Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Market Watch - Page 14 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Market Watch

rizla603104

Race bred drivers tool, beacon of British engineering, poster child and postage stamp, movie star, progeny of thee car designer of the 20th century, rarity, benchmark for mid engine rear drive, and icon across three disparate decades...

...and the prices should stay down!?

F*#k me if I'm not properly insulted on the cars behalf. Having to defend your car is for Triumph Stag owners.

[and no Im not a speculator]

• Like 1

http://www.conceptca...=t&eventID=1383

Data based on 4 auction sales •Average Sale Value : $34,313 •Lowest Sale Value : $22,000 •Highest Sale Value : $52,250

Other Model Year Averages Average Sale 2003 Lotus Esprit V8 $41,250  2000 Lotus Esprit $37,400  1999 Lotus Esprit $35,200  1998 Lotus Esprit $33,988  1997 Lotus Esprite V8 $46,500  1994 Lotus Esprit Turbo $29,058  1993 Lotus Esprit $25,145  1991 Lotus Esprit$15,966  1990 Lotus Esprit $23,113  1989 Lotus Esprit $15,599  1985 Lotus Esprit $16,250  1979 Lotus Esprit S2 $8,047  1977 Lotus Esprit$20,900 

I saw a good reciew on a n/a, you could drive it flat out round the lanes with out killing your self when the turbo comes in.

I agree with the above, the N/A is a very driveable and enjoyable car. I borrowed one from a friend a couple of times (while my SE was off the road) and loved it on country roads. It seemed easier to drive and at least as fast in the corners. Probably due to me not having to worry about the turbo kicking in and having the rear step out. The power of the SE already had me hooked though, so when looking for a replacement it had to be another SE for me. But I certainly wont put the N/A down, great car and probably better value for money (if you can live with carbs).

Filip

PS: No reason to have to defend a Triumph Stag, a great car in its own way and one I'd love to own again someday.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi Bibs, Not trying to knock the car. The Esprit is still the best thing since sliced bread and I accept that mine is hardly the best example. But I have had people ask if it is a kit car and have read press reports where it was stated they have a kit car feel. My one and only reason for selling is that I have reached the age where access to the various parts of the car is no longer something my body enjoys. My Z4 is now parked behind the Esprit and the Esprit is still the superior looker.

The problem with rocketing prices is that people tend to buy them as hopeful investments, lock them away and only take them to the odd show.  

Clear coat is DIRE... it's the one true Achilles heel of the Esprit. It crazes and falls off.... and the only cure is a total respray. Which is why I didn't clear coat mine.... just sprayed it solid colour with ICI Belco Cellulose. Don't give a stuff about what the moronic "collectors"  might pay... Still looks pretty good after 20 odd years. I accept that the stone chips need work... but then, the car is 33 years old. My first car was an MG TC from 1947... and I bought that as a chassis and a pile of tea chests at the age of 20 (for me!) and 19 for the car..... shows the difference in build quality....

Well my original clear coat (and paint) is still near perfect at 30 years old (apart from stone chips) - which I would imagine is long past the car's expected lifespan.   Suspect its a colour thing - e.g. white seems to bounce away most of the harmful effects of sunlight 

Sounds like I should have specc'ed the wife with that clear coat stuff, her paint finish is not wearing that well after 25 years...   :vava:  :getmecoat:

Thank Christ she does not know this forum exists. I'd be dead. :2guns:

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Sounds like I should have specc'ed the wife with that clear coat stuff, her paint finish is not wearing that well after 25 years...   :vava:  :getmecoat:

It's a common problem. It obviously should be a component of the bill of sale, a.k.a. the pre-nuptial agreement.

Apparently there are a never ending stream of new spouse clear coat products according the the adverts, including Jojoba, beeswax, aloe vera (who is this Vera woman?), squished vegetables, wildebeest piss yadda yadda. All amazing and recently discovered...

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Thank Christ she does not know this forum exists. I'd be dead. :2guns:

The current Mrs H is surprisingly weather resistant when going to ride her horse but not so much for anything Lotus related...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Haha, that's good. Yeah funny that eeyoreish as my wife is more than happy to get up early to "pop" down to Edinburgh for a day with some girlie pals but that that keen to get up early to join me on a local LEGS monthly outing with the other Loti.

Funny that..... ;)

As for all the potions, I've been to Halfords and bought her some pretty exotic stuff - dodo juice (equivalent to Chanel), 100% Carnuba from the darkest Part of the Amazon, Gliptone (apparently they do all L'Oreal's stuff) and the No.7 equivalent Autoglym.

I've had some success with all thos potions but find they need regular re-application for best results. :)

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

My wife is the SE version - like the car ;)

Regarding the autoglym etc, I find regular protection gives a slippery shiny surface, with some UV protection, but since there is clearcoat on the (red) paint, I cannot polish it up to be actually red Again, and protect it from there.

So, in the end, I'll need a full respray.

Oh those joys ;)

Out of all the wax'es I've ever used, I find the Autoglym Special canaubawax the best by far. Both in shine and easy application.

And going back to the prices soaring, our cars should now be worth some 10000 gbp more a year in Wax alone.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Honestly, for what it is, 55k isn't too silly? Aren't mass produced Porsches going for 225k right now? 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

If I had £55k to spend on a car this would be top of my list. The original and most iconic Esprit ever and the very reason I've wanted one since I saw the film when I was still in short trousers...

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Their claim that this was the original Bond press car seems unlikely, that would have had a Norfolk registration.

Funny how every white S1 is a genuine Bond car.