Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The 131 engine - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The 131 engine

Where would you want the type 131 engine to be sourced from?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Keeping it in-house will definitely have advantages and should give Lotus engineers more freedom.

I don't care much for Toyota or Honda, and definitely not Renault-Nissan.

AMG would be nice but only if it's a V8.

The Ford Ecoboost V6 might just be a sweet spot underdog!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

3 hours ago, Escape said:

I don't care much for Toyota or Honda, and definitely not Renault-Nissan.

The Nissan GTR V6 was always an interesting animal in the Renault Nissan group. Would not have mind if it was used in something prettier. 

1 hour ago, PAR said:

The Nissan GTR V6 was always an interesting animal in the Renault Nissan group. Would not have mind if it was used in something prettier. 

That must be the exception to the rule. 😉 I was thinking more along the lines of the V6 as used in the DeLorean. But mostly it's poor experiences with Renault diesel engines that have me biased.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, NedaSay said:

An article from October 2019?? Pah. Ancient history. 😉

Also: “The new sports car is currently thought to be coming with a Toyota engine, though.” 😂

If my memory is correct, there has only been two German engine in a Lotus before. One was the Lotus branded en stone car when it got a Mercedes engine in it.

The other one was heavily modified by Lotus and I will people figure out which.

Lots of Japanese engines particularly in the last 30 years.

Some Renault, a bunch of Ford.

It will be interesting t9 see what the last ICE will be!

A race between Toyota an Mercedes it is then...! I voted Toyota - reliability trumps high tech and high expense for me; as fascinating as say the new engine in the A45 is, its just too damn complicated  and has been said above, the the german engines are not the reliability machines we think they are (though I'm looking more in BMW's direction when I say that)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PAR said:

If my memory is correct, there has only been two German engine in a Lotus before. One was the Lotus branded en stone car when it got a Mercedes engine in it.

BMW V10?
Also the 3 litre Opel straight six that was radically modified for the Carlton.

How about going American   -  

As the power behind the 2019 Corvette ZR1, the new supercharged 6.2L LT5 represents the pinnacle of Chevrolet’s performance: It’s the most powerful engine ever offered in a Chevy production vehicle. 

up to 755hp.

15 hours ago, PAR said:

I guess you mean the Carlton? No idea about the first one though.

Yes, the Carlton has a German engine.

The other was Enstone made Lotus branded f1 which had a Mercedes v6 before they become Renault again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stratosboy said:

double hgf!!!

The KV6 series used in the v6 cars does not suffer in the same way. I have done 4 K series head gaskets, but my KV6 keeps going. But will need a belt change as still original (2003).

4 hours ago, Techyd said:

(though I'm looking more in BMW's direction when I say that

Yeah, BMW engined Range Rovers per chance?

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

How about going American   -  

As the power behind the 2019 Corvette ZR1, the new supercharged 6.2L LT5 represents the pinnacle of Chevrolet’s performance: It’s the most powerful engine ever offered in a Chevy production vehicle. 

up to 755hp.

I believe that engine weighs almost 600Ibs.  No place for that in a Lotus. I believe the Toyota V6 is around 400Ibs.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I think a £150k car is going to be a hard sell if it has an engine that’s shared with a humdrum Toyota or Volvo, so it needs to be a bit exotic whoever the supplier is, which rules out Volvo.

The Toyota V6 is bloody brilliant in the Evora, but it just gets derided as a “Camry” engine by the critics. AMG is probably best for credibility.

30 minutes ago, Neal H said:

I think a £150k car is going to be a hard sell if it has an engine that’s shared with a humdrum Toyota or Volvo, so it needs to be a bit exotic whoever the supplier is, which rules out Volvo.

The Toyota V6 is bloody brilliant in the Evora, but it just gets derided as a “Camry” engine by the critics. AMG is probably best for credibility.

150k car gonna be a hard sell whatever engine it’s got in it- at that money there’s proper choice from all the big boys- and it’s going to be a while till lotus can mix in them circles

To part with £150K the car would need to have the Lotus V8, £25K more than our GT430! 

I thought Lotus senior management team had stated the new car would be in the same price bracket as existing cars; £60K - £110K where has £150K come from?

might need to give local dealer a call tomorrow, can feel a hole burning in my trouser pocket 

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

11 minutes ago, DarrylV8 said:

where has £150K come from?

Sometimes i think some people on here must work for Autocar.

• Haha 2

The small print.