Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear Magazine Evora S 2010 Article - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear Magazine Evora S 2010 Article

Celica

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They always say "interior not as good as a Porsche". Speaks volumes about them and most modern 'drivers'; it's all about the bling/badge, not the drive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philcool said:

Just seems everyone on here has a hatred for porsche and the people who drive them ?

Not true at all to be honest and plenty on here defend Porsche and like Porsche cars.

You need to really read the comments, from people like me and others, to understand what we are riling against rather than play the usual "everyone's out to bugger me card".

There are two sets of "hater" comments if you like that I see prevalent on here and that I myself am guilty of peddling on here.

The first, is that there is a definite perception (but remember, ones perception is ones reality) amongst some (including me) that many Porsche owners are not really interested in driving, but just want to join the club and have the badge - bragging rights / look at me I have a Porsche/ etc.  Whilst this absolutely does not cover every single Porsche owner, it covers a large number in many peoples experience and that experience has included a sense of the Porsche owner feeling superior to / looking down on, owners of perceived lesser brands including Lotus.

The second, is that there is now a sufficient body of evidence out there to prove (in my very humble opinion) that journalists/magazines are perpetuating a myth around Porsche superiority/total dominance and that this is further strengthened by the brand disengaging with journalists/publications that deviate from a defined line.

Remember, by and large, TLF is a forum for Lotus fans and owners first, enthusiastic drivers/owners of cars second.  So why do people on here get surprised at a bias towards Lotus over something like a Porsche? I don't imagine you go on many Porsche enthusiasts forums to see them so enthusiastically supporting and lauding Lotus cars for instance.

Personally, I have no interest in performance SUV's, be they Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini etc.  I have little interest in the earlier Caymans or Boxsters as quite frankly, to me, they looked like something designed by Proton or Rexton and I can only surmise they sold BECAUSE of the Porsche badge, certainly not on looks.  It was hard sometimes to tell the difference on those early cars between the front and back! The only cars from Porsche I have ever really looked at in any detail where the GT sports cars - whether a GT3, GT4 etc and of course the Porsche CUP racing cars.  These to me are REAL cars, the others in the Porsche range are for hair dressers, accountants and dentists - just for show!  It's just how I regard Porsche personally.

The only time I really looked at a Boxster and thought, wow, actually, that looks like a car to own was the Gen 718.  In fact, at £50k new for one in Guards Red I could well see myself with one as a Daily Driver!  Wow!  Who'd have thought that....   I'd consider it whereas I would not consider an Elise 220/240/250 as a Daily Driver. And at roughly half the price of an Evora GT410, well, you can see why people buy them. I'd take the piss out of myself for buying one and probably put a L'Oreal or Babyliss hair dryers badge on the back (how cool would a hair dryer "track map" be!) and leave a pair of high heels in the passenger footwell.  Just to give ME a giggle every time I got into it. I guess my worry would be I'd enjoy it so much I'd end up going the whole hog with hormone therapy and a couple of minor ops to complete the image (oh, and a decent wig a la Jaclyn Smith of the original Charlie's Angels).

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, philcool said:

Just seems everyone on here has a hatred for porsche and the people who drive them ?

I have absolutely no hatred for Porker Owners. We all need hairdressers!

• Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

Well I've got a 996 and an Evora - as an owner of both I can see why journalists comment the way they do on the two brands. The Porsche is 7 years older and 30k miles further down the road than my Evora (which is a decent example) but it still looks and feels 'newer'. There is a precision to every part of the engineering on a Porsche which isn't perhaps shared by Lotus - where that precision engineering tends to only extend to the chassis dynamics, which admittedly knock the Porsche into a cocked hat.

And it's not just about compromises being made for lightness - the 996 (40 Jahre) has exactly the same power output as the Lotus and manages to weigh 75kg less. 

Anyway, love them both, in different ways :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jerzybondov said:

Well I've got a 996 and an Evora - as an owner of both I can see why journalists comment the way they do on the two brands. The Porsche is 7 years older and 30k miles further down the road than my Evora (which is a decent example) but it still looks and feels 'newer'. There is a precision to every part of the engineering on a Porsche which isn't perhaps shared by Lotus - where that precision engineering tends to only extend to the chassis dynamics, which admittedly knock the Porsche into a cocked hat.

