers at below 2.1 I believe which is annoying.

Edited by TdM
Mistype on rear pressure

• 1 month later...

Well bit if a thread resurrection here , just pulled the trigger on a set of PS4S'S in the 18/19 size combo now the're available for the LE from the tyres on the drive lot as they've a 15% discount running and I can watch them do it whilst working from home. Hoping it will feel a little better balanced on my August Donny track day with LOT than it did at Blyton with Corsa/Rosso PZero mix it has on currently ...taking a bit of a flyer though and haven't replaced the tpms sensors as there all behaving.  

• 8 months later...

I love the difficulty of getting this right 🤪

Which one is the best?

PS4S

rear

255/35ZR19 (96Y) XL ★

255/35ZR19 (96Y) XL MO1
255/35ZR19 (96Y) XL

255/35ZR19 (92Y)

255/35R19 96Y XL GOE
255/35R19 96Y XL ★

With the P Zero’s it is

MO front

MO1 rear

PS4S front is only available as plain XL type

225/40ZR18 (92Y) XL

After 10 years of P Zero’s I am going to change to PS4S  

Bibs - would you mind asking Gav or someone else at Lotus, please? 
I believe XL front and rear was suggested at some point?

Edited by series_one

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the useful info everyone, I am due a full set on my 410, I currently have Cup 2's all round. It looks like the consensus for fast road is PS4S as the Cups are widow makers in the cold which it is 40-50% of the year and the wear rate is awful :lol:

My only worry is the car will loose some of its handling if I switch, there must be a reason they spec'd the Cup2's? I am only fast road, no track days, what do people who have switched think?

• Gold FFM

I haven't tried the cups on the Evora but switched in the past on another car. I suspect you will notice a difference somewhat. They are great tyres on the road but they do have a little bit of lateral movement in the wall which introduces a slight delay at the limit to my butt/finger feel. You may also lose a little granular feedback on road surface as they 'slur' across the road surface more. It's when you are just on/past adhesion and you can really get a feel for whether the tarmac is tight grain or wider stones, it's not communicating that as strongly.

However, are you going to notice that 99% of the time? Probably not. PS4s are really good all the time all year round.

• Like 2

If you still want a sporty feeling tyre have a look at the Continental sport contact 7 or the Goodyear eagle f1 super sport.

They can’t match the all round road tyre abilities of the Mich PS4S but they have a sharper turn in and more feedback.  Lean towards the Conti for road use and towards the Goodyear if you do track days. 

• Like 1

I had Goodyear on the LF1 Exige, which many road only Exige owners seem to opt for over the factory Pirelli. 

Seemed good to me, though I tend to drive slow in, fast out with regard corners on a public road.

Justin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I'm also interested in knowing what the Contis and F1s are like on the Evora, I do hear that they are very good in general. One of those things where someone would have to bite the bullet and have a go.

There’s a u tube video from that guy that does a load of tyre reviews the PS5’s were still pretty well tested so I guess in comparison to other premium brands Michelin still a good buy 

I wonder if PS4S will be discounted as there’s PS5 now available ? 
I am happy with my mix of PS4 & PS4S 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TdM said:

I'm also interested in knowing what the Contis and F1s are like on the Evora, I do hear that they are very good in general. One of those things where someone would have to bite the bullet and have a go.

I guess most people either use their car as a daily so the Mich PS4S makes a lot more sense or a Sunday special car so use the Mich Cup2 as spec'd by Lotus.

Contis and F1 are middle ground in between them.  Also I find Lotus customers tend to stick to OEM spec as Lotus are renowned for their chassis tuning more than others so don't want to ruin the world class handling.

If the community want to club together and buy me set of tyres I'll happily test them out on my NA Evora 😉

57 minutes ago, TdM said:

PS5 doesn't replace the PS4S. I suspect there will be a PS5S at some point but might be a way away yet.

Still need to read up fully on the PS5 but that was my understanding too.