Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 75 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

I did actually (about 40 pages back) point out that many of the "First mass produced EV", Nissan Leafs were down down to 80 miles range, some even less. There's loads of articles all about them.

Not surprised they've dumped them off.

And don't forget most Manufacturers won't warranty the batteries past 8 years either!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Which shows ACBC was correct in the early '70s with regard Elite, Éclat, Esprit. Luxury cars with small engines and low weight.

Unfortunately the public don't agree; if they have a choice to buy a fat prestige car instead, they do. 

The solution: tax vehicles on weight and width.

Justin 

• Like 1

Lorry tyres? They're 15 times the weight of an EV and I doubt use premium tyres! 

What will be vilified next? First it was diesels, then any ICE and now tyres? They'll not want us breathing in our cars next unless it can be taxed in the name of global warming! 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

They already do. Be interesting to know how much more tax a fat person pays each year if they smoke, drive an ICE car, drink alcohol and eat out a lot, compared to a fit non-driver who lives on fresh air, water and vegetables.

You're assuming a lot there @LotusLeftLotusRight. I know many skinny people who smoke and drink to excess and are always off ill and at the doctors.

Me, I'm overweight for sure. Don't smoke. Never off work. Never at the doctors.

If only life was simple ;)

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

You kind of missed my point. We are always being told that people leading an unfit lifestyle put a disproportionate burden on the NHS for example. At face value that makes sense, but let’s look at my two extremes.

Fit person spends adult entire life being teetotal non-smoker. Travels by riding a bike or walking everywhere. So that’s say 50 years of zero tax revenue for the Treasury, but will still be using NHS resources to a certain extent throughout their life time.

Unfit person spends entire adult life drinking the equivalent of 6 x £8 bottles of wine per week, smokes 20 cigarettes per day and drives a car 10,000 miles per year. Current total annual revenue to the Treasury is about £5100. So at current rates that 50 years of unhealthy adult life would equate to £255,000 of tax that the fit person above is not contributing.

• Like 2

Runaway I Pace.  that's modern tech for you...........damned EV's.

Police ram runaway electric car after brakes fail on M62

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68500233

Jaguar Land Rover said the company was investigating as a matter of "urgency".

A spokesman said: "A full review is underway to determine the cause of this incident, which is still yet to be established.

"The safety of our clients and vehicles is JLR's highest priority."

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/massive-ev-discounts-on-the-way-as-car-manufacturers-feel-the-pressure/298948

‘Massive’ EV discounts on the way as car manufacturers feel the pressure
EV manufacturers have stock they need to shift or face hefty fines under ZEV mandate
They’ll need to offer massive discounts and aggressive financial incentives, says Tony Whitehorn
Leading automotive consultant urges them to make most of digital retailing

If you see the mag., The Spectator has what seems to me (no EV expert) a pretty good article about the realities of "newbies" in the current EV scene. It covers more than Apples' exit from their speculative EV venture.  That failed even apart from the nonsense "Self-Driving" aspect.  (That I've been posting about here for years.)

"As Tripp Mickle— who reported in the project in his excellent book, After Steve — wrote in the New York Times, the project has been a total disaster for years, and employees knew it. Over time, they called it ‘the Titanic disaster’. The project started in 2014, when Google’s self-driving car prototypes appeared to be a big deal, self-driving tech looked like the near future and Apple had many incentives to jump into the pond."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-apple-killed-its-electric-car/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CampaignMonitor_Editorial&utm_campaign=LIFE 20240310 SG+CID_0c41731ee0e8f7acabab7a2a23fcb527

The Spec. used to offer a few articles free to try and entice non-subscribers - might still do if start on their general site.

On 10/03/2024 at 09:28, exeterjeep said:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/massive-ev-discounts-on-the-way-as-car-manufacturers-feel-the-pressure/298948

‘Massive’ EV discounts on the way as car manufacturers feel the pressure
EV manufacturers have stock they need to shift or face hefty fines under ZEV mandate
They’ll need to offer massive discounts and aggressive financial incentives, says Tony Whitehorn
Leading automotive consultant urges them to make most of digital retailing

Our discounts have trebled in the past 3 months. I think the best EV discount we are offered is in excess of 25%. However working my figures, to make them work over 50% is required. But even then you can't force people to lease or rent an EV if they don't consider it a viable option for one of many of the reasons we have talked about here!

And it's not just about buying it in the first place! One constant is the need to charge it and Electricity is very expensive at present, especially filling up away from your home. Plus the govts plans to introduce tax on it when they have converted enough people.

Someone recently told me I was wrong and that they home charged for less than they used to fill up in their old Petrol car. I pointed out that actually it was around the same price as petrol, that they could only fill up late at night for that to be effective, on their package and that they just spent over £1500 for a charge point to be fitted. When you take that into account it'll take a long time to be cheaper than petrol.

What happens if you get home nearly empty and need to go out again? What happens if you have an emergency and you have no charge? You can't fill up locally in 30 seconds! Anyway, I digress.

Discounts have increased a lot because of large amounts of stock. And remember what i said about manufacturers "fudging" the figures? Nearly every manufacturer has been Pre-registering EV's for some time now. The down side is that they can't sell them very quickly even when much cheaper and forecourts are starting to fill up with EV's meaning less room for things that sell! Petrols and Diesels.

• Like 2

Stop me and buy one!!

Over here, word got out that a large leasing firm will rent a huge parking lot. It will be used to store new EVs as they just can't shift them.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I think I read somewhere that Octopus have secured 500million investment to expand their EV car business...so they are continuing to push EVs that nobody wants but where / how were they able to secure such a vast sum - someone somewhere thinks the tide will turn presumably and it will all come good??

So today the Government has announced it is to make some new gas power stations to provide us with electricity.  So the EV’s they are pushing us to use can run on fossil fuels.  You couldn’t make it up!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/12/rishi-sunak-new-gas-power-stations-blackout-risk-net-zero/

In many countries EVs are actually rolling coal, as that's the cheapest/easiest way to increase electric production capacity...

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

like I said above. China has built 100 Coal fired stations.

Stop me and buy one!!

Not just China, Germany has ramped up coal production as well. They needed to, because of opting out of nuclear, trying to move away from Russian gas and realising their industry needs something a lot more reliable than wind and solar.

1 hour ago, Kimbers said:

like I said above. China has built 100 Coal fired stations.

We possibly shouldn’t have closed our deep coal mines, we’ve lost a fair few coal power stations locally dare I say thanks too mrs thatcher?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430