And it's not just about compromises being made for lightness - the 996 (40 Jahre) has exactly the same power output as the Lotus and manages to weigh 75kg less. 

Anyway, love them both, in different ways :)

Any photos of them side by side 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jerzybondov said:

There is a precision to every part of the engineering on a Porsche which isn't perhaps shared by Lotus

I doubt anyone would "doubt" that statement is correct. But remember, Porsche has scale and volume at a level way beyond what Lotus could dream of and therefore Lotus needs to target where it "spends" it's resources.  Porsche still dips into the general VAG parts bin just like Lotus dips into everyone elses parts bins!

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

@jerzybondovLiving in London how are you not constantly having to repaint the sides from all the keying you get?

And there's one more thing you haven't mentioned. Looks! That last picture for me is like chalk and cheese. The Lotus looks new, modern and sexy and the Porsche looks old and dated IMHO.

• Like 1

Stop me and buy one!!

Lol, the cars live on a quiet side road - I haven't been keyed in London since my Mini got keyed about 15 years ago, in a ropier area too. 

Looks are (obviously) subjective - there are times when I look at the two cars and have exactly the same opinion you just expressed. The Lotus is mini-supercar, the Porsche grown up Beetle. And other times I think the Lotus looks fussy and the Porsche just looks cleaner and classier. Girls seem to think the Porsche looks better, FWIW 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jerzybondov said:

Girls seem to think the Porsche looks better, FWIW 🤣

Nope - they just assume you are going through the usual middle aged mid-life crisis and so will be a honey trap for them to exploit!  :rofl:

• Haha 2

The small print.

Not my experience. 

Nobody notices Porsches in London, there are more in my street than Golf.

40 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Nope - they just assume you are going through the usual middle aged mid-life crisis and so will be a honey trap for them to exploit!  :rofl:

Don’t we just throw our keys with the fob of choice on the bar anymore?

• Haha 1

Personally I've never liked the look of the 911 and all current Porsches have the same design language. But that's just opinion.

What is objective though is I drove a near new 991.2 GT3 RS and its TPMS was faulty. Kept beeping at me even though tyre pressure measured and correct. So much for build quality.

Ironically, when people hear road noise in a GT3 RS they think it's cool cos it's a stripped out racer for the road. When they hear the same road noise in an Exige it's because Lotus cheaped out. This is what irks me. Its the perception that Porsche can do no wrong. They're great cars, but they don't seem to come up against the same criticisms of other manufacturers when it comes to journalist write ups, which then influence the weak minded who just buy the latest cool thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Chris Harris is a classic with that. porker and Ferrari can do no wrong.

Stop me and buy one!!

What gets my goat is that all the Porsches I've had (996 C2, 996 Turbo, 944 Turbo and Panamera Turbo) all turned out to be way less reliable and far costlier to run than the Evora has been; all quite significantly so, in fact.  Only just dodged a 10K gearbox replacement on the Panamera because the immobiliser cut in, stopping the car before the gearbox oil leaked to zero from a failed oil cooler!

Yet the Porsches are the "better made" cars?  Hmmm, superficially maybe, but not mechanically. 

• Like 1

I know 2 people in the VX community who both have Caymans and have attended local P meets etc. 
Their verdict, “the car is good & happy with it but most of the owners are knobs”

• Like 1

For me it's all about that word "Charisma".

I look at the Evora and Smile. Lets face it McLaren Copied the design so it must be good!

I sit in the Evora and that view, engine behind me and in the mirrors, that flaired wing...oh lordy.

I turn the key and she burbles into life and I smile

I warm her up and talk to her, stroking the soft Alcantara and I grin

Then I press that little Sport button and ............ I can't stop grinning.

For me Lotus has never been about the best finish or the best ride and handling. Its not about the Price or the innovation or design. Its not even the fact that my Dad had a hand in her design and that I have felt that Lotus is Home since I was 5 years old. 

It's that indefinable "Charisma". Its just the way it makes me feel. The way it smells. The way I have given her a personality. It's a mix of everything. And it makes me smile every time I get in her no matter how long I have had her!

• Like 2

Stop me and buy one!!

1 minute ago, Bruss said:

I hate to disagree with the Kimber heritage but the ride and handling is THE reason I continually drive Lotus. It is simply what I judge all others by.

I don't think you are disagreeing, just embellishing in a positive way.

The small print.