Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Drivers Pack and Suspension/Tyre Choices - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Drivers Pack and Suspension/Tyre Choices

I can see the choice of suspension set-up and tyre/tire choice being a tough one for most of us.

Here are the options:

p1.PNG.e991d3568d24048f256e735df2a04343.PNG

It currently looks like the Drivers Pack is included in the First Edition.

The conundrum is does one go for the Sports Suspension or the Touring Suspension (and which tyre with that).

p2.PNG.30166542d7364301756fef7d6d0a7875.PNG

This may have to be guesswork as we are unlikely to be able to drive all set-ups before confirming our spec.

My first though, as the V6 is to be a road car only, is that the Touring suspension that comes with the Goodyears is sensible.

However, the Sports Suspension with the Cup 2 tyres will give ultimate feel on the road (and track if you want) and is likely the set-up of choice in the second-hand market should you come to sell it  (unless it is proven to be too stiff for most road use)

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yeah, I recall that  - it will be down to personal use and how they like a car to 'feel'. I actually like a firm car though the firm set-up in the Sport 410 I drove was mad but controlling it was ultimately satisfying.

I may wimp out on the V6 - the AMG4cyl will def be the hard core choice.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 17:57, TomE said:

As I think I've mentioned on other threads, I'm going to take the advice I had from Gav Kershaw and go for Touring with the Eagle tyres, then swap to Cup tyres for track days if I feel the need for the extra benefit.  My use is 95% fast road, including the knackered surfaces on most Surrey A- and B-roads and some concrete-surfaced motorways plus maybe 5% on track.

He said Sports was track-focused and for most people doing road driving on mixed surfaces and the odd track day then Touring would be the best bet.  He also said Sport + Eagles for road use would be a bigger compromise than Touring + Cup for track.

Funnily enough asked my friend today who also has deposit down what he was going for chassis wise and he also mentioned going with advice of Gav re touring for fast road use. 

From comparing my Evora 400 I would say the 410 versions had better suspension for fast road use, but vs the V6 Exiges I’ve owned they were really too stiff for the cotswold roads I frequent, often getting the car airborne. 

Think Gav is probably right here, as if I look back to my Alpine A110 it was very supple suspension but absolutely nailed the bumpy roads at speed.  Same for my 52 year old Elan +2. It embarrasses many modern sport cars for ride control at speed.

Hmmmmm decision, decisions  

• Like 2

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Agh, we just don;t know. 

Sounds like I/we might have to play it safe.

I have other cars so I will never actually intend to ever drive the Emira in the rain. The Cup 2 tyres made sense.

Still, if the car is far too hard then it will definitely spoil the experience a bit.

I just don;t like the idea of 'settling' for a soft option. Doesn;t sit well with my ego 😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m still struggling on this also… I am new to Lotus and torn between comments regarding Gavan’s view and ultimately buying a sports car in a non-complete sport set up. Fwiw I drove a 410 this weekend that has been described by some as expected to be similar to an Emira sport set up and didn’t find it too firm!?! (I think) for my generally A and B roads.

Not quite sure where I am going with this but any useful advice appreciated 

• Like 1

I just suspect those that go for Touring will end up being disappointed in the end. 

Sports 'sounds' better and may also be more desirable when one comes to sell it.

The 410 Sport I drove FAST was al over the place on the road when putting down serious power. At first I thought it was a bit too mad BUT on reflection it had ultimate feel and I would not to compromise on that for a Lotus.    As a compromise I am going for the Goodyear Tyres which I believe were specifically 'made' for the car.  This will also provide year round ability.

• Like 1

Good point. Also it’s the one thing you can’t be sure about until you’ve driven the thing. Would be mega annoying if you were an early adopter who confirmed your suspension option now, only to find that you would have preferred the other option after your car has been supplied.

• Like 1

🧐 indeed, which is what is annoying me. I’ve driven an Evora 400 and thought the suspension setup was good. So I asked Lotus which setup was most similar to that, I just got a reply with the text copied from the configurator on each option. 

I’ve ended up going with the touring for now, but I hope more information will come before a real commitment is required 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been vacillating between touring and sports suspension and was all set to go with the former based on never going to the track.

I thought I'd have a chat with a well-respected dealer, who shall remain nameless, to get his views. I drive an Exige which is very stiff indeed and absolutely love it.

His advice was go for sports. He even went as far as to say that touring is better for people new to Lotus - so called "conquest customers". Jag drivers basically!

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I am just as convinced by Gav's advice but, loving the Exige (and the sports Emira apparently being less stiff than that) my mind was made up. Sports it is.

• Like 2

I have said it before and I will say it again...  take it as you will but:

If you do NOT get the Sports set-up you will regret it.

The only decision is then then go with Cups as you will be track or dry weather only and know how to warm them up or the Goodyears - which is my choice as the compromise.

The sports suspension is not as firm as you will think.

What is the point of Touring suspension? Get a different car. This is a Lotus.👌

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking that it’s a bit disappointing that we can’t have “both” sports and touring.

If this was a P car it would have electronically adjustable damping.

I’d be surprised if Bilstein didn’t have off-the-shelf dampers for this.

On the Evora 400/410 Touring/Sports setups the only difference was damping afaik. Spring rates and roll bars etc were the same.

Then everyone could have the best of everything, all the time, at the flick of a drive mode switch.

But, costs and all that…

Coming from Exiges (and sports bikes before that) I’ve gone sports and I’ll probably think it could be a bit stiffer.

34 minutes ago, KJD said:

it’s a bit disappointing that we can’t have “both” sports and touring.

Agreed. I'd pay more for this if it was an option. Proper choice.

Yup.

There’s a lot of comparisons of the Emira to the Cayman GTS (it’s natural competitor) but this is one aspect where it falls down, unfortunately.

Have a Google for Evora Ohlins Mechatronics to see what could have been…

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Evotion said:

The only decision is then then go with Cups as you will be track or dry weather only and know how to warm them up or the Goodyears - which is my choice as the compromise.

Ade, you said this before and I disagreed with you then and will say it again.  Your comments are unhelpful. 

For many people Touring makes more sense.  Lotus agree, otherwise they would just offer one setup.  There are clear circumstances where Sport will suit some people and not others.  Ditto for Touring.  Sports isn’t an “upgrade” and Touring isn’t “regrettable”.

If Sports suits you and others then great.  60% of V6 FEs have been specified with Touring.  Of course it will drive like a Lotus.

4 hours ago, Evotion said:

How can you make statements like this when you have not driven the car? (and in differnt conditions on different surfaces). 

By comparison, having owned an Exige Sport 350 for many years I struggled to catch an Evora GT 410 which has a more 'Touring' focused suspension setup, on track. You may also find that the newer Bosch stability and traction control of the Emira (which the Evora or Exige does not have) changes the dynamics of the car. Oh and then there are the tyres developed specifically with Lotus for the Emira, in partnership with Goodyear, I wonder if they affect that handling of the car? 

1 hour ago, KJD said:

Have a Google for Evora Ohlins Mechatronics to see what could have been…

If you really want it, I imagine that you will be able to fit Ohlins & the Mechatronics kit to your Emira. 

(It’s not adaptive damping, btw).